Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 01:56 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,230,925 times

Advertisements

I saw an in-wall timer for lights at a home improvement store today in the clearance area that look liked it has been returned, but was marked down 75%. The display (clock) on the timer was on and set to the correct time and it even advanced correctly after 60 seconds even though it wasn't connected to anything. Don't these devices normally come "off" from the factory. What could explain why the time was displayed and advancing correctly on this unit in the store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 06:15 AM

22,606 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
What could explain why the time was displayed and advancing correctly on this unit in the store?
Someone set the time, and it is working properly.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:33 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,000,485 times
Quote:
I saw an in-wall timer for lights at a home improvement store today in the clearance area that look liked it has been returned, but was marked down 75%. The display (clock) on the timer was on and set to the correct time and it even advanced correctly after 60 seconds even though it wasn't connected to anything. Don't these devices normally come "off" from the factory. What could explain why the time was displayed and advancing correctly on this unit in the store?
You kind of answered your own question. You said it looked like it had been returned. In other words, it didn't come from the factory, it came from someone's house.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:37 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,296,429 times
Seems to me if you want to sell a clock or timing device, that the display model would be running and show the CORRECT time!

I've gone into cuckoo clock stores and NONE of the clocks had the correct time! Also jewelry stores selling *very* expensive watches - none of them have the correct time. These can be expected to do the same after your buy them.

So because the display model you saw had the correct time, I would consider this a good thing and buy it. And it sounds like someone in the store has a bit of intelligence!

Old 04-27-2015, 09:33 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,936,953 times
It's a returned items. That is why it's discounted at 75% off. Let me guess. Lowe's?

Someone probably had installed it and pulled the tab out of the batteries.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:13 PM

17,477 posts, read 66,104,344 times
Batteries!!!

They have batteries to keep the time & program in case of power failure.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:21 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,230,925 times
I purchased the timer and what's interesting is that it doesn't come with any wires (green, white, red). Instead, the owners manual indicates to place the ground, neutral, hot wires in the holes in the back of the timer? Is this a new concept. The holes in the back of the timer sure are small. Most timers I've seen have wires coming out of the unit that you splice and connect to the ones from your house. The battery looks like it's internal.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:42 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,508,022 times
Quote:
I purchased the timer and what's interesting is that it doesn't come with any wires (green, white, red). Instead, the owners manual indicates to place the ground, neutral, hot wires in the holes in the back of the timer? Is this a new concept. The holes in the back of the timer sure are small. Most timers I've seen have wires coming out of the unit that you splice and connect to the ones from your house. The battery looks like it's internal.
More info - brand, model, purpose, pictures, etc. - would make it much easier to answer this question.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:18 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,678,790 times
Talking Clock stores do it on purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I've gone into cuckoo clock stores and NONE of the clocks had the correct time!
Could you imagine going into a cuckoo clock store at 11:59:59 if ALL of the clocks had the correct time?

Old 04-30-2015, 09:25 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,296,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Could you imagine going into a cuckoo clock store at 11:59:59 if ALL of the clocks had the correct time?
I should think anyone working there would go cuckoo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House