Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:27 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,438 times

Advertisements

The house we are buying has a never renovated kitchen that we will have to live with for a year or two. It has one odd thing that I have never seen before - The handles for the cabinet doors are on the center of the doors. Smack dab in the middle even on the upper cabinets. These are fairly nice dark wood tall cabinets but I'm going to hate getting on my tippy toes to open a cabinet. Yes I'm short
so, switch the handles and replace them right? No problem but what do I do with the two holes that will be in the middle of each cabinet? I could fill each one and try to paint over but I have a feeling that will be a disaster. Anyone heard of putting some kind of wood rosette onto cabinets? Or, if I were to fill the holes and stencil something over the center (something bold and modern, no flowers!) what kind of paint would stay put over varnish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 08:48 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,754,224 times
Hmmm...you could fill it and stain it, but it might be difficult to match. What about some sort of carved wood piece that you could put on all of them? Places like Home Depot and Lowes have rosettes and fleur-de-lis and such. You might even be able to find some sort of decorative metal boss to just screw through the hole.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:33 AM

131 posts, read 577,423 times
What kind of wood are they? Are you willing to paint them? If not, can you veneer over them and stain to match?

Old 01-18-2008, 10:40 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,820,641 times
Handles on the center of cabinet door panels? Please post a picture, this I've got to see.

I'd consider replacing all of the doors. If you contact a cabinet door manufacturer directly, the cost would be less than you think.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:06 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,422 times
I've seen those handles before! How awful. I feel for you!

I second RoaminRed's idea. There is wood and metal decorative hardware out there that you could screw or glue onto the cabinets. I'm not exactly sure what store would have the best selection, but I'd check out craft stores and hardware stores.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:17 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,914 times
Yes, that is a really bad idea and makes opening them hard. There are brass plates or wood rosettes you can screw over the holes. Any hardwood store should have them. Easy enough to move the handles to the edges where they function well. You can get or make a template to do the screw holes easily.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:02 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
I've seen those fleur-de-lis stick ons at Joann's Etc. Hopefully, you have one in your area. If not try Hobby Lobby, Michael's or AC Moore.

Gotta see this too...please post pic!

Old 01-18-2008, 04:32 PM

857 posts, read 4,878,125 times
Is this house from the 1970"s? I've run across this a few times in houses that I flipped. I guess that was the thing back then.
I have painted the cabinets, or sometimes even painted and glazed, so then you can go ahead and fill it with wood putty, sand it and prime it and you will never know it was there. After you paint you can put the new hardware anywhere you want.
Since you say you have to deal with it for a year or two I guess you plan to redo the kitchen at some point. If so, unless the hardware is horrible you can just spraypaint it Bronze (brown) which is the popular color for hardware these days, and reuse it. Save your money for the new stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen cabinets with handles on center panel?? Ugh!!-img_0441_1.jpg  

Old 01-18-2008, 04:37 PM

857 posts, read 4,878,125 times
BTW, I forgot to mention on that picture above that it was a dark old oak kitchen and all I did was add the valance and crown. If you are going to paint your cabinets get a product called Liquid sand, and wipe it on 15 minutes before priming it. It deglosses the surface so the primer will adhere to it.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:37 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
BTW, I forgot to mention on that picture above that it was a dark old oak kitchen and all I did was add the valance and crown. If you are going to paint your cabinets get a product called Liquid sand, and wipe it on 15 minutes before priming it. It deglosses the surface so the primer will adhere to it.
Liquid sand is the bomb! I just went through 1/2 a gallon today,I am doing a total renovation of DD bedroom, floor to ceiling, including furniture..... I must be certifiable, just started a big reno for a new client this week, too! Thank goodness it wont be me doing the hard stuff for the client!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House