Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 44,988 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the replies. I had someone from the gas company come out plus the company we get our propane from and they detected a very small propane leak that was repaired but we still have the cabbage smell.not sure who to have come out to check for possible septic smell/leak. We did have a moisture problem in the basement that was repaired last year. The guys that fixed it directed the drainage pipe which drained the water from the house via the house tiles and joined that pipe to the pipe that drains the septic.do you think this could be the cause of the problem? I asked at the time if there was ever the possibility that the water could backflow into the septic and i was told that it would not but i still worry about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 01:40 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Surface drainage and/or storm drainage, or foundation perimeter drains should never-ever be connected to the septic system!
The leach field would be so overwhelmed with water it would fail.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 914 times
My stove oven might have a leak of gas because when i open it or when we get close to the stove it smells like gas im thinking that is what smells but can i call my gas company so they can check for any gas leaks? Just to be sure i have 5 kids and i am very worried that something bad might happen cuz on every room there is a gas pipe that we dont use anymore cus we have central heat but i do worry in the fact that they r there dont know what to do i have been cooking like this but recently i clised it cuz i found out if all the dangers that didnt new before thanks

Old 02-10-2015, 05:41 AM

1 posts, read 962 times
Hi there, You need to be very careful if something was not connected properly when , CO2 is a very deadly odourless gas and it could be leaking out especially if your cooker or oven is not connected properly. Check this website out for more information Cookers/Gas Fires - How safe is your home? Hope this has been helpful!

Old 04-22-2020, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 453 times
HELP
A month after moving into our new build home, I started smelling a faint chemically smell coming from my master closet that is connected to the master bath. My fiancé could barely smell it but to me it smells chemically or gas like but also kind of like something burnt. It doesn’t smell like rotten eggs to me. We had the gas company out and they didn’t detect anything and acted like we where stupid for thinking there could be gas in our closet. I purchased a combustible gas detector that clicks faster when gas is detected. It goes a little faster in our bathroom than in the rest of the house (yes we calibrate it each time) Then we told our builder who hired a plumber who came out and was rude non the less used his tool and said we didn’t have sewer gas. I tried to forget about it but today we smelt it and used the c.g.detector and it goes off in our bedroom and bath which makes Is making me super nervous. I don’t know what to do now. What could it be? We think it has to do with when we take showers but don’t know for sure.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:22 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Did anyone inspect the water heater's exhaust flue/chimney ? Is the heater near, or in the basement under, the closet ?

When we moved into a new home development some time ago, several neighbors had a similar problem. What was found was the flues had not been extended thru the roof. They ended in the attic crawl space !

Old 04-22-2020, 12:30 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
Do you have a sink, shower or tub that rarely gets used? The water may have evaporated from the trap. Run water down the drain for 30-45 seconds. Problem solved.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
20yo house and basement= moisture problem= mold.
I certainly don't equate "cabbage" smell with gas, LP or NG but, could possibly be methane from the DWV (Drain, Waste, Vent) system of the house. And as a general rule- disposals and septic don't go together. But, there are disposals that have enzyme emitters.
Without an actual physical inspection this is all conjecture based on the information at hand.
I've been quite vocal about issues we had with a previous well and septic system. With the septic, it was concern about whether there was leakage in the drain field. Turns out there was not.

But in terms of a disposal and septic system, we had no problems with our disposal and septic in the 20+ years we lived in that house. House was built in 1979. We had a backup in the disposal once, but it had nothing to do with the septic.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:31 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,088,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin58 View Post
Thank you for the replies. I had someone from the gas company come out plus the company we get our propane from and they detected a very small propane leak that was repaired but we still have the cabbage smell.not sure who to have come out to check for possible septic smell/leak. We did have a moisture problem in the basement that was repaired last year. The guys that fixed it directed the drainage pipe which drained the water from the house via the house tiles and joined that pipe to the pipe that drains the septic.do you think this could be the cause of the problem? I asked at the time if there was ever the possibility that the water could backflow into the septic and i was told that it would not but i still worry about that.

Gas company and propane supplier? You have both? That would be very unusual. Why?

Old 04-24-2020, 08:37 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Gas company and propane supplier? You have both? That would be very unusual. Why?
You're replying to a post from 8yrs ago!!! The Poster is long gone (2 posts). As have others above. This thread was resurrected from the dead by "Hollylauren"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House