Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 07:11 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,110,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninotchka P View Post
Whirlpool or Maytags are good.
Whirlpool maks maytag they bought them out, also they make Kenmore. And if you have hard water when the dishwasher is done throw in a 1/4 cup of viniger to get glasses spot free. And to clean the inside of a dishwasher throw in a jar of powder citrus drink like tang and run a cycle on the dishwasher, the citric acid cleans the inside of the dishwasher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 07:45 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,981,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Home Depot has a Maytag (same company as Whirlpool now) with a stainless tub for around $500 (black or white exterior -stainless is more) and it has great reviews.

Maytag Front Control Dishwasher in White with Stainless Steel Tub and Steam Cleaning-MDB4949SDH - The Home Depot
I like this one. It fits and it is energy star rated. And free delivery! Does anyone know if hookup and removal of the old machine is included or extra charge?
I am about as excited as I can be about buying an appliance

Old 05-09-2015, 07:46 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,814,244 times
I also vote for KitchenAid dishwashers but they are much more than your price range...

Old 05-09-2015, 07:48 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,981,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
BE SURE IT FITS! I'm not a dishwasher expert but I'm a facilities/maintenance type of gal. Get a tape measure and make sure the new one will fit or the honeymoon will be over.
Thank you, yes, I would have totally forgotten to measure! Years ago, I forgot to measure when I bought a refrigerator but luckily it fit

Old 05-09-2015, 08:44 PM

17,450 posts, read 65,825,352 times
A "standard" dishwasher fits a 24" space.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:19 PM

983 posts, read 1,176,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Bosch. Dishwashers | Stainless Steel Dishwasher | Best Rated Dishwasher
Buy one that has a list price of $940+.
Cleans well. Follow the instructions.
Quiet. A huge factor for me.
Reliable.
This

My new home had a new Stainless Steel Bosch dishwasher and has been working flawlessly for 3+ years.

I run it on short cycle always as it cleans so well and also is very quiet.

Not sure its cost ... it came with the house

Old 05-09-2015, 09:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,056,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Bosch. Dishwashers | Stainless Steel Dishwasher | Best Rated Dishwasher
Buy one that has a list price of $940+.
Cleans well. Follow the instructions.
Quiet. A huge factor for me.
Reliable.
We bought a Bosch and we thought it was a good appliance. It was amazingly quiet. But the newer dishwashers have long cycles. They do a better job than 20 years ago. I wouldn't do without my dishwasher.

We inherited a newer Kenmore that does a pretty good job. It is not as quiet as the Bosch was. It is a bit roomier.

I do not think the dishwasher is useless. I've always used mine, and been happy to do so.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:52 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,801,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
I like this one. It fits and it is energy star rated. And free delivery! Does anyone know if hookup and removal of the old machine is included or extra charge?
I am about as excited as I can be about buying an appliance
I'm sure installation would be extra. My brother recently got a new dishwasher from Best Buy, as he had a gift card for a few hundred bucks to help the cause. Delivery was free but he had to pay an installation charge.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:33 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,632,794 times
Bought a new home in 1989, sold it in 2005 and purchased a new dishwasher for the home when I sold it because the original one had never been turned on. Lived in my present home ten years and have never turned the DW on.
Two people here, the dishes are washed as soon as they come off the table and are put away.
I use very little water, I take the largest bowl, even if it's a small cereal bowl, and put hot soapy water in it. I have 190 degree instant hot water so don't need to run the water to get it hot. I use the water in that bowl to pre-wash all the dishes, then new soap and water to rewash all dishes, then light rinse. I never allow the water to run.
As for the poster who says my dishes aren't sanitized, The are washed with soap and hot water, I'm three days older than God and never been sick, so I guess what few germs that might be left haven't caused me any harm.
The hot water sanitized dishes in your cupboard are just as germ covered as are mine after a few minutes on the shelf. Sterilizing them is a good germ deterrent for only a few minutes, no longer, unless you are placing them in a temperature controlled, sterile cabinet, otherwise you're just fooling yourself......

Last edited by Nayabone; 05-09-2015 at 11:47 PM..

Old 05-10-2015, 12:23 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,255,891 times
We bought a Bosch recently, based on Consumer Reports' recommendations. It was a couple hundred $$ over your budget, as I remember. It's extremely quiet, which is great. If you can find a Bosch in your price range, CR seems to evaluate them highly regardless of price point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House