Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 07:21 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times

Advertisements

So I bought a new faucet and arranged for the store to send a plumber for the installation. Charges were $100 plus $50 because my house is older than from 1978. The faucet was installed, but a leak developed from where a large pipe goes into the wall. The plumber said he would have to return the following day and couldn't repair it for free, but would do it for a fair price. Price was $150. So far all this has cost $300 plus the $79. cost of the faucet. I didn't check the job before paying so didn't realize he left a mess. There's a half inch of space left around where the pipe goes into the wall and some of what was torn out is sloppily patched, but not nearly all. One of my hand towels was used to catch water from the leak and was put into a bowl I'd had on the floor. Then the wadded up towel is covered with debris from where he made the hole in the wall. Some debris is also on the carpet....a pile of white granules. ]

The store will be calling for my report on their plumber. I'm hoping it means the mess will be cleaned up and I get a refund of the second bill. What are the chances of that happening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 07:58 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Doubtful. I would talk to management about the bad repair. It shouldn't leak and they should have fixed it for free.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:16 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
If this was HD or Lowes-

It's par for the course. Bet you won't do that again!

Old 05-09-2015, 08:46 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
All large appliance stores sub out installation.
They tend to not hear you when you complain about an "independent contractor".

Old 05-09-2015, 09:27 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
A plumber is not a drywall patcher/painter nor is he a cleaning woman!

And being the rates they charge by the hour, it would be MUCH cheaper to hire a handyman to patch the hole and paint - and a cleaning person to clean up the mess. (Painters are not cleaning people either.)

Fixing and remodeling requires tearing holes in walls and making a BIG mess.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:30 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
I had issues with Lowe's contractors in the past. Started with the local store manger, escalated it to the regional manager (called another store manger and told him why I need name/number) and got things done. Frustrating but to my satisfaction.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:53 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
A plumber is not a drywall patcher/painter nor is he a cleaning woman!

And being the rates they charge by the hour, it would be MUCH cheaper to hire a handyman to patch the hole and paint - and a cleaning person to clean up the mess. (Painters are not cleaning people either.)

Fixing and remodeling requires tearing holes in walls and making a BIG mess.
The workman who come to my house leave it in the same condition they found it in, meaning they clean up whatever mess they make. That is considered part of the job.

I actually had a recent job done involving some carpentry work, so there was sawdust on the floor. I told the worker to just leave it, because I was going to be doing some cooking afterwards and was going to wait to vaccuum and wash the floor after that. His boss happened to stop by for something else and saw the sawdust on the floor and was about to blow his top when I explained that I had asked that it be left that way.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
The workman who come to my house leave it in the same condition they found it in, meaning they clean up whatever mess they make. That is considered part of the job.

I actually had a recent job done involving some carpentry work, so there was sawdust on the floor. I told the worker to just leave it, because I was going to be doing some cooking afterwards and was going to wait to vaccuum and wash the floor after that. His boss happened to stop by for something else and saw the sawdust on the floor and was about to blow his top when I explained that I had asked that it be left that way.
I've had many workmen in my home over the years and none have ever left a mess for someone else to clean up until this recent job. Thanks.

Last edited by Rubi3; 05-09-2015 at 11:04 AM..

Old 05-09-2015, 02:53 PM

This job was with Lowes and a man called this afternoon for my assessment of the plumber's work. I told him about the mess and he came to my home with a camera. I'm only 5 or so miles away. Took pictures and will talk to the plumber owner probably Monday morning. He said the mess will be taken care of and he apologized. So I'm feeling much better about it all.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:00 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
I'm glad you have gotten some positive response so far, and I hope they follow through and actually take care of it.

But for future reference, I would recommend finding your own tradespeople including a good all-around handyman. Try Nextdoor.com or local facebook groups, talk to your neighbors, if you attend a church or some other institution in your community, ask for references there.

You will be much better off than being at the mercy of some random subcontractor sent out by one of the big box stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House