Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 12:17 PM

90 posts, read 209,550 times

Advertisements

So I own a duplex with a detached 2 car garage. What I'd like to do is tear down the current old garage and build a new three car garage with a 2 bedroom apartment above. I'm not sure where to begin though.

Do I start by getting approved for the loan?

Do I go to the city to have it approved first?

Do I find a builder/architect first?

Also, does anyone know if adding the rental unit changes anything with getting the loan? This addition I'm nearly positive will add great value to the property. I just bought it in 2013 so there isn't much equity yet. I'm also very sure that the rent I get from the place will more than cover the loan. I currently get $1200 for half the duplex, and that's with a discount bc I know them. Any new construction rentals in the area are going for over $1000/month and those are studio and 1 bedroom units.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 12:39 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Before you borrow a dime, start at your local city codes office to see if the zoning even allows your plan.

If it does, they will likely have to approve your plan and issue your building permit, so you need to get to know them.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:32 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
Your first stop is your local zoning office!!

Old 05-16-2015, 02:40 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Start at the Zoning office as mentioned to find out if it's even allowed, it may very well not be. It could violate density restrictions, for example.

If it is allowed you then need to have plans drawn to take to Planning and Zoning, or whatever office approves new construction. Again, you might be turned down there if you can't meet various restrictions such as green space requirements, storm water management, setbacks or off street parking requirements (many areas require 1 1/2 or 2 off street spaces per rental unit. Some also tie the number into the number of bedrooms per unit). You might be able to get a variance for the setback issue. That will likely involve a public hearing where the neighbors can weigh in pro or con.

Now is when you get financing, with the plans drawn and approvals in place. Don't forget to include demo money for what's there now.

Long story short is that you're going to have to spend some money (for plans) before getting approval one.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:45 PM

90 posts, read 209,550 times
Ok thanks guys. Looks like I'll be heading to town hall.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:48 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct4life View Post
So I own a duplex with a detached 2 car garage. What I'd like to do is tear down the current old garage and build a new three car garage with a 2 bedroom apartment above. I'm not sure where to begin though.

Do I start by getting approved for the loan?

Do I go to the city to have it approved first?

Do I find a builder/architect first?

Also, does anyone know if adding the rental unit changes anything with getting the loan? This addition I'm nearly positive will add great value to the property. I just bought it in 2013 so there isn't much equity yet. I'm also very sure that the rent I get from the place will more than cover the loan. I currently get $1200 for half the duplex, and that's with a discount bc I know them. Any new construction rentals in the area are going for over $1000/month and those are studio and 1 bedroom units.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

Start with zoning but one very important thing you need to remember is that this addition will only add great value to the property IF you find the right buyer when you decide to sell.

I would not personally even consider it let alone look at it but I do not want a duplex or an additional rental unit that is right next door.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:43 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Will local zoning allow such is the first hurdle. Secondly is an architectural plan. Third is a general contractor and bids. You say you own a duplex. I would want to inform my next door neighbor to prevent them from getting upset and trying some legal action if they do not like the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House