Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 09:30 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times

Advertisements

I'm all out of options here. I live in Central Texas. Just moved to a heavily treed/wooded area swarming with mosquitoes. I literally have twelve bites and they seem to target me more than my husband or my kids. It's getting ridiculous. They get into the house since they're hanging around right outside of the door. As soon as a kid or someone else throws open the door, in they go. I can't see the damn things but I know all of these bites aren't coming from the outside. I have tried Mosquito Joe at my last property with no success. This time I'm trying Terminix's Mosquito control.

Does anyone have any luck with anything? I don't want to wear DEET in my own home! I love my house and area but this has gotten out of hand.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 09:45 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,404,759 times
The best way to get rid of mosquitoes it so remove their breeding grounds which is in some body of stagnant or otherwise non-flowing water.

Check your lawn, house and woods to get rid of places with stagnant water. This can include but is not limited to:
Garbage cans
Gutters
pools
ponds
puddles
birdbaths
empty cans or tires
pottery
tall grass
wet leaves.

I have several acres of woods behind my house but have tweaked the area to have no standing water. I can sit in my woods and never get bitten. I would guess I get 3 mosquito bites a year on my property. I can go to my neighbors on either side who have standing water near their house and get eaten alive.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:52 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
You COULD get a few bat houses, and that would do a lot for the mosquito population, or put up a purple martin house (to late for this year, but next year get it out by March) as they eat nothing but flying bugs and are wonderful to watch build their little communities of families!

I find that taking Vit B complex each day for about 5 days and then they don't bite me anymore at all...seems that Vit B makes a "smell" that the female mosquito does not like. Trust me, I live in S Texas (San Antonio) and when I forget my B Vitimans for a day or two, they REMIND ME quickly to get back on it. Again, takes about a week before totally effective, so give that a try! You can buy any Vit B complex at Walmart or HEB cheap. Just need the one per day.

Living near a greenbelt area is wonderful, except for these darn critters that want to eat you alive!!!

Hope this helps!

Old 05-05-2015, 10:15 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
The best way to get rid of mosquitoes it so remove their breeding grounds which is in some body of stagnant or otherwise non-flowing water.

Check your lawn, house and woods to get rid of places with stagnant water. This can include but is not limited to:
Garbage cans
Gutters
pools
ponds
puddles
birdbaths
empty cans or tires
pottery
tall grass
wet leaves.

I have several acres of woods behind my house but have tweaked the area to have no standing water. I can sit in my woods and never get bitten. I would guess I get 3 mosquito bites a year on my property. I can go to my neighbors on either side who have standing water near their house and get eaten alive.
Great suggestions. Stagnant water is the main breeding ground for mosquitoes. I used to live own a home which had a drainage ditch right next door. Never again! That plus living in Houston made my life a constant battle with mosquitoes. Also, if you have pets and/or birdbaths, be sure and change any outdoor water regularly. Mosquito larvae will even breed there. EEEWWW!

Old 05-05-2015, 10:28 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm all out of options here. I live in Central Texas. Just moved to a heavily treed/wooded area swarming with mosquitoes. I literally have twelve bites and they seem to target me more than my husband or my kids. It's getting ridiculous. They get into the house since they're hanging around right outside of the door. As soon as a kid or someone else throws open the door, in they go. I can't see the damn things but I know all of these bites aren't coming from the outside. I have tried Mosquito Joe at my last property with no success. This time I'm trying Terminix's Mosquito control.

Does anyone have any luck with anything? I don't want to wear DEET in my own home! I love my house and area but this has gotten out of hand.

Thanks!
Get your lawn sprayed regularly.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:28 AM

161 posts, read 297,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Get your lawn sprayed regularly.
I use this spray monthly and it has cut down on our mosquito problem quite a bit.

Amazon.com: Permethrin SFR 32 oz Bottle: Health & Personal Care

Old 05-05-2015, 11:35 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren34 View Post
I use this spray monthly and it has cut down on our mosquito problem quite a bit.

Amazon.com: Permethrin SFR 32 oz Bottle: Health & Personal Care
Use a professional service every 4 weeks or more as needed. That stuff is evidently not good enough.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:36 PM

935 posts, read 3,446,992 times
Mosquito FAQ

Old 05-05-2015, 01:43 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,790,192 times
What to Eat to Avoid Mosquito Bites

Nutrition Diva : What to Eat to Avoid Mosquito Bites :: Quick and Dirty Tips

Old 05-05-2015, 02:39 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
The only way you can completely rid yourself of mosquito bites is to STOP BREATHING!

No amount of clearing vegetation, stagnant water, or chemical "repellents" is going to make the problem go away.

Turning blue yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House