Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 10:50 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times

Advertisements

I moved to an apartment that has a front loader washing machine/dryer combo. I wash pretty much all my clothes in the gentle cycle or permanent press, and hang them up to dry so they last longer.

This washing machine has a very rudimentary "lint trap" that has large holes and can catch large items but it does a very poor job with lint overall. Corduroy pants are always coated with a layer of fine lint and any other fabrics that attract lint always have a layer when they come out. I pretty much have to use a lint brush over all my darker clothes once they dry and it doesn't work great.

This was never a problem with my prior top loader washing machine.

I am very careful not to put things in the wash that can break down and cause lint. I don't overfill the machine with clothes, and use detergent amounts as instructed. I use Costco or woolite detergents for HE washers.

Is there anything I can put into the actual washing machine with the clothes that will not damage them but can actually help catch lint? Some sort of soft mesh item, for example?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 06:26 PM

Bump

Anything?

Old 05-20-2015, 06:37 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
You're not going to like this suggestion.

Try doing your next load at an updated commercial laundry.

It sounds like the washer is poorly designed, plus you may have some major lint build-up that requires some time with a good lint brush. If you're using an old one or a lint roller, try a new one like this. They aren't expensive:

Evercare Magik Brush 2-Sided Lint Brush | drugstore.com

Two of the places I lived had el cheapo washers and dryers. At first, I thought it was my soap, but switching to better machines made a huge difference.

Also, if you do some reading around the internet, tons of people are complaining about how poorly the front-load washers are doing the job.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:04 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Well I would think that the washer isn't the machine most responsible for removing lint, that's the dryers job. Since you are not using a dryer then you have no way to remove the lint except by hand.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:09 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Bump

Anything?
It is against TOS to "bump" your own thread.

Besides that the best place to remove lint is in the dryer so use it or continue to remove the lint by hand.
Personally I do not know how well a front load machine works because I do not have one and will never have one.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It is against TOS to "bump" your own thread.

Besides that the best place to remove lint is in the dryer so use it or continue to remove the lint by hand.
Personally I do not know how well a front load machine works because I do not have one and will never have one.
Sorry - didn't know the TOS.

Thanks for your input guys. Maybe this is the norm. Otherwise, I prefer this washer to my prior top loaders. My clothes. Last longer. I never use dryers, so that variable is constant.

I'll try that lint brush. Thanks.

Maybe I'll try throwing some meshy sponges in a delicates wash bag, and see if they trap lint.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:53 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
I did a quick google search....found some promising things. https://www.google.com/search?q=lint...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Old 05-24-2015, 06:39 PM

FYI

Pointers that appear to help remove lint in the washer....

There was a secret cycle for the washing machine to do a deep clean of itself (SANS clothes). Did that with bleach, and then repeated it without.

Cleaned out the door gasket carefully to be sure no junk was hidden in cracks/crevices.

Added some vinegar to wash cycles.

Placed some "lint balls" and a doobie "sponge" in a garment bag and threw that in with the clothes. It seems to catch a decent amount of lint.

MUCH better.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:54 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I have one, and I may always have one. But I do NOT have a lint problem.
OP, your machine will need a complete clean or even replaced... Who knows how the previous owner took care of it?

Old 05-25-2015, 06:58 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,792,860 times
White vinegar poured into your rinse cycle in your washing machine will help eliminate lint from the laundry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House