Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 02:40 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times

Advertisements

So the new place I moved into is a 4 prong and my dryer is a 3 prong. Is it hard to change? The mover told me to go to HD and buy a new cord and watch a youtube video on how to do it. I'm pretty intelligent but electrical stuff scares me. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 02:45 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Just like the mover stated-
It's better to change the "pigtail" on the dryer than to change the recepticale. THe recepticale is current code.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:52 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
It's not hard. I did it years ago and the house hasn't burned down yet. I'd never done any other electrical work at the time and still haven't done anything more complicated that change a ballast.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:52 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
I have a healthy respect for electricity but I agree that it should be within your skills. Look it up online and watch a few videos and read some tutorials.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:06 PM

81 posts, read 106,440 times
I used to install appliances and changed 100's of dryer cords. It's easy. Remove the small( about credit card size) cover where the old cord goes into the back of the dryer. There will be 3 wires held in with screws. Write down the order of colors for the wires. The new wires will go in the same order.

The screws are Phillips head and its best to use a magnetic screwdriver so you don't drop the screws inside the dryer. Do not use a drill to install the screws, they can strip very easy and you won't have a good or safe connection. When you put the new cord on tighten each of the 3 screws about half way before you tighten them all the way. If you tighten the first one all the before getting the other ones started in can be a pain getting the last one to thread straight in. After they are all tight put the cover back on before you plug it in.

It's really very easy, I think it took me longer to write this then to actually change the cord. Good luck.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:09 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irononehuh View Post
I used to install appliances and changed 100's of dryer cords. It's easy. Remove the small( about credit card size) cover where the old cord goes into the back of the dryer. There will be 3 wires held in with screws. Write down the order of colors for the wires. The new wires will go in the same order.

The screws are Phillips head and its best to use a magnetic screwdriver so you don't drop the screws inside the dryer. Do not use a drill to install the screws, they can strip very easy and you won't have a good or safe connection. When you put the new cord

Sounds easy enough. I'll buy cord tomorrow and post an update!

Old 05-19-2015, 11:57 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Mobile homes generally use the 4 prong receptacles. Separate ground and neutral. Changing cords has always been simple. There are many new brands on the market today so can't speak to all. Most have a small cover to remove on the back. There will be 3 terminals in line the one in center has always been neutral and the outer two hots. Depending on brand the terminals may have nuts or screws. I believe the 4th wire is simply a ground to the cabinet (shell) of the appliance. The standard 30 amp 3 prong plug with L shaped ground prong usually has a flat cord (hots on the outsides and neutral in the center). The 4 prong plug might have a round cord. If so you must be sure what you're doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House