Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 05:58 AM

638 posts, read 589,128 times

Advertisements

Have a place in NV which is very 1980's. It has a home intercom system which I actually quite like and have replaced, and updated some of the speakers.

Now I'm slowly turning my head to the main stuff, I'm not going OTT but just wondering what needs to be done since I'm unfamiliar with american tv systems.

In the UK regular TV is sent through the ariel which is just the one co-axial socket. If you want to get satellite tv, they run another cable down and into the house, making it a double socket and giving you a receiver box.

Where I am in NV its all cox.

I spoke to someone briefly and haven't quite understood this properly. I'm told I can get cox through the regular co-axial cable, but it won't be HD. Firstly, if I do it like that, do I need a box? Secondly, if I want HD do they need to do any modifications to the tv sockets in the house?

In addition to this, I was sort of considering having the place pre-wired for surround sound, since I've been told that its pretty simple to just pull wires through these walls. If you prewire for surround sound, where do they terminate? by the tv socket? If so, are there plates which incorporate the surround sound exit with the coax? my wall where the ariel is, covered in mirrors so it would be hard to fit an additional plate there.

If there is any work to be done, is this typically done as part of signing up by Cox, or do they just send you the box and let you get on with it all?

Finally, and this is firmly in the realms of "would be nice but probably not going to bother", my tv area is all double height, but where you sit isn't, since its part of the upstairs landing. I've considered having a projector mounted above the seating area and a large screen dropping down making what would be the windows into a screen. I guess its pretty useless in one way since I'd just be able to use it at night due to brightness, but could be fun for "movie night". Any thoughts/considerations on this sort of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 07:56 AM

336 posts, read 588,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
I spoke to someone briefly and haven't quite understood this properly. I'm told I can get cox through the regular co-axial cable, but it won't be HD. Firstly, if I do it like that, do I need a box? Secondly, if I want HD do they need to do any modifications to the tv sockets in the house?

HD signal can be transmitted inside the house via RG59 and RG6 coax cables. The majority of households in the US get HDTV cable via coax. You just need to call Cox to enable the service and install a new cable box.

Quote:
In addition to this, I was sort of considering having the place pre-wired for surround sound, since I've been told that its pretty simple to just pull wires through these walls. If you prewire for surround sound, where do they terminate? by the tv socket? If so, are there plates which incorporate the surround sound exit with the coax? my wall where the ariel is, covered in mirrors so it would be hard to fit an additional plate there.

It is up to you on how you want to terminate the speakers cables. You can terminate them in banana plug plates, pull the cables through and don't terminate, or leave them inside the wall for future use. I chose to have the cables pulled through with 4 feet length in my house. I knew where I was going to place my speakers so it didn't make sense to have to use jumper cables to connect the speakers.

Quote:
Finally, and this is firmly in the realms of "would be nice but probably not going to bother", my tv area is all double height, but where you sit isn't, since its part of the upstairs landing. I've considered having a projector mounted above the seating area and a large screen dropping down making what would be the windows into a screen. I guess its pretty useless in one way since I'd just be able to use it at night due to brightness, but could be fun for "movie night". Any thoughts/considerations on this sort of thing.
Without pictures and/or floorplan, it is hard to make a suggestion. For projector wiring, run a hollow conduit to the projector in addition to HDMI and power cables. Run the wires outside the conduit and preserve the conduit for future use. This way you can upgrade/replace the HDMI cable without having to open up the walls.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:33 AM

638 posts, read 589,128 times
Excellent thanks, fair bit to think about there. Think I'll terminate in banana plug plates, if I can cut the mirrored wall, lets me contemplate the rest at a later date.

I'm assuming any wiring I'd have done would be by default RG6, apart from all the HDMI stuff obviously.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:11 AM

336 posts, read 588,213 times
If you are rewiring the house, also run Cat6 cables from the central location to as many places as you can. Cat cables are now the swiss-knife of low voltage wiring. They can be used for Ethernet, HDMI (via baluns or HDBaseT), RCA audio, to power cameras and other equipment via Power over Ethernet (POE), or just for low voltage power to blinds or security sensors.

In my house, I have two Cat6 drops and two RG6 drops at all possible TV locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House