Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 07:10 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
So why can't they use SILENT PUSH MOWERS???
smack head
There is no such thing as a SILENT push mower. All mowers make noise of some sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 07:46 PM

190 posts, read 286,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I could not DISAGREE more, and I say this as someone who is not bothered by the noise the original poster was mentioning. However, I most certainly cannot stand the noise of barking dogs, and I've dealt with those quite a bit. You deal with people who think that their yorkie camped out near your property yapping its stupid head off constantly is just "part of living in the country," or that their 9 hunting dogs howling and yapping constantly is as well. It's not. It's noise pollution to a great many other people.
I like the sound of dogs barking.

Especially a pack of coyotes just after dusk, yipping and yapping as they tear into the neighbors yorkie, and snatch a feral cat for dessert.

They just saved me a couple rounds of ammo.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:16 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by draketrutta View Post
I like the sound of dogs barking.

Especially a pack of coyotes just after dusk, yipping and yapping as they tear into the neighbors yorkie, and snatch a feral cat for dessert.

They just saved me a couple rounds of ammo.

Best line of the whole thread.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:33 PM

19,745 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I could not DISAGREE more, and I say this as someone who is not bothered by the noise the original poster was mentioning. However, I most certainly cannot stand the noise of barking dogs, and I've dealt with those quite a bit. You deal with people who think that their yorkie camped out near your property yapping its stupid head off constantly is just "part of living in the country," or that their 9 hunting dogs howling and yapping constantly is as well. It's not. It's noise pollution to a great many other people.

I think a lot of people move to the country because they want QUIET. They don't want other people's noises trespassing uninvited into their living space. They hear all of this talk about moving to the country because of the quiet, only to then encounter these other forms of noise. Where are they supposed to move to, Mars?

The real problem: people don't take noise pollution issues seriously enough, and tell other people "tough" or "get over it," dismissing their legitimate concerns. People who live in the country too often think of "city folk" in a derisive and hateful way vs showing some respect for how they feel. Newsflash--the people who have transplanted from the city have every right to live there, and their opinions are just as valid as those of the people who have always lived there.

I happen to like how living in the country affords me some latitude, I enjoy popping firecrackers--something that in the city would get me in a lot of trouble. I am glad that there is no one complaining about the noise. However, here is the thing--if I had someone close by who was bothered by it, especially if they were to speak of how they had post-traumatic stress disorder from having fought in past wars, and spoke of how they moved to the country for some peace and quiet and "can you see what you can do about controlling that a little'--you know, I am going to show respect for them. I'm not going to be all high and mighty about how "I'm not breaking any laws" and "you move to the country, you're going to hear pops and bangs" and "if it bothers you I don't know what to tell you." No, I am going to show some COMPASSION, and see if I can't work with them. Maybe they frequently go to the VA buildings and visit their war buddies every Tuesday and Thursday, and I can enjoy my firecrackers on those days they're absent.

I can understand that we don't want to deal with people who gripe about EVERYTHING, to the point that you feel like you have to practically whisper and walk around on eggshells, I totally understand that. Yes life happens and there is a certain amount of inevitable "noise of life" that is going to occur just from the fact that people exist and actually do things. HOWEVER, I also submit that one should not dismiss another person's feelings altogether either and show no compassion, and make out like how being in the country gives you the right to not respect where someone else is coming from who is trying to enjoy their living space free of constant noise.
He's… mowing… his..lawn.

If you can hear your neighbor mowing their lawn and you live in the 'country'- get OVER IT.

I live in Montana and I can't hear my neighbor fire a 300 Win Mag for Jebus sake.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:05 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,198 times
Quote:
The neighbors' yard is rather big, admittedly, but this guy's been mowing it now for an hour and a half. It's been this constant drone for half the afternoon. I've been glancing out the window every 15-20 minutes and it seems as though he's been working on the same spot all this time!

I think some guys either don't know how to mow a lawn, or they just enjoy the loud roar (plus the fumes and dust). I'm working from home, and sure, I can put on headphones and tune it out, but it does kind of ruin the peace and quiet here on this little suburban lane abutting conservation land.

We have a landscaping company that comes in about once a week and mows; they have this big, fast commercial rider-mower that turns on a dime, and they're in and out of here in 20 minutes. They're noisy, with 2-3 guys using blowers and mowers and trimmers all at once, but they're done so quickly that it's tolerable.

What's annoying is these amateurs, doing an entire lawn with a push mower and seeming to relish taking their time or just not being very organized about it. There oughtta be a law...
Oh my gosh - not funny, but you had me cracking up at your first paragraph! How 'bout this? Our next door neighbor waits until it is dark to mow his lawn. It is black outside, and there he is. Go figure! And it takes him several days as well.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:19 PM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
So why can't they use SILENT PUSH MOWERS???
smack head
Probably for the same reason(s) you don't....

Old 05-22-2015, 09:22 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
The simple fact of life is, we ALL do things that annoy our neighbors. You might not realize it, but we do. Good neighbors are ones that are respectful of that fact and who are also tolerant of the little things their next door neighbor does.

For example , I built cars in my home garage for years until I finally got a separate shop. By the same token, the neighbor behind me had pool parties a little late into the night sometimes. But he and I overlooked our little annoyances and we got along great.

Don

Old 05-22-2015, 09:37 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Quote:
The neighbors' yard is rather big, admittedly, but this guy's been mowing it now for an hour and a half. It's been this constant drone for half the afternoon. I've been glancing out the window every 15-20 minutes and it seems as though he's been working on the same spot all this time!

I think some guys either don't know how to mow a lawn, or they just enjoy the loud roar (plus the fumes and dust). I'm working from home, and sure, I can put on headphones and tune it out, but it does kind of ruin the peace and quiet here on this little suburban lane abutting conservation land.

We have a landscaping company that comes in about once a week and mows; they have this big, fast commercial rider-mower that turns on a dime, and they're in and out of here in 20 minutes. They're noisy, with 2-3 guys using blowers and mowers and trimmers all at once, but they're done so quickly that it's tolerable.

What's annoying is these amateurs, doing an entire lawn with a push mower and seeming to relish taking their time or just not being very organized about it. There oughtta be a law...
Since you happen to look out every 15 minutes and you saw him in the same spot, did you stop and think he might be having some trouble? Instead of hopping online to whine about it, why not do the neighborly thing and see if he needs a hand? He might not be in a position financially to hire a lawn service or maybe he enjoys being outside but could use a hand.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:42 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
For some guys it becomes an obsessive compulsive activity, my next door neighbor spends an hour mowing his grass everyday fortunately he has an electric mower so its not too loud,after the mowing he gives his car a full car wash inside and out every day,then its a wash and thorough sweeping of his balcony and the sidewalk and his section of the street in front of his house,then he will sit there with a hose watering his lawn for an hour. The guy must go stir crazy during the winter..
How old is he? If he's old enough to be senile, he might not remember whether he did all the work yesterday, so he does it again today just to be sure.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:49 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:

There is a law and it says to keep your lawn mowed.

If you don't like the way the guy mows his lawn pay your landscaping company to mow his as well.
Ours take 4 hours to mow and that is just the mowing part.

I would say the one who is doing the mowing is not the amateur since he is doing it himself.

If you are working at home how do you get any actual work done looking out of the window every few minutes to spy on your neighbor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House