Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 08:07 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,000,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Visited a friend in Arizona a few years ago and her lawnmower had a headlight. She could mow in the dark!
Critters and icky things come out after dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 08:18 PM

5,108 posts, read 6,052,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Critters and icky things come out after dark.
Growing up I cut 1.5 acres with a non selfpropelled 21" Lawnboy. Many times I came upon 'icky things' like snakes or mouse nests when I was mowing. the whirling 21" blade solved the problem every time :-)

Old 05-23-2015, 08:22 PM

19,619 posts, read 22,502,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I have to admit, my old push mower was an exercise in frustration. It would have been more efficient to cut the grass with a scissors
For a brief period I owned a home on a 1/4 acre lot in town back in WV. I used a Scotts reel mower. Sloped yard, thick grass- kept the blades in tune and sharp no problems cutting the yard. TWICE a week.

Apparently you cannot master a simple machine.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:59 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,146,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Gee it's day time and the guy is taking care of his yard. Would you prefer he mow at night? Be thankful that he is taking care of his yard!
This.

People need to stop looking for ways to be annoyed.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:16 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,998,110 times
I have a new neighbor who mows her grass about four times a week. She really likes to scalp it which I find odd because she's constantly trying to get new grass to grow too. Perhaps if she didn't scalp it all the time but I guess logic isn't everyone's strong suit.

The frequency doesn't annoy me too much except for a while there she kept mowing our grass right up to our house. Having a hubby in landscaping who takes great pride in his "perfect" lawn, he was none too excited to have this woman scalping his yard all the time. Finally had to say something to her.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:25 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,799,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
This.

People need to stop looking for ways to be annoyed.
Exactly.

Honestly, I am having a hard time believing this isn't just a troll thread.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:55 AM

6,676 posts, read 5,888,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Exactly.

Honestly, I am having a hard time believing this isn't just a troll thread.
Well it started out being a mild complaint/gripe, but a bunch of trollish people with apparently nothing better to do started piling on. Really, I would close the thread if there were a way.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:53 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,376,295 times
Our next door neighbor has a riding mower, and literally mows every three days. It doesn't bother me in the least. I would much rather live next to someone who takes great care of their lawn, rather than neighbors who let their grass grow a foot tall and have weeds in their gravel driveway (like the renters we used to live next to).

Old 05-24-2015, 08:10 AM

6,676 posts, read 5,888,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
For a brief period I owned a home on a 1/4 acre lot in town back in WV. I used a Scotts reel mower. Sloped yard, thick grass- kept the blades in tune and sharp no problems cutting the yard. TWICE a week.

Apparently you cannot master a simple machine.
Then come mow my yard!

Old 05-24-2015, 08:55 AM

45,115 posts, read 60,226,663 times
This thread reminds of something that happened here a few years ago.

We had a guy move to Town, a renter, onto a stereotypical tree lined residential street who worked from home. He was a meteorologist or something. It wasn't a month before he started writing letters to the Mayor and Town Council complaining about things.

First it was the traffic on his street. The street might see cars numbering in the low couple or three dozen in an 8 hour day because it really doesn't connect to anything.

Then it was kids riding bicycles.

Then it was a neighbor kid two or three houses away on another street who had a basketball pad and hoop.

Then it was people cutting their yards (most of the yards are 50X100 with quite a few being 25X100. It's an older beach town so many of the houses were only used in the summer originally so had small lots).

Then it was roofers.

Then it was someone getting a new fence installed.

As the year wore on it became our snowplows and salters and kids walking down the street to go sledding.

I was glad when his lease was up and he relocated to somewhere more amenable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House