Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 06:36 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,598,983 times

Advertisements

Especially the chirping-loudly-once-a-minute thing. On several occasions I have had to just remove the batteries completely until I could buy new ones. Why can't they make them with a beep-free period from maybe 10:00pm to 7:30am or something?

It is counterproductive to beep in the middle of the night over a low battery and force you to take the battery out just to catch some sleep!!!

How are you safer with no battery than with a low battery?

And it gets worse, the ones that are wired in to A/C power sometimes can't be silenced except by literally tearing something out - (or if there is a way I don't know it and have zero desire to spend time trying to figure it out at 3:00am!!!)

At my current house, I literally tore it out. The landlord can charge me $75 in damages when I move out and frankly I don't mind because it would have cost more than that to stay in a hotel until it could be fixed!!!

What is wrong with people, seriously, and whose idea was this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 06:47 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
It's not legal to have a beep-free period; there's no provision at all for silencing the low-battery beep. As for whose idea, not sure if it was Underwriter's Laboratories or the National Fire Protection Association; they've both got smoke alarm standards.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:55 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
When you figure out how to prevent fires from occurring between 10 pm and 7:30 am, you'll be all set.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:07 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The beeping is not telling you to just take out the battery and go on with your life, its telling you to change the battery. Which means to take out the old battery and put in a new battery so that if your house catches fire while you are sleeping you don't die.

You should be changing your battery every six months. When you replace the batteries in your smoke detector, buy new ones right away. That way if it does go off in the middle of the night, as they so often do, you'll be prepared and can quickly change out the battery and go back to sleep.

Quote:
Someone who wanted people to be notified of their house burning down, even if there house is on fire at an inconvenient time.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:27 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
Quote:
Especially the chirping-loudly-once-a-minute thing. On several occasions I have had to just remove the batteries completely until I could buy new ones. Why can't they make them with a beep-free period from maybe 10:00pm to 7:30am or something?

It is counterproductive to beep in the middle of the night over a low battery and force you to take the battery out just to catch some sleep!!!

And it gets worse, the ones that are wired in to A/C power sometimes can't be silenced except by literally tearing something out - (or if there is a way I don't know it and have zero desire to spend time trying to figure it out at 3:00am!!!)

At my current house, I literally tore it out. The landlord can charge me $75 in damages when I move out and frankly I don't mind because it would have cost more than that to stay in a hotel until it could be fixed!!!

I hate to tellyou..But smoke detectors only Beep when battery is running low..IF your electrically inline smoke detector is beeping..time to have it checked out...

Sometime's I really wonder about some people..I have dealt with burned folks Kids and adult alike who died to lack of that wee beep or screaming shrill alarm which occurs when it's triggered....So please don't complain about the beep..change batteries..and IF still beeps..Then replace the unit..THEY DO wear out you know???? Then of course there's this pesky CO2 detectors ( Carbon Monoxide Detectors) it's the same thing...If you want to fall asleep and never wakeup..fine..Thats your choice!!

Old 05-22-2015, 07:54 PM

418 posts, read 728,437 times
I think mine had a hush option for the beeping. It's hardwired, though, so maybe that's why?

Old 05-22-2015, 07:54 PM

621 posts, read 1,124,533 times
Quote:
Why can't they make them with a beep-free period from maybe 10:00pm to 7:30am or something?

I'm with you! I feel sorry for all the chumps that replace their batteries when they change their clocks for DLS.

While we're at it, Why can't we just remove all the stop signs and traffic signals? Think how much quicker we could get thru a commute.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Huh; that makes no sense at all.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:51 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,601,583 times
Quote:
Why can't they make them with a beep-free period from maybe 10:00pm to 7:30am or something?
The clock to say that it is after 10:00 pm would need a battery and you'd need another warning beep when the battery to control the warning beep for your main battery needs to be changed.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:58 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,094,679 times
Quote:

So, in other words you don't care about your life or the lives of others?

Do you have any idea how many lives have been SAVED BY SMOKE DETECTORS!!!!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House