Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 09:13 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I doubt that's true or the way the Nest Protect's warnings (not in the middle of the night and never beeps) functions would not be legal.
If you turn out the light and the Nest Protect glows green, it thinks it can survive the night. If it glows yellow there may be a problem. Whether it glows green or not, if there's a problem during the night it HAS to warn you audibly, or it wouldn't be an approved device. (it doesn't have to be a chirp)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 12:09 AM

93 posts, read 109,940 times
I got mine for free from The Red Cross... lasts 10 years no battery replacement required and best of all: they installed them as well

Old 05-24-2015, 06:58 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
I guess the OP has never known an entire family that's died in a house fire when there are no smoke detectors.

You can lead a moron to water ....

Old 05-24-2015, 07:30 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
It's amazing how many people take this as binary -- if you don't like the annoying beep at night, you must be against smoke detectors. No where did anyone say that. What they said was make the things smart enough to warn you when the battery is low during daylight hours when you can actually do something about it. There is no reason with current technology that feature couldn't be added to the chip.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:13 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I guess the OP has never known an entire family that's died in a house fire when there are no smoke detectors.

You can lead a moron to water ....
You're calling the OP a moron because he/she doesn't like the chirping sound that smoke detectors make when the battery's low? Gimme a break

Old 05-24-2015, 08:40 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Joke, right?

Old 05-24-2015, 09:18 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Especially the chirping-loudly-once-a-minute thing. On several occasions I have had to just remove the batteries completely until I could buy new ones. Why can't they make them with a beep-free period from maybe 10:00pm to 7:30am or something?

It is counterproductive to beep in the middle of the night over a low battery and force you to take the battery out just to catch some sleep!!!

How are you safer with no battery than with a low battery?

And it gets worse, the ones that are wired in to A/C power sometimes can't be silenced except by literally tearing something out - (or if there is a way I don't know it and have zero desire to spend time trying to figure it out at 3:00am!!!)

At my current house, I literally tore it out. The landlord can charge me $75 in damages when I move out and frankly I don't mind because it would have cost more than that to stay in a hotel until it could be fixed!!!

What is wrong with people, seriously, and whose idea was this?
Haha - it's obviously serving it's purpose then! It is INTENDED to be as obnoxious and aversive as possible so that you CHANGE THE BATTERY! Change it as soon as you hear the beep - it gets more frequent (and annoying the longer you wait). Seems perfectly smart to me.

What I don't like is how hard it is on most to access the battery cover and get it off while working on a step ladder and reaching above your head!

Old 05-24-2015, 09:29 AM

232 posts, read 1,654,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
It's nice to know that Darwin is still on the job.

My biggest beef with smoke/heat detectors is poor placement in new construction. The place I lived thought it was a brillant idea to put a wired in series detector right above the range.
In our rental, the detector is on top of the stairs... literally above where the stairs are, on a wall that comes down (split level home). In order to change the batteries of that alarm, you'd need to put a ladder on the stairs to reach it. I really don't know who decided that was a perfect place to put it.

We installed two new alarms, one on each level of the house. We've been here for 4 years now and haven't heard anything at all from the one that came with the rental. For all I know, it's inoperable.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:51 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
When you figure out how to prevent fires from occurring between 10 pm and 7:30 am, you'll be all set.
I mean have it beep only for a fire, not for low battery, between those hours.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:57 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
It's amazing how many people take this as binary -- if you don't like the annoying beep at night, you must be against smoke detectors. No where did anyone say that. What they said was make the things smart enough to warn you when the battery is low during daylight hours when you can actually do something about it. There is no reason with current technology that feature couldn't be added to the chip.
Thank you!!!!

These posters that think I don't want to be protected from a fire are choosing the most uncharitable interpretation possible.

Let me make this clear: I DO NOT want them to be quiet between 10:00pm and 7:30 am if there is a fire. I am talking about low battery only. As long as there is a reasonable margin between the voltage that triggers the beeping and the voltage posing a serious risk of non-activation in fire, it can wait for part of a day. I can wait to change it during normal hours thank you very much.

I can't believe how some people have to twist and distort things instead of considering the possibility that, perhaps, I am a reasonable person...

Last edited by ncole1; 05-24-2015 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House