Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 10:07 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times

Advertisements

And let me just be perfectly clear - the detector I removed has another smoke detector right next to it, and another one just up the stairs. I am not "putting myself at risk", before everyone freaks out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
The clock to say that it is after 10:00 pm would need a battery and you'd need another warning beep when the battery to control the warning beep for your main battery needs to be changed.
Why? Just set the voltage threshold higher than it running dead.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
The big advantage of changing the batteries when you change the clocks for daylight savings time or standard time is that then it will never beep. And it's an easy habit to keep, because you will be looking for other clocks to change, and that will remind you to change the batteries.
What if I don't have batteries on hand of the kind I need? I move a lot and don't always know what they'll need. The last place I lived they needed a 9V battery, this one has some A/C, some 1.5V and some 9V.

If I have to wait until I get a chance to make another trip to the store to get more batteries before I am allowed to adjust my clocks, I'll forget to do it and be late to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
When clocks get fancier in the near future, and automatically adjust themselves for daylight savings time, a lot more people will die in fires.
Really? Very few people are never home between 7:30 am and 10:00 pm. Even under the system I propose, they would still be notified. Again, have a reasonable margin of safety on the voltage threshold and it should be a non-issue. Of course they should have a switch to allow you to set it to beep for low battery regardless of hour if you are some extreme shift-worker or near-full-time RV dweller who visits home once a month...

Old 05-24-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Replace your smoke alarm with one more efficient, and place them in locations that are recommended by the local FD. No biggie. If they're hardwired- move it yourself or hire someone.
I do not own my residence.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:53 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
What if I don't have batteries on hand of the kind I need? I move a lot and don't always know what they'll need. The last place I lived they needed a 9V battery, this one has some A/C, some 1.5V and some 9V.

If I have to wait until I get a chance to make another trip to the store to get more batteries before I am allowed to adjust my clocks, I'll forget to do it and be late to work.
You're allowed to look at the batteries before they are changed. Just make it a habit to check the smoke detector batteries when you move into a new place (and test to see if they're working). Then, if you don't have the battery required, you can make a notrv and get a few next time you're out.

No one said you have to change the batteries before you change your clocks. Just change your clocks and then change the batteries. If you don't have the battery you need, make a note to get one next time you are out and then change the battery.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You're allowed to look at the batteries before they are changed. Just make it a habit to check the smoke detector batteries when you move into a new place (and test to see if they're working). Then, if you don't have the battery required, you can make a notrv and get a few next time you're out.

No one said you have to change the batteries before you change your clocks. Just change your clocks and then change the batteries. If you don't have the battery you need, make a note to get one next time you are out and then change the battery.
Ok, I'll keep this in mind. I think the next time I move, what I'll do is ask the landlord about the smoke detectors and look at them, before I even sign the lease, and then I'll know what batteries to stock up on.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:01 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
What they said was make the things smart enough to warn you when the battery is low during daylight hours when you can actually do something about it.
What's stopping you from doing something about it at night? I have always been able to change mine at night without a problem if they start beeping. If it's too dark to see simply turn on a light or use a flashlight.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:07 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,528 times
Very simple replace the batteries Jan 1st Every year or buy new units with 10 year non-replaceable batteries All yuor issues are safety concerns for people " Hahahaha tooooooo busy" to take the time ..
Quote:
Especially the chirping-loudly-once-a-minute thing. On several occasions I have had to just remove the batteries completely until I could buy new ones. Why can't they make them with a beep-free period from maybe 10:00pm to 7:30am or something?

It is counterproductive to beep in the middle of the night over a low battery and force you to take the battery out just to catch some sleep!!!

How are you safer with no battery than with a low battery?

And it gets worse, the ones that are wired in to A/C power sometimes can't be silenced except by literally tearing something out - (or if there is a way I don't know it and have zero desire to spend time trying to figure it out at 3:00am!!!)

At my current house, I literally tore it out. The landlord can charge me $75 in damages when I move out and frankly I don't mind because it would have cost more than that to stay in a hotel until it could be fixed!!!

What is wrong with people, seriously, and whose idea was this?

Old 05-24-2015, 11:13 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:

Really? Very few people are never home between 7:30 am and 10:00 pm. Even under the system I propose, they would still be notified. Again, have a reasonable margin of safety on the voltage threshold and it should be a non-issue. Of course they should have a switch to allow you to set it to beep for low battery regardless of hour if you are some extreme shift-worker or near-full-time RV dweller who visits home once a month...

You do realize it takes less time to stop at the market and get batteries and install them in the smoke detectors than it has taken for you to start this thread and post all of your replies on it right?

Old 05-24-2015, 11:27 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
I do not own my residence.
What does that mean? Cause it's a rental you can't upgrade or relocate a smoke detector?

I rented a house that no smoke detectors back in the early 90's. I put two in myself and told the landlord. They don't care. It's your butt at risk, not theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House