Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 10:09 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times

Advertisements

If someone thinks it's dated, then I'd like to know what they think is "in style".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 10:56 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If someone thinks it's dated, then I'd like to know what they think is "in style".
Entertainment centers in general are not really "in style" because most people wall mount their large, flat screen televisions. Based on the size compared to that Wii, I'm saying that's around a 32-36 inch TV, which is small in today's world. A lot of people will not want the OP's house, or would buy it planning to remodel or remove that built in because it will not accommodate the larger TVs people are more likely to own or buy these days as their main tv. So yes, it's dated. Beautiful carpentry work but not consistent with the way many people live these days.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:58 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
It IS beautiful. Instead of a TV wouldn't it be great to have a huge built-in aquarium (with lights) there? Don't worry--you should leave it alone. And no one would want to go to the expense of the custom aquarium, but I would love to VISIT someone who had one there.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:12 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Entertainment centers in general are not really "in style" because most people wall mount their large, flat screen televisions. Based on the size compared to that Wii, I'm saying that's around a 32-36 inch TV, which is small in today's world. A lot of people will not want the OP's house, or would buy it planning to remodel or remove that built in because it will not accommodate the larger TVs people are more likely to own or buy these days as their main tv. So yes, it's dated. Beautiful carpentry work but not consistent with the way many people live these days.
I think a 55" TV could easily fit there, which would be adequate for most people. Personally I hate TV's mounted on walls, I like them to be at eye level.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:47 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
Quote:
Good heavens....the one that's there looks pretty large to me, and there is room for plenty more.

As far as wall mounting goes, I agree with the poster who said they like to have the TV at eye level. It hurts my neck to look up constantly...I get tired of craning my neck when I visit my mom, who has hers mounted pretty high.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:43 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
I don't like built-ins but this one could be an exception. It doesn't look cheap. If the new buyer has Duncan Phyfe furniture it may even accent the room nicely.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:23 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Something where the center piece isn't built around an object that changes in size every few years. About a decade ago when "average" TVs rapidly grew in size, building an expensive ornate cabinet costing 5-10 times the price of the TV to "permanently" house them stopped making any sense at all.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:48 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Dated???????????

It is absolutely fine. Don't touch it.
I agree. I think it looks nice! The wood looks well-cared for, and it is a striking focal point in the room. It could have been built last year, for all I know. Not everybody likes "super-modern".

Old 05-25-2015, 03:35 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
That looks like a 44 inch to me, which is about standard for a family room around here.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:26 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
I like it! But the less you do to it now, the more options new owners will have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House