Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:00 PM

18,356 posts, read 31,429,080 times

Advertisements

like everyone else, if you like the house, dont let a tree stop you. you can remove it yourself, or trim it, whatever you desire since it is your house.

I wouldn't though, ask the seller to have it removed, they probably like it.
I wouldn't do it if I was the seller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 11:41 PM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
The most common conifer in MD is the Eastern White Pine. And by the looks/hgt, I'd say that's what you have there.

Granted, a two dimensional picture doesn't really help, but I'd say the tree is too close to the house and should be removed. Eastern White Pines don't have much of a "tap root", but usually have 3-5 very large roots that spread horizontally to anchor the tree (so you can imagine where at least one of them headed); from there, depending on soil conditions they will have "sinker" roots that tend to go straight down for moisture.

I wouldn't even bring it up during negotiations- contracts are always contingent upon inspection (due diligence period), if the foundation has been compromised (because of the tree) you can either walk or negotiate the removal of tree and repair of the foundation. If the inspection reveals no adverse effects to the foundation- negotiate the price, close, remove tree.

If a permit is required- it shouldn't be a problem when the circumstances are for preventive house maintenance. However, they may require you to plant other trees as "replacements of canopy". Obviously they don't go in the same place- sometimes they don't even have to be on "your" property.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:44 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,038,809 times
I've never seen a white pine "bloom" with flowers so think you can ignore the information about the root system in the last post.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:18 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,659,526 times
The flowers are from a different tree in front of the one in question so you can ignore the information in the last post. I'd want it taken down too - damage to the foundation may not be visible yet, but it's probably only a matter of time.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:29 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,770,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
A juniper is an evergreen ... with needles ... that don't die off every autumn ...
My mistake, evergreens are even worse that close to the house. FYI those trees once they get big like that are more like to snap off like twigs at the top in strong enough wind.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I've never seen a white pine "bloom" with flowers so think you can ignore the information about the root system in the last post.
I made the same mistake as you, it's an illusion.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:11 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,405,426 times
If its a juniper then its pretty old, I would say any damage it would have done would already be apparent. By cutting it down you could run the risk of that area becoming damper (no tree to suck up moisture) and also as the roots rot the could be a chance of subsidence as the ground alters.

If in doubt get advice from an expert.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:30 AM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
If its a juniper...
By cutting it down you could run the risk of that area becoming damper (no tree to suck up moisture)

I can assure you it's NOT a Juniper- Junipers don't get 40-50'tall.

Quite the contrary, the tree canopy PROMOTES a moist/damp area because of the shade it provides AND lack of air circulation. By removing the tree, the area has more light, more air, providing a means of evaporation.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:16 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,605,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley33 View Post
Please look at the picture attached.
I'm about to make an offer to this house. but I'm worrying about the tree just next to the house.
It is a kind of juniper.
Do you think it can give a damage to the house foundation?
If so, can I ask to the seller to cut it off?
or would it be better give up the house?

Except for the tree, I really like the house.
Ummm - that's not a juniper!

It's too close to the house. As is the shrub. I'd get rid of them both.

Edited to add - oh, I see now - there are *two* trees too close to the house and too close to each other as well. They both need to go.

Bad for the foundation. Bad for the roof. Bad because of the moisture. Dangerous in a wind storm. These problems will only get worse as the trees get larger.

Never plant a tree closer to the house than 20 feet - and even that could be pushing it, depending on the kind of tree.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
If its a juniper then its pretty old, I would say any damage it would have done would already be apparent. By cutting it down you could run the risk of that area becoming damper (no tree to suck up moisture)
It's not the ground but the house that is the issue. We had one side of a roof heavily shaded by trees when we moved in. Between the debris and the shade lot's of moss growing on the shinlges and that was hardwoods. Any evergreen is really dirty tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House