Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 04:53 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,315 times

Advertisements

I have to buy a washer and dryer set and I am thinking about the Whirlpool Cabrio, I did have the Calypso and loved it and the Cabrio is even bigger. I am not sure if I want to go with these or try a front loader out. The only thing with the front loaders is that I would have to buy the pedestals for them and that would be an additional $400.

I am curious as to what everyone else has and what they like and dislike about their sets, mainly the washers. I need one that will be able to handle large loads to cut down my laundry.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 08:28 PM

255 posts, read 821,488 times
Thumbs up Front-loader fan here

I had a Kenmore HE2 front loading washer and was very pleased with its performance. I initially bought it for the super capacity and water savings. I was able to wash several pairs of jeans at a time (all my jeans, if desired), a queen-sized comforter...items you wouldn't be able to wash in normal-capacity washers. It had an excellent selection of wash settings, and clothes came out clean and undamaged -- my clothes looked great!

I also had the matching dryer and the only complaint I have about it is that sometimes the auto sensor would shut the load off while a few items were still a bit damp. On the flip side, I really liked the ability to dry items flat in the dryer with the drying rack that was included, and overall was also pleased with the dryer.

If you go with a front-loader, do get the pedestals...I didn't, and regretted it. The pedestals will help reduce the "reach down" distance and provide extra storage.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:04 AM

404 posts, read 711,242 times
I have the cheapest washer I could find, I think it was a gift for my mom. I remember buying either the drier or the washer. I personally want a front loader. They are easier on the clothes.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
I have Frigidaire front loader and wow it does use so much less water than a top loader I doubt I would ever go back.

I like the fact it uses alot less detergent. I program it to do a extra spin and generally by the time washer is done the dryer is done so no more waiting on one or the other.
Mine has a spot for fabric softner which is plus for me instead of having to wait on rinse cycle like I use to pour that in.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:56 AM

894 posts, read 4,349,397 times
I have a front loader and don't like it. It does use less water and energy, but I find it to be difficult when taking out the clothes. Everything falls to the ground and the sheets are almost always twisted. SOmeone suggested putting a laundry basket down under the washer, but that's a pain. I couldn't put the pedestals in because I would lose all the cabinet space above. Being 5'0 not having them is not a big deal either.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:42 PM

289 posts, read 1,140,455 times
I have a Duet front loader and am not crazy about it either.

None of the HE detergents on the market are completely fragrance-free (severe allergies in this house, so that's a must), so it's a guessing game on how much of the regular type detergent to use so that the clothes get clean but the machine doesn't get all pissy about "oversudsing".

There really is no "soak" cycle, not like a top loader has anyway. If you have a normal size load, only part of it is actually submerged.

The door has to be left ajar all the time its not in use, to avoid getting that musty smell.

My biggest gripe is that it doesn't spin a very small load properly (the pieces come out wet).

For my next house I'll get one of those agitator-less toploaders (I forget who the manufacturer is, but I saw one on display not too long ago).

Old 08-15-2007, 03:56 PM

77 posts, read 273,062 times
I am also contemplating the Whirlpool Cabrio washer and dryer set....went to Sears this past weekend and I love all the features..seems like it will save a lot of time, electricity and water all together. Can't wait to pick them up

Old 08-15-2007, 05:11 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
I have the LG front loaders and I'm positively in love with my washer! It gets out stains that would never come out in any top loader I've used. I swear that miracles take place in that drum. As for the bending down? Well, you have to bend down to get into your drier anyway, so why is it so hard to bend down for the washer, too? Unless, of course, there are some new top-loading driers out there that I don't know about.

I think the only drawback with the front-loaders is that you need to keep the door open after each wash to allow the drum & gasket to dry out. If you have a laundry room like mine, then it isn't a problem (my machines are against the back wall & the open door rests against a wall, so it's never in the way of anything). However, if you must put your machines in, say, a closet along a hallway, that could be a problem.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
I have the LG front loaders and I'm positively in love with my washer! It gets out stains that would never come out in any top loader I've used. I swear that miracles take place in that drum. As for the bending down? Well, you have to bend down to get into your drier anyway, so why is it so hard to bend down for the washer, too? Unless, of course, there are some new top-loading driers out there that I don't know about.

I think the only drawback with the front-loaders is that you need to keep the door open after each wash to allow the drum & gasket to dry out. If you have a laundry room like mine, then it isn't a problem (my machines are against the back wall & the open door rests against a wall, so it's never in the way of anything). However, if you must put your machines in, say, a closet along a hallway, that could be a problem.
The guy at Best Buy was telling me good things about LG and the steam factor, wasn't too sure on paying that much more and then if I had a problem it is harder to get people to work on them. I will definately being taking another look at them.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4StanleyCups View Post
I have a Duet front loader and am not crazy about it either.

None of the HE detergents on the market are completely fragrance-free (severe allergies in this house, so that's a must), so it's a guessing game on how much of the regular type detergent to use so that the clothes get clean but the machine doesn't get all pissy about "oversudsing".

There really is no "soak" cycle, not like a top loader has anyway. If you have a normal size load, only part of it is actually submerged.

The door has to be left ajar all the time its not in use, to avoid getting that musty smell.

My biggest gripe is that it doesn't spin a very small load properly (the pieces come out wet).

For my next house I'll get one of those agitator-less toploaders (I forget who the manufacturer is, but I saw one on display not too long ago).
Thanks for the info, I was considering these machines too. The top loader without the agitator is the Cabrio by Whirlpool. I now that Kenmore has one too that is made by Whirlpool but you pay more for it and Maytag has one as well but I would never consider a washing machine through them, they have lots of problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House