Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 08:15 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
So what I went ahead and did was google "what's the correct way the size residential hvac loads". Every search results on the first page of results supports my methodology but not yours....and in fact discourages your method. For fun, kindly follow the link (broken link, cut/paste to google)to the very first search result and plug your "math" into the authors findings listed in the table on page 4.

www.ibsadvisorsllc.com/_library/Residential_HVAC_Sizing.pdf

Should you continue to find yourself in disagreement with my and every other credible professional's opinion on which method of sizing HVAC equipment is the most accurate (and widely accepted/adopted), I will have no choice but to terminate your privilege to read my posts.

I'm not disagreeing that there are other factors to consider. What I am disagreeing with is your statement made that a homeowner cannot get into a close ballpark by using the calculation I provided above before calling an HVAC contractor. I didn't mention the most accurate nor did I say anywhere that a homeowner shouldn't have a contractor come out and perform the additional calculations. You don't need a contractor to get an idea.... you need a contractor once you have an idea of what you need. I've seen some quote oversized units to get the additional revenue, and others undersize a unit to save the homeowner money up front. It's always wise to do some research on your own and compare it to what a professional tells you.

I mentioned a way for a homeowner to get an idea of what they may need. If you go to any of the HVAC calculators online and plug in the OPs information, you will get the same answer I provided above. Again, I said "ballpark", which does make a difference.

I have quite a few family members in the HVAC business who I talked with at great length before replacing my unit last spring. My father is also a contractor (has been for over 30 years) and I grew up in the renovation/building field and have dealt with all types of contractors at length.

Based on the OP's statement that they need to stay in a really cheap budget (which is difficult in HVAC any way you slice it) I offered a way for them to do it themselves if they are desperate to save money and can install it on their own. If they're looking to save money on the front end, which it sounds that they are.... this is the way to do it (albeit not the way I would do it). If they are looking for the most efficient and most long term cost effective solution, they need to call a professional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 09:32 AM

621 posts, read 1,123,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
You don't need a contractor to get an idea.... you need a contractor once you have an idea of what you need.
Customers with preconceived ideas are a lost cause. They have no business anchoring to what they believe the scope of work should be and usually base their views on rules of thumb and unfounded internet advise. I find them very easy to manage, I simply create distance between myself and them. Intelligent customers concentrate on one thing, the outcome. The scope of work is developed to satisfy that, and that dictates the price. If they want a lower price, another contractor will have to come along and cut corners. Whether it be comfort or inefficiency, they'll have to accept the shortcomings and a different outcome.

Quote:
I've seen some quote oversized units to get the additional revenue, and others undersize a unit to save the homeowner money up front.
Who gets sold equipment where the capacity doesn't meet the load? Customers that aren't handed a properly calculated load report, that's who. Why are you critisizing the shade tree outfits that use your methodology?

Quote:
It's always wise to do some research on your own and compare it to what a professional tells you.
Substituting a simple internet formula for detailed load calculations and an on site system assessment hardly constitutes as wisdom....

Without consternation, I am hereby revoking your privileges to read my posts.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:54 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
Customers with preconceived ideas are a lost cause. They have no business anchoring to what they believe the scope of work should be and usually base their views on rules of thumb and unfounded internet advise. I find them very easy to manage, I simply create distance between myself and them. Intelligent customers concentrate on one thing, the outcome. The scope of work is developed to satisfy that, and that dictates the price. If they want a lower price, another contractor will have to come along and cut corners. Whether it be comfort or inefficiency, they'll have to accept the shortcomings and a different outcome.

Who gets sold equipment where the capacity doesn't meet the load? Customers that aren't handed a properly calculated load report, that's who. Why are you critisizing the shade tree outfits that use your methodology?

Substituting a simple internet formula for detailed load calculations and an on site system assessment hardly constitutes as wisdom....

Without consternation, I am hereby revoking your privileges to read my posts.
Wow.... since you refuse to see anything but your way as the right way, thank you for taking care of that for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House