Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 11:28 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
It's subjective. What I think is awesome, you will think it's not. As for dated, it's a cycle in fashion/décor. It will come around again. Soon what you think is dated will be vintage then all the rage yet again.

Personally I prefer inner courtyard floor plans.
I love the inner courtyards as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 03:28 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Since the vast majority of new construction is being built with open floor plans, I'm not quite sure how it seems dated? It's not brand new, sure, but it's still the current style.

Now, it may not be your preference, and that's certainly reasonable, although I think if you are looking for new or newer construction, you may have pretty limited options, and you might be better off considering an older home and perhaps updating the kitchen and baths if you want those to be new.

I think open is here to stay if for no reason other than it is the most inexpensive to build.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:19 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

Also, the Susanka Not So Big House concepts are very appealing. Better design rather than just bigger.

Amen, amen, amen.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:04 PM

348 posts, read 415,719 times
I've been watching way too much HGTV lately and almost every show with renovation or house hunting going on has a request for an open floor plan "to keep an eye on the kids while I'm in the kitchen".
My kid's grown and moved away, but I still like an open floor plan so I can keep an eye on the TV when I run into the kitchen.

Solution for the kitchen mess is to keep it clean. That's what I've been trying to do at least.
Although...I also kinda like the pass-through "pony wall" type things that some kitchens have.
I DO NOT like galley style kitchens, though. Definite pass for me. Unless I'm absolutely sure I can somehow "open up" the kitchen, my dream home will not have a galley style kitchen.

-T.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:32 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
Well, I don't like having kitchens in plain view and I also like having a formal dining room. On special occasions , I don't want to use our Lenox china, Towel Sterling, Waterford crystal, on a casual breakfast table. That is why we bought Ethan Allen Cherry dining furniture. I also have two grand pianos ( one may be gone soon) and I don't want to have to give up seating for them. While not wanting to live in a museum, I do like a since of formality. We have no kids anymore and no pets.
Also, one story only! No steps! Ranches are fine , IMHO.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:18 AM

138 posts, read 129,648 times
I find that open floor plans make furniture placement difficult. I mean, I actually need a certain amount and certain types of furniture, and it gets difficult with some of the open floor plans. Not all furniture looks right floating in the middle of a room. So those items have to go on the outer walls, and it sometimes forces other furniture into strange configurations. Hard to explain, but that's one of my gripes about open floor plans.

I like "semi-open" floor plans on the main level, I guess. For example, our house has a foyer with four ways to go: upstairs, kitchen (off by itself to the back of the house), dining room, or living room. The living room and dining room are also linked by a large open doorway between them, so they are distinctly separate rooms that still feel unified and make for nice entertaining.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:18 PM

376 posts, read 598,476 times
I prefer open floor plan for smaller home or apartment, if the home is large, semi-open may be best. My parents' home is over 5000 ft, they have the kitchen, casual dining and family room in one large space, but still have a separate formal dining room, formal living room and a library.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:36 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
To me, open floor plans turn the entire house into a big eat-in kitchen. I don't mind a living room-dining room combination, but I want the kitchen to be apart from it - and I want space in the kitchen for a small table, too.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:37 PM

524 posts, read 574,191 times
I like at least 9 ft ceilings (prefer flat versus vaulted), an open great room (kitchen, family room, and dining), and an enclosed office. I like an informal house that isn't too big or too small and has rooms I actually use without redundant or formal rooms.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:13 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
I currently live in a '70s home with a semi-open floor plan. The kitchen is enclosed, but the dining, family, and living rooms are open to one another. I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House