Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 02:52 PM

756 posts, read 834,651 times

Advertisements

A Window Unit is noisy, but only when starting up for the first few minutes. The fan sounds loud and like it has a "sore throat". But it cools the air fine, and after a few minutes, the noise goes away. The fan has the quiet gentle noise like it usually does. It does not seem to malfunction. But it the fan is just slightly noisy when first starting it every day. Am I just panicking?

Also, the window unit some times makes little rattling squeaking noises when the compressor (when it cools the air) turns on for the first fifteen minutes of the day, towards the end of the cycle it starts to squeak and rattle. The rest of the day the window unit is fine. It is much quieter during the rest of the day.

This is the largest window unit I have. It uses 1875 W ?! I do not use it 24 / 7 be cause it turns of by it self. The other window units do not turn off. And I never found them to ever be squeaky lol.

I have had them for years. I clean them regularly. I even have mini HEPA filter ionizers to assist in cleaning the air. So I do not think they are dieing. If they are, they have been dieing for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 03:18 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
Not to alarm you but when an AC unit starts to make noise, it is not usually a good sign. Sometimes when an electric motor's shaft bearings (or bushings) are starting to fail, the shaft will squeal or squeak when the motor is first turned on. Then they may quieten out if the bearings/bushings are not completely worn out. It could be the motor driving the blower fan or it could be the motor driving the compressor.

Rattling sounds more like a compressor noise.

BTW, I am by no means an expert on AC units. Just a home and auto owner for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House