Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 08:54 AM

656 posts, read 1,207,376 times

Advertisements

My garage is unfinished, i was wondering if i can use plywood instead of drywall ? Plywood is bit expensive, but feel we can use nails and the wall will be more functional than drywall. Any concerns/thoughts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 08:59 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,872,345 times
Plywood is flammable unless it’s treated with fire-retardant; there may be local building codes that apply.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:24 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
If the garage is attached to or within 20 feet of the house, I would absolutely go with (properly taped) drywall due to fire and fumes concerns. Tool hanging and such is easily accomplished with materials made for the job or narrow strip of plywood or boards at the proper height.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:24 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,912,049 times
It's going to depend on your local building code. Here, we are required to build a 20 minute fire rating wall between the living envelop and the garage. OSB makes the 20 minute rating. Two years ago we had to hit a 1 hour fire rating but they have now decided that if the folks can't get out of a house in 20 minutes........well, let's just say it's natural selection. WE are required to install 5/8 Type X on the garage ceiling if there is living space above. What may be an option for you is drywall on the living side of the wall and OSB on the remainder to hit your building code, if it applies.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:37 AM

Just a portion of the garage is unfinished. About 20 feet on one side (which is closer to the neighbor) and about 15 feet on the side which is closer to the front porch.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:54 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
Just a portion of the garage is unfinished. About 20 feet on one side (which is closer to the neighbor) and about 15 feet on the side which is closer to the front porch.

So, we can "assume" the garage is attached(?). And the wall that's "closer to the neighbor" is the exterior wall(?) and the other wall is an exterior wall(?); the remaining wall(s) have living space on the other side(?) And the ceiling?

I always recommend drywall just for the fire protection- regardless of the garage being attached or not. The biggest reason is your H/O insurance. If you want the holding power of nails in a wall with drywall you have two-three choices. Either use wall anchors designed for the appropriate load (drywall only). Use OSB, then cover with drywall; or drywall and wood cleats attached to the wall studs.

This subject comes up all the time on another forum and people argue the point about not being able to hang "stuff" with a nail, or easily damaged by car doors, bumpers, water, etc. my retort is always the same- drywall is cheap, repairable, and will reduce your insurance rate/make claims.

Another way to put it- repair garage; or total loss of home and belongs. You decide!

Old 06-17-2015, 10:01 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
So, we can "assume" the garage is attached(?). And the wall that's "closer to the neighbor" is the exterior wall(?) and the other wall is an exterior wall(?); the remaining wall(s) have living space on the other side(?) And the ceiling?

I always recommend drywall just for the fire protection- regardless of the garage being attached or not. The biggest reason is your H/O insurance. If you want the holding power of nails in a wall with drywall you have two-three choices. Either use wall anchors designed for the appropriate load (drywall only). Use OSB, then cover with drywall; or drywall and wood cleats attached to the wall studs.

This subject comes up all the time on another forum and people argue the point about not being able to hang "stuff" with a nail, or easily damaged by car doors, bumpers, water, etc. my retort is always the same- drywall is cheap, repairable, and will reduce your insurance rate/make claims.

Another way to put it- repair garage; or total loss of home and belongs. You decide!
It is an interesting argument. At present he has exposed studs and board and would be going to exposed plywood. That would not obviously make things worse.

I would presume the other walls are finished with a fire retardent wallboard. So the house still has the same protection from roughly the same hazard.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:19 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
In areas that have adopted the IBC, you will need to have one layer of 5/8" Type X drywall mudded and taped between the garage and any living space. You can hang plywood or peg board over that, no problem.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:56 PM

thanks for all the feedback...looks like drywall is the good option.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:12 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
You could do what I did... plywood under fire code drywall.... also makes the wall a shear wall which is always a good in California.

Of course the fire code drywall was only required on the wall between the living space and the attached garage...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House