Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 10:34 AM

19 posts, read 14,973 times

Advertisements

I know that I can hear stuff at friends' apartments, like their neighbors especially upstairs... But never been in shared housing situation, where you live with 4 other people, each of you has a room, there's a shared bathroom and kitchen... How about noises there? Can you listen music at night with headphones on (open headphones so there's plenty of noise escaping), can you type using a normal keyboard (not laptop, so not super-silent), can you take a shower, go to the bathroom, etc at night when others are resting? Or is it too noisy and doing anything but laying in bed quietly and waiting hours to fall asleep would get you kicked out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 12:51 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Depends on the house rules, which are agreed upon by the parties involved.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:54 PM

789 posts, read 1,992,467 times
Before moving into a shared housing situation, you should have all of this figured out with your roommates. This is an absolute must. I have a close friend who rents out the rooms of a house. It has a common family room, kitchen, laundry, and several shared bathrooms. All of these things that you mentioned, plus many more, are discussed with potential renters before they move in, and are included on an addendum to the lease. That way there are no misunderstandings because one roommate thinks that showering after 8 pm is too late, but another thinks that 10 pm is fine. It's all written down and agreed upon in advance. Other things to consider are shared cleaning (even if you're keeping your things picked up, someone still has to dust and vacuum common areas and clean the toilets), allocating space in the refrigerator, any shared pantry items (does everyone have to own their own salt or pots and pans?), rules about overnight guests, having friends over, etc. If you get all of this agreed upon in advance, it will make for a much better living situation for all of you.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
Before moving into a shared housing situation, you should have all of this figured out with your roommates. This is an absolute must. I have a close friend who rents out the rooms of a house. It has a common family room, kitchen, laundry, and several shared bathrooms. All of these things that you mentioned, plus many more, are discussed with potential renters before they move in, and are included on an addendum to the lease. That way there are no misunderstandings because one roommate thinks that showering after 8 pm is too late, but another thinks that 10 pm is fine. It's all written down and agreed upon in advance. Other things to consider are shared cleaning (even if you're keeping your things picked up, someone still has to dust and vacuum common areas and clean the toilets), allocating space in the refrigerator, any shared pantry items (does everyone have to own their own salt or pots and pans?), rules about overnight guests, having friends over, etc. If you get all of this agreed upon in advance, it will make for a much better living situation for all of you.
Wow... That's a lot of rules. I'm not sure shared housing is for me.

I'm not much into cleaning other peoples' stuff... So I suppose I could do share housing if I had a private bathroom too, or if I shared it with one other very clean person. That way, I can just skip on cleaning any other rooms but mine, as I simply wouldn't be using them, ever. Except for the kitchen, which I'd clean up immediately as much as I'd make it dirty (I do that anyway).

Of course then there's the whole 'showering after 10PM' and all thing... Which is doable as long as I don't have to limit my typing and walks to the bathroom.

Oh and I would have my own pot (why do you even need more than one?) and spices and such things anyway, keep them in my room.

Is it even possible to find a shared apartment like this?

Old 06-20-2015, 08:11 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowylover View Post
Wow... That's a lot of rules. I'm not sure shared housing is for me.

I'm not much into cleaning other peoples' stuff... So I suppose I could do share housing if I had a private bathroom too, or if I shared it with one other very clean person. That way, I can just skip on cleaning any other rooms but mine, as I simply wouldn't be using them, ever. Except for the kitchen, which I'd clean up immediately as much as I'd make it dirty (I do that anyway).

Of course then there's the whole 'showering after 10PM' and all thing... Which is doable as long as I don't have to limit my typing and walks to the bathroom.

Oh and I would have my own pot (why do you even need more than one?) and spices and such things anyway, keep them in my room.

Is it even possible to find a shared apartment like this?
Doubtful. If you love with someone you are going to share cleaning. Someone is going to have to dust, vacuum, etc.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Doubtful. If you love with someone you are going to share cleaning. Someone is going to have to dust, vacuum, etc.
Well, unless we both don't use the living room, then it's not up to me to clean it. If we both simply don't use it (so there's only dust, which can be done once a month or even less often than that), then we can take turns. I think that makes sense and is fair. And I'm sure I would not use the living room. Ever.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:25 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
I had roommates for years before I was able to finally afford my own place. Living with friends was the absolute worst and ruined the friendships.

Living with strangers was best as everything was agreed to before I even moved in. I had my own bedroom with lock. We shared a bathroom and took turns cleaning it, although we were all so neat it wasn't a big deal at all; however, we each had our own bathroom tissue hanger and shelf for toiletries in the shower. Towels were not left in the bathroom. We each had our own bathroom soap. The kitchen was similarly divided: we each had our own shelf in the refrigerator and we each had our own cabinet. We were responsible for cleaning up after ourselves. There was no smoking indoors.

We had 15 minute shower limits; however, I worked a night shift so I never used/needed the shower when anyone else did so it all worked out. I don't recall having issues with typing or noise from headphones.

Interestingly, the living room was not an issue at all as the woman who owned and lived there had sectioned the living room so that it was actually part of her living quarters. She also got the balcony. The rest of us had a small but serviceable path to our bedrooms. Honestly, I was working, going out, or sleeping so I didn't care about the living room at all.

Also, I rented rooms and not houses/apartments so I was only really responsible for my bedroom and messes I made in the kitchen or bathroom.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:47 AM

483 posts, read 655,430 times
We have a friend who bought his first house, its big, and it rents the other 3 rooms to 3 other friends. Its all guys, so the "cleaning" is sometimes over looked.

I know they use a chore chart, each month someone is assigned certain duties(trash, bathrooms, sweeping etc) and they do they chores on assigned days. At the end of the month they switch chores.
They use little colored stickers to mark food they care about. If it has no sticker is the rule is if you didn't buy it, you don't get to first or last of it, but otherwise its fair to be used among them.
They each have a laundry day as well.

When they all first moved in, none of them had girlfriends, but now two of them do. I know the gfs are there a lot now, but neither have a key. I'm not sure how the friend is going to handle it if they are over there more then own places(in terms of utilities and space)

For housesharing I would definitely suggest living with friends. I know that any issues they have come up are resolved quickly, because they normally just talk about it.
Me and husband have a room mate as well, since its only one other person other than us we aren't as strict on things like food and cleaning, but its nice because he can help out with our dogs if we are out and they need to walked.

I think house shares and room mates can be great, but you have to decide things upfront and agree to talk to each other if problems come up.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I had roommates for years before I was able to finally afford my own place. Living with friends was the absolute worst and ruined the friendships.

Living with strangers was best as everything was agreed to before I even moved in. I had my own bedroom with lock. We shared a bathroom and took turns cleaning it, although we were all so neat it wasn't a big deal at all; however, we each had our own bathroom tissue hanger and shelf for toiletries in the shower. Towels were not left in the bathroom. We each had our own bathroom soap. The kitchen was similarly divided: we each had our own shelf in the refrigerator and we each had our own cabinet. We were responsible for cleaning up after ourselves. There was no smoking indoors.

We had 15 minute shower limits; however, I worked a night shift so I never used/needed the shower when anyone else did so it all worked out. I don't recall having issues with typing or noise from headphones.

Interestingly, the living room was not an issue at all as the woman who owned and lived there had sectioned the living room so that it was actually part of her living quarters. She also got the balcony. The rest of us had a small but serviceable path to our bedrooms. Honestly, I was working, going out, or sleeping so I didn't care about the living room at all.

Also, I rented rooms and not houses/apartments so I was only really responsible for my bedroom and messes I made in the kitchen or bathroom.
That sounds like a perfect living situation. Except instead of sleeping, I'd be working at my PC locked in my room a lot of the time. I have seen some requests in Norway about "you have to be social and socialize with us," that's definitely not for me, I've my own life and roommates are like business partners, that's how I see it. Hanging out every once in a while and chatting at the coffee machine (or in this case while cooking) is fine and can be fun, but for other stuff - that's why you got friends in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelti12 View Post
We have a friend who bought his first house, its big, and it rents the other 3 rooms to 3 other friends. Its all guys, so the "cleaning" is sometimes over looked.

I know they use a chore chart, each month someone is assigned certain duties(trash, bathrooms, sweeping etc) and they do they chores on assigned days. At the end of the month they switch chores.
They use little colored stickers to mark food they care about. If it has no sticker is the rule is if you didn't buy it, you don't get to first or last of it, but otherwise its fair to be used among them.
They each have a laundry day as well.

When they all first moved in, none of them had girlfriends, but now two of them do. I know the gfs are there a lot now, but neither have a key. I'm not sure how the friend is going to handle it if they are over there more then own places(in terms of utilities and space)

For housesharing I would definitely suggest living with friends. I know that any issues they have come up are resolved quickly, because they normally just talk about it.
Me and husband have a room mate as well, since its only one other person other than us we aren't as strict on things like food and cleaning, but its nice because he can help out with our dogs if we are out and they need to walked.

I think house shares and room mates can be great, but you have to decide things upfront and agree to talk to each other if problems come up.
I have seen some situations where families ask to take care of their kids or pets... That's not for me. Also sharing food and having a sticker board for chores instead of actually deciding what is fair isn't for me either. I hate the governmental system and that sounds like exactly it - it doesn't consider for details, it just tells you to do something regardless. Reminds me of my first housing situation where I was blamed for everything if it happened where I could have been, even though I haven't anything to do with it or even know that it happened.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:27 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowylover View Post
Except instead of sleeping, I'd be working at my PC locked in my room a lot of the time.
IF that is truly the case, do NOT share a house with others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House