U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 7,011 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are having a problem that's driving us crazy! Our house has an "open floorplan" with two story family room that flows into the kitchen. We have a dual climate control (two thermostats...one for upstairs, one for dowstairs). The problem is no matter what how set the thermostats on this time of year...it's always either nice-n-toasty upstairs and cold downstairs...or vice versa. When it's warm upstairs the rooms turn into meatlockers if you close the doors. We're on natural gas (if that matters). ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE!?!?!?!?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 09:19 AM

22,974 posts, read 62,424,025 times
do you have a fire place with a fire place thermostat downstairs?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-22-2008 at 09:29 AM..

Old 01-22-2008, 09:30 AM

5,978 posts, read 18,782,335 times
the_mack: Are you my neighbor? Our neighbor had the same problem...open family room, 2-story foyer, MBR downstairs so for the most part, first floor thermostat kicks in all the time. Well heat rises, so first floor thermostat never stops going...all the heat rises to the ceiling and onto the thermostat on the hallway of the second floor. Since the 2nd floor thermostat "thinks" its hot, being heated by first floor heat, it never goes on, so 2nd floor bedrooms are ice chests! They asked builder to relocate the 2nd floor thermostat to where it is not going to be "fooled" by the first floor one. They had it moved to inside one of the more frequently used bedrooms. Now every floor is hunky dory! Hope this helps.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:11 AM

3,362 posts, read 9,494,456 times
We have an open plan and do not have the problem, what I think helps is the thermostat upstairs is in the master bedroom.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:17 AM

49 posts, read 157,997 times
I've got the same issue. My upstairs is nice and toasty and when the downstairs heat comes on, I get a draft that runs right through the great room. I think that is from the "draw" of air into the lower area return. Also when I turn on the fireplace, I also get all that heat going upstairs. I have a ceiling fan that I know run into help return the warm air back down and it helps, but I do not know how to "balance" the 2 systems so they run somewhat equally and keep the entire home at the same constant temperature.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:18 AM

392 posts, read 1,127,834 times
I have the same setup here, the_mack. Not the most efficient. I'm waiting to hear your response to Sunny's inquiry. bitbit, that is a great idea re the relocation of the upstairs thermostat.

mack, if you have ceiling fans in the high ceilinged areas downstairs, you can try setting the fan to winter time circulation and slow spin help keep some of the downstairs heat downstairs.

I, too, have to keep the doors to some upstairs rooms closed (don't want cats in guest rooms and bath). If such were not the case, I would try heating our upstairs from the down and turn off upstairs heat, especially since we don't use the upstairs much. Not sure what your circumstances are so I'm not sure it would be appropriate for you to try. Consideration must be given to plumbing in exterior walls and how much use the upstairs gets.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:44 AM

285 posts, read 967,597 times
I had this problem in a 3 story townhouse with open staircase in the middle. Freezing downstairs in winter, roasting upstairs in summer.

The only thing I found that helped, but not solved the problem, was to place a "vornado" fan on the floor that had the problem. i.e. in the summer I placed the vornado on the ground floor with the fan shooting straight up the staircase.

In the winter, I placed it on the top floor and pointed it down as best I could. Also, if you have a ceiling fan in the two story room, try running it on "reverse". This pushes warm air down. This helped in a vaulted family room I used to have.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:57 AM

537 posts, read 1,692,216 times
BTDT. But the house I had only had one thermostat; on the first floor at about 4.5'. You could feel the cold at the thermostat elevation as you descended the stairs.
More blankets? a couple of big lap dogs? we also used a space heater and cuddled very close to the fireplace when we had a fire.
When we were looking for our next house, I REALLY wanted more traditional ceilings. Not as big a "WOW" factor when you walk into the house, but we are much more comfortable no matter what level we're on.
I'm sorry I can't offer any more suggestions... just my sympathy.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:06 AM

5,588 posts, read 23,520,052 times
It is simply the way it works with forced air heating and multiple stories. When I had a home with in-floor and baseboard heat it was not in issue.

I now have the same problem with a basement level that stays 5 degrees cooler than the main floor and an upper level that stays 5 degrees warmer than the main level.

We wear sweaters when downstairs, dress normally on the main floor, and wear little or nothing upstairs.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:13 AM

201 posts, read 920,245 times
They just had an episode of This Old House dealing with this issue...you might want to check it out online...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House