Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 11:03 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Or, in the words of Roseanne Rosannadanna, "There's always somethin'".

I don't know if it's just at my house, but there is always something that needs fixing. My DH is very handy, and likes projects, so I can't imagine how hard it is to keep up with things without a handy person around.
Just this week:
Garbage disposal started making a very bad noise. Took a few days to find the paperwork, but today the noise is gone. May have dodged a bullet on this.
Ceiling fan needed replaced.
Weed killer spray nozzle broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 11:36 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Gutters need cleaning, deck rebuilt, siding&trim need to be painted, painting inside, drywall repairs, new carpet, new a/c, garage door...

...and the hits just keep-on comin'!

I'm too busy fixin' everybody else's problems!!!

Old 06-27-2015, 02:25 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
A few months ago my fridge water/ice dispenser stopped working. No whirring noise, no nothing -- it just stopped dispensing ice and water. In that same week, my LG front-loader washer started screaming when in use.

A fridge repairman told me the repair would cost more than 1/2 the price of a new fridge. And the LG washer has always been a problem so I didnt even bother to have a repairman look at it. But I wasnt up to buying new appliances at the time so I continued to use the screaming washer and, just for grins, tried the water/ice dispenser every few days. Fast forward two months and, all of a sudden on the same day, both of them started working just fine again.

I'm pretty OCD about repairs. But I'm learning that, in some cases, time may be a good repairman too.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:33 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
We had a severe storm go thru here. It uprooted trees, tore roofs off of houses, hail, etc. I suffered the whackiest damage I've ever seen in my 68 years of being here. The drywall in the front section of the two car garage, about a 4x 8 sheet, is now on the hood of my hot rod truck in very small pieces. Almost looks like it blew up. The biggest piece is about the size of my hand. Never seen that before. I checked that part of the roof for a lightning strike but saw nothing. Now I have to find the time in our schedule to have the guys come over and fix it. Other than that, I remodeled the entire house last year so no new projects for a while.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:42 PM

324 posts, read 837,422 times
Seems like there is always something in need of fixing here. Today we discovered our water softener wasn't working--and probably hadn't been for awhile. Bought a new one but now husband needs to do the install. All in good time.

Feel like we dodged a bullet though. We had severe thunderstorms forecast for our area today but somehow so far (knock on wood) they have all gone to the north or south of us. We had some rain and mild wind, but nothing major. Considering we live on a heavily wooded lot, JUST finished cleaning up the downed trees from the last storm, AND have only tar paper on part of the roof due to a porch addition that is going up, this seems like a major win. I'll take a kaput water softener over storm damage any day!

Old 06-27-2015, 04:48 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I keep at least three non-working items around to appease the no-workie gods. Mostly it works - or is that doesn't work?

Old 06-27-2015, 04:57 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
We had a severe storm go thru here. It uprooted trees, tore roofs off of houses, hail, etc. I suffered the whackiest damage I've ever seen in my 68 years of being here. The drywall in the front section of the two car garage, about a 4x 8 sheet, is now on the hood of my hot rod truck in very small pieces. Almost looks like it blew up. The biggest piece is about the size of my hand. Never seen that before. I checked that part of the roof for a lightning strike but saw nothing. Now I have to find the time in our schedule to have the guys come over and fix it. Other than that, I remodeled the entire house last year so no new projects for a while.
OH, thanks for reminding me....our phone was knocked out by a storm, so we had to have AT&T out to repair it this week.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:44 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
I broke two sidelight panes by the front door this morning. So it was off to the local hardware store for glass....then home digging through my work bench for supplies.

It's raining now......and more rain in the forecast for at least 24-36 hours. It'll be awhile before I can paint the trim. And you know...I'll be painting all the trim around the sidelight and front door.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:53 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I keep at least three non-working items around to appease the no-workie gods. Mostly it works - or is that doesn't work?
You have the best posts, evah!

To the OP: refrigerator with water issues

Trying to decide what to do to for floor coverings

Went outside and realized the deck is literally caving in--it's on the ground so while potentially dangerous, I have some time

Went upstairs and noticed shower surround seems to be oddly uneven. Oh, that's gonna be a fun repair. Not.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:40 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,791,531 times
Our government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House