Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 01:46 PM

9 posts, read 9,873 times

Advertisements

I am looking to purchase a refrigerator unit in the upcoming weeks.

Based on my initial research, Whirlpool, Samsung, Frigidaire and LG offers models that matches my budget (< $1,800). I am at a point where I wanted to pause a bit on my research and get feedback based on usage before I proceed any further. I am leaning more towards Samsung than Whirlpool due to its appearance may be. Haven't heard too much reviews about Frigidaire or LG to able to consider their model at this point.

If you can share your experience with these manufactures and models that would certainly be helpful.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 03:30 PM

7,234 posts, read 7,034,241 times
I loved my whirlpool. The house I just bought came with GE and I don't like it.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:35 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,388,604 times
I'm on my second Samsung, both bought used. They have some issues (first one had the defroster fail so it would cool for a couple days and then ice-up and warm up, was a $50 part and about an hour of my time to fix ~ but I guarantee that's why I was able to buy a fridge that sold for $2000 new, for $300), but when they work, they work brilliantly. I especially like having 2 cooling systems, one for the fridge, one for the freezer, as it keeps smells, and tastes, from passing between the 2. Similarly, when the defroster went out, it was only on the fridge side.

My current unit has an issue with the defrost condensation pooling under the crisper bins. A well known issue, I just need to take the time to fix it. If I weren't a handy person, willing to buy cheap and deal with issues, I *might* think twice about Samsung. I have a number of other Samsung products in my house and they all share good looks, and stupid issues that are annoying, but typically cheap and easy to fix (that don't happen all that frequently, but once is too much for those who can't troubleshoot and repair themselves).

Old 06-28-2015, 12:53 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,137,261 times
I had a Frigidaire in my old house, and like it a lot. It was part of their Professional Line, though and when I was looking at the website, it seems like they aren't making much in the line anymore.

In my new house, I have a Samsung and so far, I've been very happy with it, aside from having the water filter in the bottom corner which makes it a bit awkward to access.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:39 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,846,128 times
I read where those Stainless steel refrigerators are out dated now , they've had there run. White ice is suppose the be the next color, a service man once told be that the engineers are told not to make appliance parts to last ?

Old 06-28-2015, 05:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,373 posts, read 80,755,479 times
I don't care about the latest style, but got stainless to match the other appliances. We were looking at the Samsung 28 CuFt french door with water/Ice in door, that runs $3,200. One day I happened to be at Home Depot
and saw one near the entrance that was on closeout. It had been marked down to $2,600, $1,600, and was at $999 so I called my wife to confirm and snapped it up. Apparently they needed to make space for the new models. We love it, bright LED lights inside, digital controls, quiet and works great.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:26 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,137,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
I read where those Stainless steel refrigerators are out dated now , they've had there run. White ice is suppose the be the next color, a service man once told be that the engineers are told not to make appliance parts to last ?
Stainless is a standard choice and is not going to be outdated anymore than black or white appliances are. It's been popular for decades now and it's not going anywhere.

And White Ice has pretty much come and gone without much impact. It's not the next big thing, it came out in 2012. I actually considered it for my new construction house (I moved in the end of last year) and I do think it was attractive. But a big part of why I didn't was because it was not even popular enough for several appliance stores I visited to keep in stock to have in the showroom. The other reason I didn't get it was that the one that I did finally get to see in person was all dinged up, and the white paint (or whatever the surface was) did not seem sturdy at all, you could see the metal beneath it where it was scratched and dented. I've had stainless for about a decade now in two different houses, and even when it gets scratched or dented, it is not very noticeable the way the damage was on the White Ice model.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:46 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,846,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Stainless is a standard choice and is not going to be outdated anymore than black or white appliances are. It's been popular for decades now and it's not going anywhere.

And White Ice has pretty much come and gone without much impact. It's not the next big thing, it came out in 2012. I actually considered it for my new construction house (I moved in the end of last year) and I do think it was attractive. But a big part of why I didn't was because it was not even popular enough for several appliance stores I visited to keep in stock to have in the showroom. The other reason I didn't get it was that the one that I did finally get to see in person was all dinged up, and the white paint (or whatever the surface was) did not seem sturdy at all, you could see the metal beneath it where it was scratched and dented. I've had stainless for about a decade now in two different houses, and even when it gets scratched or dented, it is not very noticeable the way the damage was on the White Ice model.
That's good to know, thank you, I'm debating for my next one .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House