Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 10:49 AM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My hubbie is having someone come by on Monday to give an estimate to paint our downstairs and tall entry way foyer with an accompanying upstairs hallway. I know to ask how they prep the walls and trim, paint options either us buying or them, assume they move furniture and use protective covering for floors. But is there anything else we should ask or look for when getting the estimate? This will be our first one.

I always heard that you want to hire a painter with heavily paint splattered clothing lol. Also, do people typically get references for painting jobs or no? My husband heard about this guy/company on a local talk radio show when the host was praising the painter for doing such a great job.

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 01:57 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Get a written estimate stating all of the work that needs to be done and the price, also what type of paint and other materials will be used. Find out if “he” is doing the painting or if he has someone else do the work. Make sure things are written down and not just verbal.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:12 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post

I always heard that you want to hire a painter with heavily paint splattered clothing
Really?
Why?

When I paint, I get nothing on myself or my surroundings.

As mentioned above, get EVERYTHING in writing!

Old 07-04-2015, 03:39 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
What you are looking for is the scope of the job. It is very useful, particularly if you are getting multiple bids, to spec your requirements and make sure people are working with the same info.

You need to list the areas involved, roughly how many square feet, type of prep, type of primer and paint, plus how many coats. A simple statement that the painter is responsible for covering existing flooring, trim and windows and is responsible for repairing any damages is probably sufficient.

Include not only the amount, but how much is paid and when. Are you paying a deposit for materials? When is payment in full due?

Old 07-04-2015, 03:40 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Get a written estimate stating all of the work that needs to be done and the price, also what type of paint and other materials will be used. Find out if “he” is doing the painting or if he has someone else do the work. Make sure things are written down and not just verbal.
Bonded and insured?...Also, get references and perhaps before and after pics from other jobs. The announcer may have been doing a paid advertisement.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Bonded and insured?...Also, get references and perhaps before and after pics from other jobs. The announcer may have been doing a paid advertisement
Ooh. Good point!

Old 07-04-2015, 06:25 PM

Thanks everyone! Happy 4th!

Old 07-04-2015, 09:25 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Have a definite start and end date. You need to know how long the job will take and when it will be finished. What time will they show up and who is doing the painting. Does the painter contract out or do it himself. Make sure that the painter is insured.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:03 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Excellent suggestions from everyone above -- especially how many coats. I had a painter try to get away with one coat of medium-tone paint on a white orange-peel type of wall. I hadn't asked about it and when he left the first night, I noticed white spots where the paint had not covered the wall. Made him do a second coat the next day. Sometimes they will say the primer's included and only one coat is needed -- I don't buy that, I want two coats especially when it's a color going over white paint.

Make sure you discuss what type of paint they use or recommend -- flat, eggshell, etc. I hate seeing sheens on walls, but they're making better low-luster washable finishes now. I used to demand flat, but it really is difficult to clean or touch up.

Also, I assume you're getting the woodwork painted too? You need to ask what type of paint and what color they will use. My last painter used his standard white trim paint, which it turns out is a little too blue-white, so the master bedroom door doesn't quite match the outer-wall trim around it, which is a creamier white.

One painter I hired a few years ago used Porter paints. The next painter used Benjamin Moore and said Porter is one of the cheapest you can buy. What did I know...? So make sure they're using a quality brand.

I agree on finding out WHO will actually be doing the painting. One guy giving me an estimate complained about one of the workers being sloppy or some such thing -- needless to say, I didn't hire that company. I also am fanatical about sharp edges where the wall meets the ceiling and have seen some pretty sloppy jobs on that.

See if they have a website -- if they do, they usually have a photo gallery of their work. I didn't call for references, because in one case the painter had been referred by neighbors, and in another case the painter was recommended by the Benjamin Moore store. And I figured the references they give you are certainly not going to be people who didn't like the job they did.

And finally, cheaper is not always better. You get what you pay for. Good luck!

Old 08-03-2015, 07:35 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
The MOST IMPORTANT things-

Workman's Comp Ins.
General Liability Ins.
And Material Supplier Certificate and Waiver of Lien

A contract with a Scope of Work, and payment schedule ("bonded" is not necessary- most people don't even know what that means- its an assurety bond that the job will be completed- obviously not needed when there's a payment schedule).

These are the must haves- most people only thing about "scope of work"; that is so broad and detailed at the same time, I'll leave at "get several quotes and make an educated decision based on the facts before you".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House