Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 11:23 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Our HOA allows dishes, they just dictate the installation location. They must be mounted in the rear of the residence where the neighbors aren't subjected to having to look at what amounts to clutter.
I would never have dish for two reasons, first is the looks of that dish hanging on my house, and I don't want cables running all over the place. The home builder puts the cables in the walls where they don't show, then along comes the dish people who run their own cables all over. There may be exceptions, since I'm no expert on dish, but all the installations I've seen, the cables are run outside the walls. Just my opinion, I don't attempt to influence anyone Else's decision... Thankfully I have fiber-optic available in my area, the best of all worlds...
My dish installation uses the wiring the builder put in. Cable installers will run outside the home, too. They all do what is the least expensive for them.

Note that the HOA cannot dictate where the dish goes. If the only place for clear line of sight is on the front of the house then it can go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 04:11 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Today, we had Comcast install cable, Internet and phone for us.

That was after 3 failed attempts by Direct TV to come out and install a dish and set up service. Last Mon, they came out and said they would need some special equipment to install it. Wed, someone else came out and had no idea about the need for any special equipment. Yesterday, a different guy came out and informed us that based on our house and roofline, no Dish could be mounted on our house at all, period.

He gave us the option of putting it on a pole in the backyard. We said No way, it's tacky. We back to a marina and my husband said he would not subject people to looking at crap like that.

But, OTOH, it's a lot smaller and less intrusive than a swing set, or a storage shed, or a play house, so what's the big deal?

Old 07-07-2015, 04:38 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,794,210 times
Don't get upset, regular antennas no but dish antennas yes.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:22 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
If a H.O.A. requires that the dish be mounted on the rear of the house, but then the dish points directly into a tree, the home owner can mount the dish wherever a clear signal can be received.
The rules were written for people who live with H.O.A. rules where there is not mandatory payment of cable subscription in the monthly fee. If they want TV service, they can pay for their own dish service or free OTA antenna TV. With so many sub-channels now available, many people are cutting the cable cord and installing an antenna.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:47 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
If you really want to have fun with your HOA, get an Amateur Radio License from the FCC, then ask the HOA if you can put up a communications antenna (or 2, or 3) on your home.
My, but the fur will fly!

Old 07-08-2015, 08:13 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
But it is true. "An owner or a tenant has the right to install an antenna or a dish [under 39.37"] on property that he owns or has exclusive use or control, to include single family home, condominium, cooperative, townhome or manufactured home."

If you don't own the outside of you apartment then this does not apply to you.

but owning a co-op, you own only the inside of the apartment, not the outside bricks, fire escape....etc.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:02 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
but owning a co-op, you own only the inside of the apartment, not the outside bricks, fire escape....etc.
That is not the whole story. Even in a coop, dishes may be installed on balconies or patios that are "exclusive" to the owner/tenant.

Read https://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-...n-devices-rule where it says:
"
Q: If I live in a condominium, cooperative, or other type of residence where certain areas have been designated as "common," do these rules apply to me?
A: The rules apply to residents of these types of buildings, but the rules do not permit you to install an antenna on a common area, such as a walkway, hallway, community garden, exterior wall or the roof. However, you may install the antenna wholly within a balcony, deck, patio, or other area where you have exclusive use."

Old 07-09-2015, 08:04 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
An association may impose 'safety' restrictions, meaning how the antenna/dish is mounted/fastened or the antenna/dish is mounted out of view like on the side or rear.
The entity trying to enforce their rule must prove the rule is legitimate. The burden is not on the property owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House