Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 12:25 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,230 times

Advertisements

Just use shelf liner. For some reason the 2 homes I've rented here in Seattle (upscale areas) had trashed interior cabinets. Nothing a little shelf liner won't fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 12:45 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspotzsz View Post
The thing I hate the most is the kitchen cabinets and they look old and nasty and I don't even want to put my things in there.
Clean them. Put contact paper down.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:52 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspotzsz View Post
Thanks but just moved to Minneapolis.
OK-
Table of Contents - Landlords & Tenants | The Office of Attorney General Lori Swanson

Old 07-14-2015, 02:32 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
A friend of mine who flips houses turned me on to a spray product called Krud Kutter. It has an orange and yellow label. I bought mine at Lowes but it's sold in other places, too. It comes in a gallon size bottle if you need a lot. Spray it on, let it sit awhile and do it's work. Scrub with a some fine steel wool and rinse well. For the exterior, once the wood is dry polish it with a product like Old English furniture polish. If a lot of the wood is discolored or mottled, you can buy furniture polish that has stain in it (just don't spill it). Hardware stores also sell crayons and markers you can use to even out wood tones in smaller places where the finish is off completely or there are scratches. Look in the department that sells wood refinishing products.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_127394-12880...e&kpid=1009827

If you hate the pulls that are on the cabinets, you can find inexpensive ones at places like Target, Home Depot, or IKEA that you could replace them with. It can give the cabinets a totally new look if you switch to a different style or metal color.

I agree with putting contact paper on the shelves but make sure the interior of your cabinets are completely dry before you do. For shelves that will hold glassware or fine china, I use a product called "Grip Premium," also made by the company that makes Contact paper. It's a padded, non-adhesive mesh product that is soft and and cushions breakable things. It cuts really easily and stays in place on the shelf. The one in this link is taupe, but it also comes in white and black. If you have an IKEA near you, they sell a similar product in white that is less expensive.
Con-Tact Brand® Grip Premium Non-Adhesive Sh... : Target

Here's an online source of shelf liner, sticky but repositionable, that is not "Contact" brand. They carry some designs that are not the usual.
Chic Shelf Paper

It will take a bit of elbow grease but you can make ugly cabinets look much better.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 07-14-2015 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 07-14-2015, 02:33 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Just use Murphy's Oil Soap in the outside and put shelf liner on the inside.

^^This. I've also used Old English furniture polish...liquid, not the spray. You may need to do it a few times. If that's dry paint, try using a razor to gently scrape it off if detergents won't remove it or maybe a Mr. Clean Magic eraser. Definitely shelf liners on the inside.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:46 PM

488 posts, read 819,268 times
You could paint it white and put on some new hardware, if the owner will allow it. It is quite a bit of work, if you do it right (removing the doors, cleaning and degreasing, sanding, priming, painting). But it'll look like a new kitchen. Whether it's worth it or not depends on how long you plan to stay.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:30 PM

402 posts, read 976,086 times
The outside is formica. Will Murphys work on that? You should line the shelves and drawers and degrease the outsides and polish with some car wax.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:53 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
The outside is formica. Will Murphys work on that? You should line the shelves and drawers and degrease the outsides and polish with some car wax.
Sorry to disappoint you, but those are plywood doors with an oak veneer, stained and varnished, not a plastic laminate.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:57 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
Goo Gone makes a remover specifically for removing dried paint. I'm not sure if it will work on something as dry as that appears to be, but it works real nice on the overspray and drips that our painter got on our doors and windows that have dried for several months before we could get started on cleaning up his mess (long story).

Old 07-14-2015, 09:07 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Another vote for Old English polish. Get the darker wood option - go the shade darker than what the wood is. Great stuff. You can get it at Home Depot, and most hardware stores.

If you owned it, I'd suggest sanding and painting them. I had cabinets like that in an old condo I bought in Davis, CA. I used a liquid sandpaper product, that goes on like paint, then painted them white. Wow, what a difference.

To do it right, though, sand them with a sander. But, for a quick improvement, the liquid sandpaper worked good enough so I could get the job done in one weekend.

But, if you don't want to deal with painting, or can't get the landlord's permission, just use the Old English polish. You'll be amazed. It has a stain in it, so it covers the scratches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House