Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 11:34 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times

Advertisements

Hi there.
I have several outside seating arrangements, including two areas by the pool. Having an issue with birds pooping on the furniture. Any tips on what I can use to keep them away? I don't want to cover the furniture because the drab covers will totally kill the aesthetic. The back side of the house is almost all windowed, overlooking the pool area. There's a large tree and landscaping all around. This creates a very nice, tranquil view from inside. Seeing everything covered by canvas just wouldn't look right, especially since it's summertime and little threat of rain. the birds have even sat and pooped on furniture beneath the patio cover. It's just getting annoying now. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 11:42 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
The alternative to covering is washing off the poop. It doesn't take much time or effort.

Either that... or a killer cat.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:07 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Be thankful you don't have bears or raccoons. Raccoons LOVE to take a dump in a pool.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:29 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hi there.
I have several outside seating arrangements, including two areas by the pool. Having an issue with birds pooping on the furniture. Any tips on what I can use to keep them away? I don't want to cover the furniture because the drab covers will totally kill the aesthetic. The back side of the house is almost all windowed, overlooking the pool area. There's a large tree and landscaping all around. This creates a very nice, tranquil view from inside. Seeing everything covered by canvas just wouldn't look right, especially since it's summertime and little threat of rain. the birds have even sat and pooped on furniture beneath the patio cover. It's just getting annoying now. Thanks.
I went to a person's house one time that had a pool, and they had strung lines of thin twine at about 2' - 3' intervals across the entire patio and pool area. It keeps the birds from even thinking of landing anywhere there, and it won't ruin a tan because the sun is always moving.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:30 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Get some fake owls.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:51 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Get some fake owls.
My thought as well.

Owl decoys work well at keeping other birds away. Just move them around every 3-6 days so the birds don't get used to it being in one place and not moving.

Not so much in Texas but in northern climates, avoid dark colored furniture. The birds go to that because of the heat they can get that's radiated off of dark colors. (Same with boat covers... avoid dark colors).

Old 07-24-2015, 04:02 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,161 times
What about covering them with clear plastic?

Old 07-24-2015, 07:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Be REALLY glad you don't have seagulls.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:00 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hi there.
I’ve stopped at the $1 store and bought several stuffed animal toys that look like cats or small teddy bears and put them in several of the trees in the backyard to keep a woodpecker from coming around. It works if I move the teddy bear to a different location every few days. You might try placing them on the furniture and see if that works. Your only cost is a several bucks for two or three stuffed animals.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:02 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
"I’ve stopped at the $1 store and bought several stuffed animal toys that look like cats or small teddy bears and put them in several of the trees in the backyard to keep a woodpecker from coming around."

"Uh, neighbor? Whacha doin'??"

"Rearranging the teddy bears in the trees."

"Uh huh. Any WHY are you doing that?"

"To keep the woodpeckers away."

"I don't see any woodpeckers."

"See how good it works?!"

"Martha, you aren't going to believe what our crazy neighbor is doing. He rearranges teddy bears in trees to keep woodpeckers away!"

"George, I have a great idea. While he is sleeping, lets exchange out all his teddy bears for pink flamingos."

"Ooh! Yeah! And rearrange the teddy bears around a table with teacups and saucers."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House