Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 11:12 AM

163 posts, read 247,330 times

Advertisements

What I would do.

Post a Craigslist ad in the free section and put a picture of the basketball hoop on it and say, "Free basketball hoop, I put it out in the street, first come first serve. Pickup between the hours of 'when your neighbor is at work' or the garbage man will get it."

Or put on your Air Jordan's and start dunking on those kids. It's out in the street so it is a public hoop.

Call up the code enforcers and get the police involved. Why would you pay a lawyer to go after the HOA when city code trumps HOA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 11:20 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I'd let it go. I know it's not right, but this is going to control your life to the extent it will cause even more stress. Don't escalate the situation or you may regret it later. It takes a bigger person to walk away. You'll soon be gone. Or maybe you could rent it out now and rent an apartment for yourself?
This is kind of what I was leaning toward, as is my gf, but I see that the majority see to agree (as I also saw in other threads online about similar issues) that he is being the jerk here and that I SHOULD go after it via CE. He has no right to put it there, and he thinks his kids convenience is more important than my right to quiet enjoyment of my home.

I'm just wary of this escalating into something like what happened in Snohomish when a dispute between neighbors (one neighbors kid stole their motor cycle, they pressed charges even though they were asked not to and would be reimbursed for the damages; they pressed charges to teach him a lesson and next thing you know hundreds of thousands in legal fees between the city, both neighbors, surveillance systems and a poisoned dog, the entire police department was disbanded, the Police Chief whom the neighbor who's kid stole the bike worked for was sentenced to jail for corruption and she lost her job over it. A simple dispute got blown out of proportion.

Then again, he is being a real ass, he doesn't give a crap about us and now he stares me down with that smug and threatening look on his face? I almost think it's worth calling code enforcement over that, but I just have a feeling this guy is going to escalate and it will keep going on. Since I'll be moving in a year anyway, and it rains here most of the year, along with the fact that I am in a full time grad program, full time work, have several rental properties that take up time, etc. I don't know that the stress of this BS is worth it. Yes, it's unjust, and I WANT to pursue this via code enforcement, but I just don't know if it is worth it consider he might escalate (start complaining about my property or making up stuff or start a confrontation), and all the other stuff I have going on, not to mention this won't be an issue in a year anyway.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:23 AM

Also, consider he can easily just come stand on the street and dribble the ball to annoy me. Don't think there is much I can do there, doubt the cops will do anything about that, even if I tell them the back story.

Ideally I'd turn this into a rental for 3 years after I move out to let it fatten up but during that time he could just start filling ridiculous complaints against my renters, forcing a legal issue with the HOA.

This guy is an obvious prick who refuses to admit he is in the wrong. I could see him doing all of the above out of spite.

Last edited by Tac-Sea; 07-25-2015 at 11:42 AM..

Old 07-25-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You really should not need an attorney, though. If it is against the city ordinance to leave the goal in the street, then he is in violation and the city will take care of it.

Your taxes have already paid for someone to take care of this for you.
I just wanted to get my ducks in a row with an attorney just in case. It was well worth the $400 bucks for a review of the documents and a couple of calls. Now at least he is someone I can call on if I decide to press the issue against the HOA as well to let them know I will not accept being bullied.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:13 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
You have a common problem that younger people have. Deep down you want everyone to like you, or at least be neutral to you. Your neighbor is a prick and a bully and that ain't going to happen EVER. Your whinging and dithering isn't about your neighbor, it is about your own fear.

When you see him outside walk over, look him in the eyes, and say "George, I don't give a hoot what you do on your own property or in your house, but that basketball hoop is not on your property and is in violation of code and the homeowner rules. I'm not going to go behind your back. You can move it to your property or sell it, but if it is still there in a week I will call code repeatedly until enforcement does the job it is paid to do and it is gone. If you want to complain, talk to the enforcement officer. If you have a problem with anything I do, I expect you to tell me up front as well."

Old 07-25-2015, 12:29 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
What's the old saying..."discretion is sometimes the better part of valor"...if the kids aren't little hoodlums and only playing basket ball at the end of the day what's the harm?...I know it's annoying but if it can't go on after 10pm...just put music or tv on you probably won't hear it...by the way you are 100% in the right here...

Old 07-25-2015, 12:40 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
It's often hard when generations clash. The older generation wants quiet and the younger generation full of energy are naturally noisy. What to do to make the two ends meet in a compromise suitable for both parties? Unfortunately Tac-Sea life doesn't revolve around your desire for quiet any more then life stops when I'm trying to sleep after a night shift. The kids are playing basketball, so what. Leave them alone and stop being so selfish. I would be the crazy old lady out there shooting hoops with them instead of being a curmudgeon. Yes the noise is annoying, so is the constant slap of our neighbors skate board across the street. I hate it yet I believe in letting kids be kids. I would never tell them to stop because life doesn't revolve around me and my need for quiet. How about investing in a good MP3 player and drowning out the noise with some music? Find another solution beside involving attorneys and making enemies with the neighbors, or move into a community with out kids. How boring. I'll take the laughter of kids playing and the noise that goes with it instead.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:14 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
It's often hard when generations clash. The older generation wants quiet and the younger generation full of energy are naturally noisy. What to do to make the two ends meet in a compromise suitable for both parties? Unfortunately Tac-Sea life doesn't revolve around your desire for quiet any more then life stops when I'm trying to sleep after a night shift. The kids are playing basketball, so what. Leave them alone and stop being so selfish. I would be the crazy old lady out there shooting hoops with them instead of being a curmudgeon. Yes the noise is annoying, so is the constant slap of our neighbors skate board across the street. I hate it yet I believe in letting kids be kids. I would never tell them to stop because life doesn't revolve around me and my need for quiet. How about investing in a good MP3 player and drowning out the noise with some music? Find another solution beside involving attorneys and making enemies with the neighbors, or move into a community with out kids. How boring. I'll take the laughter of kids playing and the noise that goes with it instead.
^^^this x 10.

OP, legally, you may be 100% in the right.

Realistically, neighborly, you need to compromise.

These kids are outside, shooting hoops.

Instead, they could be playing video games all day. Or gang banging.

Perhaps you should look into a retirement neighborhood which is 55+ area where no kids live. That seems to be more your speed. So, yes, put your home up for rent, move into a no kids retirement community, and enjoy your quiet life. EVERYONE will be happier, mostly you.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I get what you are saying, and to an extent I said the same thing above, but did you miss the part about the community basketball hoop just down the street, that our dues pay for? His right to convenience of playing games in the street doesn't override my right for quiet enjoyment of my home. It is as a matter of extreme convenience to him that he feels the need to put the hoop out there, even though he knows it bothers me. He can play basketball at the community hoop, yet he chooses to do so next to my house knowing that it disturbs me. Is that not unreasonable, considering there is another option? I don't have another option, I can't just move to another house tomorrow.

In fact, the law states that he does NOT have the right to put it in the street, but that I do have a right to the quiet enjoyment of my home. It is in the city and county code.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:42 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
In fact, the law states that he does NOT have the right to put it in the street, but that I do have a right to the quiet enjoyment of my home. It is in the city and county code.
...which is easily enforced with one phone call to the Codes office.

Or you can stew about it some more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House