Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:02 PM

23 posts, read 76,055 times

Advertisements

The problem is most people don't bathe or drink only one quart of water a day. The average person uses 540 quarts a day of water...which I am no matmatician but seems like a lot more than a slice of bread. I apologize if I sound argumentative but talking about the amount of sodium that is in an "average quart" of salt softened water doesn't really put it into perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 07:00 PM

286 posts, read 1,481,417 times
Actually, the AWWA (American Water Works Association) member water companies from across the US, the guys with water meters on all their customers' houses, they say that the average American family uses 60 gallons per person per day.

Your 540 quarts or my 60 gals/person/day, are not ingested and the average person does not drink near the 8 8oz glass of water per day that we should. And only the amount of softened water that is ingested is a health concern as to its sodium content.

Those softener owners/users that are on Dr. ordered low sodium or sodium restricted diets know how to count their daily sodium intake.

Others should be aware of their hardness and the amount of sodium or potassium that is added to the water they ingest and, pay attention to the sodium content in the foods and beverages they eat and drink. Example, I just opened a bag of Natural Ruffles chips and from the label, the serving size is 1 oz (28g/About 15 chips). The sodium in one serving is 160 mg. The size of the bag, Net Weight 8 oz (226.8 g).

Are you against the use softeners for some other reason?

Old 11-13-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
Actually, the AWWA (American Water Works Association) member water companies from across the US, the guys with water meters on all their customers' houses, they say that the average American family uses 60 gallons per person per day.

Your 540 quarts or my 60 gals/person/day, are not ingested and the average person does not drink near the 8 8oz glass of water per day that we should. And only the amount of softened water that is ingested is a health concern as to its sodium content.

Those softener owners/users that are on Dr. ordered low sodium or sodium restricted diets know how to count their daily sodium intake.

Others should be aware of their hardness and the amount of sodium or potassium that is added to the water they ingest and, pay attention to the sodium content in the foods and beverages they eat and drink. Example, I just opened a bag of Natural Ruffles chips and from the label, the serving size is 1 oz (28g/About 15 chips). The sodium in one serving is 160 mg. The size of the bag, Net Weight 8 oz (226.8 g).

Are you against the use softeners for some other reason?
Not "only the amount of softened water that is ingested" is a health concern, your skin which happens to be the largest organ in your body abosorbs the sodium and whatever else is in the water...like when you shower in salt softened water.

Actually I am not against the use of a salt softener but I do think that all of the misinformation as it relates to salt softeners is unfortunate for many unsuspecting purchasers. If a salt softener provides the results your looking for then buy one, simple as that.

While I do agree with you that people should be aware of the amount of sodium and potassium that is added to the water and they therfore ingest, why should they be aware of the hardness they ingest?

Old 11-13-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonielle View Post
Not "only the amount of softened water that is ingested" is a health concern, your skin which happens to be the largest organ in your body abosorbs the sodium and whatever else is in the water...like when you shower in salt softened water.
Yes our skin is the largest organ but, many things in water such as hardness, iron, sodium, etc. etc. etc. is not absorbed through the skin.

Only very light toxic or volatile organic chemicals (TOC or VOC) can be. Otherwise we couldn't swim in the oceans, or shower or take a bath in most of the waters of the world.

Quote:
Actually I am not against the use of a salt softener but I do think that all of the misinformation as it relates to salt softeners is unfortunate for many unsuspecting purchasers. If a salt softener provides the results your looking for then buy one, simple as that.

While I do agree with you that people should be aware of the amount of sodium and potassium that is added to the water and they therfore ingest, why should they be aware of the hardness they ingest?
What misinformation are you referring to?

That last part, to my knowledge, ingesting hard water isn't a concern. Some people in some areas of the US believe that drinking hard water is beneficial but, you have to drink a lot of water to get any measurable benefit from hard water and, drinking too much water will kill you. The benefit of softening water is not in the drinking of it, it's in using it in plumbing and fixtures and washing things like bodies, clothes and dishes, cars and other vehicles and protecting water using appliances from the damage caused by hard water.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:55 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Last time I checked the VAST majority of the water I showered in ran off my body and was not absorbed and then released out another area. I would think IF (and it is a huge if at that) there were any absorption of salts through the skin it would be negligible.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Last time I checked the VAST majority of the water I showered in ran off my body and was not absorbed and then released out another area. I would think IF (and it is a huge if at that) there were any absorption of salts through the skin it would be negligible.
Thank you for clearing that up...

Old 11-14-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Yes our skin is the largest organ but, many things in water such as hardness, iron, sodium, etc. etc. etc. is not absorbed through the skin.

Only very light toxic or volatile organic chemicals (TOC or VOC) can be. Otherwise we couldn't swim in the oceans, or shower or take a bath in most of the waters of the world.

What misinformation are you referring to?

That last part, to my knowledge, ingesting hard water isn't a concern. Some people in some areas of the US believe that drinking hard water is beneficial but, you have to drink a lot of water to get any measurable benefit from hard water and, drinking too much water will kill you. The benefit of softening water is not in the drinking of it, it's in using it in plumbing and fixtures and washing things like bodies, clothes and dishes, cars and other vehicles and protecting water using appliances from the damage caused by hard water.
If salt is not absorbed in the skin as you say, then why do Doctors tell their patients with high blood pressure not to shower in salt softened water?

Misinformation? These are some of the things I heard from salesmen when I was looking for water treatment;

Won't the softener add salt to my water? "a little, but if you are able to choose between salt or healthful potassium which is needed for a healthy diet"...no thanks I will eat a banana.

"That slick feel you get when washing your hands in salt softened water is not salt in the water but is due to the natural oils on your skin"...seriously?

"Salt is not added to the water, it is only used during regeneration to rid the resin beads of the mineral"....really?

"The only way to soften your water is by using a salt softener". How about RO?

I am not saying that you said any of these things but many do and it is unfortunate that most customers take the salesmen’s word for gold.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
If salt is not absorbed in the skin as you say, then why do Doctors tell their patients with high blood pressure not to shower in salt softened water?
I'm 65 and have slightly elevated blood pressure. I was once married to a nurse and my wife was a nurse. I have never heard of a doctor or anyone else anywhere saying such a thing.

Quote:
Misinformation? These are some of the things I heard from salesmen when I was looking for water treatment;

Won't the softener add salt to my water? "a little, but if you are able to choose between salt or healthful potassium which is needed for a healthy diet"...no thanks I will eat a banana.
No a softener adds sodium, not "salt", the chlorides part of "salt" is not used and I agree, if you want potassium in your diet (which is a must to continue life), don't pay 4 times more for potassium chloride than the same number of lbs of sodium chloride costs or, just to increase your potassium intake by drinking your softened water from a softener. BTW, if you get too much potassium, it will kill you very quickly. It is a primary part of chemical injection used for the death penalty. Dr Kevorkian used it also.

Quote:
"That slick feel you get when washing your hands in salt softened water is not salt in the water but is due to the natural oils on your skin"...seriously?

"Salt is not added to the water, it is only used during regeneration to rid the resin beads of the mineral"....really?

"The only way to soften your water is by using a salt softener". How about RO?
In essence those statements are on average correct. Your Easywater is not removing any hardness and nothing else will as easily and inexpensively as a water softener.

All ROs have a pretreatment requirement concerning how much hardness is allowed in the water that the RO will be installed on, or can be used on. Meaning, too much hardness and the RO membrane will be ruined. So no, you don't use an RO on harder water than it can remove unless you soften the water first. And a 'whole house' POE (point of entry) RO would never be used in place of a water softener.

You keep saying "salt softened water" or "salt softeners" and think that "salt" is added to the water it is not. Sodium or potassium is, and how much is based on how hard the water is in gpg (grains per gallon), the chlorides part of "salt" goes to drain totally unused.

I do agree that there is misinformation, as there is in all industries and I'm doing my best to help you cut through it. Everything I've said is easily proven. Anyone can visit any resin manufacturers' web site and find the spec sheet on their softening resins etc..

Old 11-14-2008, 11:31 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
To Gary Slusser. I have a couple questions if you don't mind. What size soften would you use on a well pumping 2 or 3 gallons per minute? Those are the ones I unhook. The wells are either old and in disrepair or poor constructed. Not drilled by me, BTW.

Why would anyone buy a produce from someone traveling in a motor home?? I answer my phone 24/7 and am always here or have someone available for warranty work.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I'm 65 and have slightly elevated blood pressure. I was once married to a nurse and my wife was a nurse. I have never heard of a doctor or anyone else anywhere saying such a thing.

No a softener adds sodium, not "salt", the chlorides part of "salt" is not used and I agree, if you want potassium in your diet (which is a must to continue life), don't pay 4 times more for potassium chloride than the same number of lbs of sodium chloride costs or, just to increase your potassium intake by drinking your softened water from a softener. BTW, if you get too much potassium, it will kill you very quickly. It is a primary part of chemical injection used for the death penalty. Dr Kevorkian used it also.

In essence those statements are on average correct. Your Easywater is not removing any hardness and nothing else will as easily and inexpensively as a water softener.

All ROs have a pretreatment requirement concerning how much hardness is allowed in the water that the RO will be installed on, or can be used on. Meaning, too much hardness and the RO membrane will be ruined. So no, you don't use an RO on harder water than it can remove unless you soften the water first. And a 'whole house' POE (point of entry) RO would never be used in place of a water softener.

You keep saying "salt softened water" or "salt softeners" and think that "salt" is added to the water it is not. Sodium or potassium is, and how much is based on how hard the water is in gpg (grains per gallon), the chlorides part of "salt" goes to drain totally unused.

I do agree that there is misinformation, as there is in all industries and I'm doing my best to help you cut through it. Everything I've said is easily proven. Anyone can visit any resin manufacturers' web site and find the spec sheet on their softening resins etc..
Isn't the sodium being introduced into the water you are referring to sodium chloride?

In essence those statements are true? I am sure when I was asking those questions I was looking for factual, truthful information.

I am not trying to remove the hardness from my water and was aware of this prior to purchasing my EasyWater. Again I was more concerned about protecting my appliances...I know what you are going to say that the softener was doing a better job but I have to disagree due to past experiences. I am satisfied with my new purchase but also understand why some people satisfactorily purchase their softeners...I was one of those customers previously.

I do appreciate your information as it has been most helpful. There is a lot of misinformation, or essentially sound information being advertised and communicated to potential customers which I again think is unfortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House