Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:50 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times

Advertisements

A neighbor lives in an older (1986) singlewide - the kind you think of when someone says "trailer." Her electric bills are extremely high, and I am trying to help her figure out how to reduce them.

I will ask her how old her refrigerator is, and if she's trying to cool it near-empty. (Near-empty due to her not being able to afford to fill it, due in part to high electricity costs)

Also, I read that the trailer's skirt should be tight, with no gaps, and can be insulated. With what should it be insulated? With what should gaps be repaired?

I can check her windows and doors for weatherstripping/caulk.

Would reflective solar film or some other coating on the windows help?

What else can be done? We can help her with the cost of small things, and with a new refrigerator if needed, but she cannot afford major repairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 12:14 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,539,630 times
Years ago an avalanche took out hydro power lines and we were going to be hit with high cost diesel generators. The two biggest helps were that we cooked many meals on our propane barbecue and hang dried clothes in the house and outside when it was nice. We managed to drop our electrical usage by 40-50% during that period. Oh, and we also ate at some candle lit dinners. After we were back on hydro power, we continued to keep our cost down by 20-30%.

I'd also check the water heater for efficiency and if A/C is a factor, look into using fans. I consider using space heaters so she's not heating the whole trailer, just the space she's currently in.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:16 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
build a barn around her trailer to shield it from sun, wind, cold, rain, etc.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:40 PM

672 posts, read 2,113,034 times
She can take empty milk jugs, fill them with water and put them in the fridge. It will help keep the fridge cool. She can also add freezable containers of water to the freezer section toward the same goal of running the fridge more efficiently.

Also check to make sure the seal on the fridge is good and the coils are clean.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:22 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
You can do a scattergun approach, or you can determine just what the problems are. Many utility companies have a free or low-cost energy audit program, where testing is done at the home to determine the most cost effective ways to save energy. There are also ways of reading the meter daily or even hourly, to get a log of what is using power. A dripping hot water faucet - even if the water coming out is cool- can use a surprising amount of electric power if the water heater is electric.

In summer, AC is a big user of power. Wetting down the roof on sunny days can help if the roof insulation isn't up to snuff.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:30 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
What Harry said. Start with an energy audit.

I will add that a big awning set up over the top of any trailer house, just a roof on poles, will keep direct sun and direct rain off the trailer, and in most cases is worth doing, if you are somewhere you can do that.

Keep in mind that if you have baseboard type heat, during heating season, higher-efficiency appliances won't help at all, the power not consumed by CFL light bulbs, Energy Star refrigerator, etc. will be consumed by the baseboard heat.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:44 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
always use a clothesline.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:07 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Thanks for your responses. She hangs her clothes to dry. I called and asked, and her refrigerator and hot water heater are both pretty new. I told her about putting bottles of water in the refrigerator and freezer, and she will do that.

I also checked the electric co-op's website and made a list of possibilities - but they seem like small things like insulation behind outlet plates and changing lightbulbs to CFLs. (I think I'll use the outlet insulation idea at my house.)

She thinks the biggest problem is that the heat pump is very old and not working well. She also has one window A/C unit in her bedroom, and she can use kerosene for heat - but has not been able to afford it the last couple years. So now, a new question: Which would be better for heating/cooling a singlewide? To add a window unit in the living room and use kerosene for heat (and stop using the heat pump), or to get a new heat pump? We could help her with either expense as a one-time thing, but we are trying to get it set up so that she can manage on her own.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:29 PM

152 posts, read 497,965 times
Your costs in rough order of percentage of bill they are (depending where in the country you are) heating, cooling, water heating, clothes drying and lighting. Approach the problem by identifying what can be done with the budget available in each of those areas.

Example: lighting CFLs, clothes drying - clothes line, water heater timer, chalking/sealing leaks for cooling and heating. Proper roof ventilation for cooling costs. DIY magnitude for a 80% fix is 200 - 300.00

Old 08-24-2011, 05:28 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,216 times
In Florida here many snowbirds (like my mom) use the oil recirculating heater, it looks like an old timey radiator, two will heat a 35' x 12' home, and there is no fire hazard concern. Cost about $40.00 at Lowes or Home Depot.

Same home, 2 window a/c's do the trick. All in all, if this idea would work in her area, it might be worth considering.

Of coarse a roof over of some type, properly sealed windows and insulation would also help reduce her costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House