Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 08:34 AM

21 posts, read 21,294 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am planning to put my modem in the basement. In order to avoid weak signal issue on my first floor, I am confused between having either powerline TP link or Cat5 wiring ( with programming of the access points).

Powerline TP linkwill cost $40

Home contractor is charging me $140 for Cat5 option.

Although there is difference of $100 but I am looking for reliable and strong internet signal.

Can you please provide your input about which option is the best?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 10:15 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,782,008 times
I just did this in my house. Modem is downstairs and all of the upstairs devices where getting a crappy weak signal. I had a low voltage contractor come and run a Cat5e line upstairs and hard wired a separate router as a secondary access point. works super fast now. I think you will be fine with Cat5e.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:49 AM

Cargoman, thanks for the quick response. Could you please let me know how much did it cost you (not including the separate router)?

Old 08-01-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by family66 View Post
Cargoman, thanks for the quick response. Could you please let me know how much did it cost you (not including the separate router)?
I had a heck of a time finding someone to install a cat 5 cable until it was suggested that I search for a "Low Voltage contractor" so that will help. They came and ran a cable through an existing wall plate down stairs. ran the cable under the house. drilled through two floors and terminated the cable through an existing old land line wall jack two stories up. The labor for two guys, 100 feet of cable, a couple of new wall plates and two r45 connectors came to $260.00. If you have not already done so google how to set up a second router as a secondary access point. Its pretty easy and works like a dream!

Old 08-02-2015, 02:22 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,778,912 times
If you are going to install cables use cat6. The cost difference is minimal, you won't be able to fully utilize them because household routers and modems are not that fast. They will be in the future...

Old 08-02-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you are going to install cables use cat6. The cost difference is minimal, you won't be able to fully utilize them because household routers and modems are not that fast. They will be in the future...
Just make sure the installer knows what they are doing. The bends have specific radius tolerances and if you excessively kink or twist the cable then you have ruined its speed advantage effectively turning it into cat5 cable

Old 08-03-2015, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the input from everyone.

I dont have the background about this technology. Can you please explain how Cat5 setup works and in what way its better than TP (poweline) device?

Thanks,

Old 08-03-2015, 11:03 AM

336 posts, read 587,821 times
Powerline network adapter is generally limited to 500 Mbps max transfer speed, Cat5e is 1,000 Mbps, and Cat6 is 10,000 Mbps. Most newer networking equipment nowadays is gigabit network speed (1,000 Mbps). Running Cat6 will futureproof your line somewhat.

Also, there will be two additional devices in the chain of powerline adapters (the adapters) that can go bad.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:37 PM

4,555 posts, read 5,607,375 times
Thumbs up Ethernet is more reliable than wireless or powerline networking

Depending on your house construction, you don't really need an electrical contractor to install Ethernet cable, it's low-voltage and a good candidate for a DIY project. Advantage of a contractor is that he will already own all the tools, including a fish tape, long drill bits, etc.

OTOH, you can get a tester, connectors, and a crimper inexpensively, only real difficulty is the need for patience and good eyesight to get the colors right when terminating the cable. Cat-5e and Cat6 is much cheaper if you buy 500' or 1000' at a time. So if you're going to do multiple runs, you'll save money after the first cable you install, plus you pick up a useful skill and some new tools.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Depending on your house construction, you don't really need an electrical contractor to install Ethernet cable, it's low-voltage and a good candidate for a DIY project. Advantage of a contractor is that he will already own all the tools, including a fish tape, long drill bits, etc.

OTOH, you can get a tester, connectors, and a crimper inexpensively, only real difficulty is the need for patience and good eyesight to get the colors right when terminating the cable. Cat-5e and Cat6 is much cheaper if you buy 500' or 1000' at a time. So if you're going to do multiple runs, you'll save money after the first cable you install, plus you pick up a useful skill and some new tools.
I began our project as a DIY then realized I did not want to handle it...lol. I came up from under the house and quickly announced.."I'm calling in a proffessional!" Then grabbed a beer. I work a rotating 28 day straight shift so house projects are real hard to get into on my time off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House