Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 07:44 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times

Advertisements

I just rubber hammer and chiseled mine off...not hard, takes time...
then start like new with the adhesive of your choice.
Lots of youtubes showing how....but of course, I'm a mosaic tile artist!
Self taught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 10:21 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buicklimit View Post
The old vinyl floor tiles are held on floor by mastic which can be damaged by hot water from a leaking hot heater.

Ceramic floor tiles are held on floor by cement which is more durable.

If I replace the old tiles by ceramic floor tiles, the tiles in that whole room has to be replaced because the ceramic floor tiles are always thicker than the old vinyl floor tiles.
All I saw in the photos are vinyl tiles.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
The old vinyl floor tiles are held on floor by mastic which can be damaged by hot water from a leaking hot heater.

Ceramic floor tiles are held on floor by cement which is more durable.

If I replace the old tiles by ceramic floor tiles, the tiles in that whole room has to be replaced because the ceramic floor tiles are always thicker than the old vinyl floor tiles.
What kind of tiles do you want removed from your floor, ceramic, or vinyl?

By the way, you can use mastics, ThinSet, etc., to install ceramic tiles on concrete floors. There also are rubberized mastics that are impervious to water. We use numerous kinds at the place I work at.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:24 AM

53 posts, read 60,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
What kind of tiles do you want removed from your floor, ceramic, or vinyl?

By the way, you can use mastics, ThinSet, etc., to install ceramic tiles on concrete floors. There also are rubberized mastics that are impervious to water. We use numerous kinds at the place I work at.
The 9x9 (asbestos?) floor tiles and the black mastic will be removed. Ceramic tiles/thinset will be installed.

Mastic can be damaged by hot water from water heater.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:51 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
You won't live long enough to get all of the #2 cutback (black mastic) off of the floor using water or solvent. And it all MUST come off. If the area is small, you can get it up using a belt sander and a good 40 grit belt. If it's too large of an area, a foundation guy can grind that off in a couple of hours. Failure to remove ALL of it will have the new floor coming up as the thinset can't stick to the floor. Thinset is water based, black mastic is oil based.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You won't live long enough to get all of the #2 cutback (black mastic) off of the floor using water or solvent. And it all MUST come off. If the area is small, you can get it up using a belt sander and a good 40 grit belt. If it's too large of an area, a foundation guy can grind that off in a couple of hours. Failure to remove ALL of it will have the new floor coming up as the thinset can't stick to the floor. Thinset is water based, black mastic is oil based.
It is safer to use non-mechanical method to remove the asbestos mastic for prevention of the asbestos dust.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post

There are no contractors who can remove the black asbestos mastic. Can the new vinyl tiles (self-stick or with new mastic) be attached to the old mastic???

Old 08-05-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
The 9x9 (asbestos?) floor tiles and the black mastic will be removed. Ceramic tiles/thinset will be installed.

Mastic can be damaged by hot water from water heater.
Those 9" x 9" tiles are made of vinyl that contains asbestos. However, if the mastic underneath is black color, there is a chance that it too contains asbestos. As I mentioned before, there are new tile mastics that are water resistant.

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with ceramic tiles, but ThinSet works best on a very clean floor that does not have a smooth finish such as a "broom finish." If the floor has a smooth finish ThinSet may work, and so a water resistant mastic.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Those 9" x 9" tiles are made of vinyl that contains asbestos. However, if the mastic underneath is black color, there is a chance that it too contains asbestos. As I mentioned before, there are new tile mastics that are water resistant.

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with ceramic tiles, but ThinSet works best on a very clean floor that does not have a smooth finish such as a "broom finish." If the floor has a smooth finish ThinSet may work, and so a water resistant mastic.
The difficulty is no company can remove the black mastic in our area. Some people mentioned that thinset/ceramic tiles can be installed on the old black mastic without any problem for many years (so far so good).

Old 08-05-2015, 12:10 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
It appears that Homedepot has a remover that seems to work and is easy to use. The list of reviews seems to all be positive rated.

Home Depot - 1-gal. Mastic Remover customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

Last edited by AksarbeN; 08-05-2015 at 12:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House