Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 08:26 AM

40 posts, read 71,205 times

Advertisements

ADT? Front point? Or any other? Protect America seems less fees but how well does the system work? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 08:30 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Best in regards to what?
Price?
Installation?
Reliability?
Response time?
etc...

Old 08-06-2015, 08:38 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Look at the security system labels on the business doors in your area. Call the security company which has the most labels posted around your town (on businesses). Probably a local company and the businesses like them, so that is a good sign!

Another method is to find a less expensive (in the long term) alarm company and that is less expensive monitoring - like $9 a month. Call the following link and ask if someone in your area can install an alarm system for you which would then be tied into their alarm monitoring service (you would purchase the system and pay for installation, but lower monitoring cost)...
Alarm Monitoring Services Only $8.95 per Month from Alarm Relay

And then there is the "High Security" best system. That would be a "U.L." alarm system monitored by a U.L. monitoring center and two forms of communication to that monitoring center. Big $$ for this type of system and that would be required by your insurance company - typically certain businesses and some government systems.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:39 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,738 times
I'm very happy with Front Point. Their customer service is great, and the hardware is really easy to install. When I researched last year, they were ranked number one.

I've heard bad things about ADT.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:17 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
The best security system has 4 paws and has a deep bark. There is nothing better than a dog. No waiting for the police to show up 30 minutes later, if at all. Low maintenance, just love it and they are great company. No malfunctions, no susceptible to power outages. Cost to feed is usually less than the cost of a system and monitoring. And a rescue dog is the best thing that will ever happen to the both of you.

If you think a dog will just get in the way or you don't have time for one. My youngest girl is a single doctor. She has a Dobie that goes everywhere with her. It's one of the family. We send it Christmas presents every year. Dogs are the best thing that can happen to you.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:05 PM

336 posts, read 591,589 times
Install your own security system - DSC and Elk systems are my recommendations. And hire someone like Ackerman or cheaper to monitor your system.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:22 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
A big dog!

Old 08-06-2015, 01:52 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Thumbs down Dogs are high maintenance, subject to malfunctions & false alarms, and easily hacked.

While a big dog will deter the average crackhead who wants an easy in-and-out score, dogs are high maintenance, subject to malfunctions, prone to false alarms, and are easily hacked.

Unless you go with Xfinity/Frontpoint/ADT, the hardware manufacturer and installer for your security system can be different than your monitoring service. And as long as you're looking at wiring up and monitoring an alarm system, look at an integrated fire alarm -- The same monitoring service can also call the fire department for you.

The best security system is a monitored system where the monitoring service will act quickly, notify you, follows their own procedures, and to which the police will actually respond. Cellular backup is a must. Hardwired sensors are slightly better than wireless, particularly for new construction where the walls are still open and running low-voltage wiring is no problem.

I had issues with "false" alarms initially, but after upgrading some sensors and sealing up the holes where the mice were getting in, that is no longer a problem.

---Update---
Cameras, especially with immediate "cloud" uploading, are certainly useful, but I think having surveillance cameras inside your house is just plain creepy.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 08-06-2015 at 02:09 PM..

Old 08-06-2015, 02:05 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times

Cameras! Lots of 'em, in very obvious / prominent places, hooked to a DVR and/or web systems...

Old 08-06-2015, 05:51 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

Cameras! Lots of 'em, in very obvious / prominent places, hooked to a DVR and/or web systems...
I've really been wanting a camera like that for my house, since I live alone (with my bulldog). Any recommends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House