Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 06:07 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,124 times

Advertisements

When the door is up you could apply some masking tape, like painters tape to the back side of the weather stripping and see if it: holds and does not stick to the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 08:26 PM

17,472 posts, read 65,994,520 times
The talc will be temporary at best- especially if you have high humidity and/or rain. The masking tape will create an even bigger problem- moisture will deteriorate the paper and then you have to deal with the residual adhesive that's left.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:58 AM

17,472 posts, read 65,994,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving876e View Post
You need outside shutters. It will solve the issue.

Right! Better yet, let just pickup the house and reorient it from the Sun- that should definitely fit the problem!

I wonder...

Old 08-17-2015, 10:32 AM

23,585 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The talc will be temporary at best- especially if you have high humidity and/or rain. The masking tape will create an even bigger problem- moisture will deteriorate the paper and then you have to deal with the residual adhesive that's left.
The talc will be temporary, but not for the reason you imply. There are competing effects - the adhesion properties of the material that the talc is on, and the washing of any rain. Adhesion will win. Over time, as the material degrades, there will be more new points of adhesion not covered by the talc. Unless more talc is applied, the problem will return. Flexible materials have limited lifespans. That is the nature of the beast. Some get hard, some get gooey, some fall apart, some sag.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:52 PM

777 posts, read 1,871,363 times
Follow up to my OP of several weeks ago. I had the trim replaced entirely. Color match to exterior paint not so great, but the material was available only in a few selections. The installer indicated that the existing trim was attached too close to the door. That, and paint on the back side of the vinyl, and it was no surprise the door hung up. Why this was a recent problem is unknown. Perhaps the really hot, humid summer and the door's full-sun western exposure swelled it significantly. Regardless, the trim replacement, now installed in the correct position/distance from the door, solved the problem completely.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:59 PM

23,585 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Thanks for the update. Good job.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,126 times
Default Garage door weather strip......sticky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggier View Post
The front of my home faces west and gets direct afternoon sun - many hours worth. As a result, the garage door sticks to the perimeter weather seal. The auto-opener herks and jerks the door until it breaks the seal. Closing and reopening the door shortly thereafter does not produce the same problem, as the weather seal has had not had time to stick again. But many hours later, sticky, sticky, sticky.

The garage door tech explained that this results from latex paint, which is partially on the back side of the weather stripping rubber, that gets really tacky in the heat and direct sun. This could be paint from years before I owned my home, or could be from the two times I've had my house painted since I've owned it. Either way, the stickiness is worsening and is particularly bad in summer.

The tech wanted to spray silicone on the back side of the weather stripping (the part that touches the door), but I refused because if the silicone gets on the door, it'll never hold paint again. Instead, he waxed the weather stripping. Lasted all of a day. He recommended, in order, silicone, wax, or soap. None are a permanent solution and need to be reapplied often.

Short of replacing the weather stripping (actually, it's stop molding like this [URL]http://ddmgaragedoors.com/parts/images/sts-210wh.jpg[/URL]), are there any other options?
I had a similar issue......after a period of time I SAW what was happening....until that moment I thought it was related to garage door opener or door tracks.....I was surprised as to how sticky the weather strips....vinyl portion was....wow...hard to imagine this was the issue. Initially I took a utility knife and cut some of the vinyl strip off of the trim......problem solved.....of course...now....will put up new weather stripping.......amen.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:55 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,248,808 times
I had that same problem. I couldn't understand why the door would jerk so violently when I opened it. I called a good garage door guy and he pointed out the paint that was on the weather stripping was sticking to the door...probably from sloppy painting. He said getting the paint off is almost impossible.

I went to the store, bought a roll of black 1" electrical tape, and put it on the backside of the weather stripping...took about 2 minutes. Cannot see it from the front at all. It was that simple and no more sticking garage door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House