Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 01:34 PM

878 posts, read 2,737,715 times

Advertisements

It is time to update my pots and pans...I am a moderate cook and have had a Farberware set for ages. Now it is time to update...for some reason I am drawn to Circulon but they have so many types...I like the look of the Circulon Elite but am open to suggestions...budget is approx. $200-250 for a 10 piece set which is the prices I see on Amazon...thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 02:07 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times
Calphalon anodized cookware is great. Doesn't flake like non-stick, heats very well, but needs to be washed carefully. You can find Calphalon on sale at places like Macy's sometimes, or online --

Old 01-28-2008, 10:10 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
I also want to buy new cookware. I have my revereware set from at least 20 years ago. Is there a decent (not gourmet or extremely expensive) set that DOESN'T have glass lids? I'm not a fan of glass lids.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:28 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,962 times
One hint, make certain how "flat" the bottom surfaces are. If you're not currently using a smooth cooktop, the chances are good that you will in the future.

Don't ask how I know this, D'oh!

golfgod

Old 01-28-2008, 03:46 PM

651 posts, read 1,416,925 times
I use both Calphalon One Infused Anodized and Le Creuset Cast Iron. Both are a bit pricey but they are high quality and I plan to use these for the rest of my life. I love both brands; however, each has it's pros and cons. The reason I switched to these lines of cookware is that I was trying to avoid teflon which is unhealthy.

Calphalon One is not non-stick. Calphalon is made of a blend of material that gives it a "low-stick" quality. It browns and deglazes great. However, when cooking meat you must make sure that you allow it to cook long enough for the pan to release the meat or it will tear. Additionally, Calphalon One can be used on the stove and then be moved to the oven or broiler eliminating using more dishes. You cannot wash it in the dishwasher, but clean-up is fairly easy if you allow it to soak. I wouldn't want to put my high quality cookware in the dishwasher anyway. One major draw back with this brand is it doesn't, in my opinion, cook dishes such as eggs and pancakes very well.

Le Creuset is cast iron coated in enamel and is pre-seasoned. I purchased Le Creuset to cook my eggs, pancakes, etc. This cookware can also be moved from the stove to the oven. I also like their dutch ovens because they slow cook very well. Two draw-backs of Le Creuset are they can't be put in the dishwasher and they are very heavy.

Another top brand is All-Clad. I don't use it but many people love it. It is Cooks Illustrated favorite brand. One major benefit to All-Clad is that you can put it in the dishwasher.

With any major cookware purchase, make sure you research before you buy. All cookware has strengths and weaknesses. If you are aware of a brands limitations and know how to work around them, you will not be disappointed. I've read a few negative reviews on some of my favorite cookware from reviewers that did not know what to expect and did not know how to use their cookware.

Anyhoo, enjoy your new cookware whatever you decide to buy!

Old 01-28-2008, 04:44 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
Two draw-backs of Le Creuset are they can't be put in the dishwasher and they are very heavy.
I put my Le Creuset items in the dishwasher all the time. It's never been a problem.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:48 PM

323 posts, read 1,969,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
It is time to update my pots and pans...I am a moderate cook and have had a Farberware set for ages.
What sort of range? If you're using gas then virtually anything will work well. If you're using open coil electric then then only thing that you really want to avoid is seriously rounded bottoms (e.g. a real Wok). If you're using a ceramic top you'll want something dead flat and, if our experience with a halogen ceramic top is any guide, it would be better if it had very poor thermal conductivity characteristics.

Personally, we love our Calphalon hard anodized cookware. Calphalon One is fine, though I haven't noticed any significant difference with it other than much nicer handles. The Calphalon One handles - particularly those for the lids - don't get nearly as hot as the standard Calphalon handles. We're also favorably impressed with Calphalon's Professional non-stick stuff - just a couple of omlette pans for us but they tend to get a work out.

It's nice to have a cast iron dutch oven as well. Of course a single Le Cruset dutch oven could blow almost your entire cookware budget so you might want to consider something cheaper.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:06 PM

878 posts, read 2,737,715 times
This is helpful...I have a gas stove.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:11 PM

651 posts, read 1,416,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
I put my Le Creuset items in the dishwasher all the time. It's never been a problem.
Oops! You're correct, Le Creuset can be put in the dishwasher it's just not recommended as it can dull the enamel. I'm just in the habit of handwashing my cookware so I mispoke.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:55 PM

323 posts, read 1,969,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
This is helpful...I have a gas stove.
Lucky you! Of course it means that you haven't narrowed your search down

I've never used the Circulon stuff or even discussed it with someone who has. Their non-stick concept makes some sense. OTOH if the valleys ever lost their non-stick properties I can see them being an absolute beast to keep even moderately clean.

The only cookware that I've been warned away from by someone who has used it is the Scanpan 2000 stuff. That person's take was that it heated unevenly and was nasty to try to keep clean.

Really, if you're comfortable with your cooktop you shouldn't have much of an issue cooking with pretty much anything that's heavy enough to distribute heat reasonably well. The real differences will show up in clean up and durability. Nonstick inside and out has some serious appeal for the cleanup side. On the flip side, nonstick has tended to suck pretty badly from the durability standpoint ever since it first came out - pretty much any applied coating is a weak spot (it's not a huge problem but even enamel on cast iron can chip.)

We've mostly avoided non-stick after our first bad experiences with it and with the Calphalon we haven't missed it too much. When we opted to pick up some more we asked around and the Calphalon Professional was the most recommended lineup that we found (and at a good price on Amazon!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House