Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 10:17 AM

118 posts, read 210,727 times

Advertisements

Why do so many people who already use oil to heat there homes, but need to replace there system (due to age) stick with oil?

I'm talking theoretically...An average sized home and an Oil burner and tank that is at the end of it's life. I know people will have there personal reasons, like if your oil tank is fairly new.

I've been doing a lot of research on oil vs propane (in areas where NG is not available) and it seems like at the end of the day, oil and propane are similar in price.

So, why wouldn't you just use Propane if it's the same price as oil? Propane is so much cleaner burning, doesn't require yearly boiler cleanings, safer to store, and has no smell.

I know you could use the argument that it costs more to upgrade the whole system and that you have to "bury a huge propane tank", but thats not the case. You don't need to bury a propane tank. You could have two on the outside of your house.

What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 12:13 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,757,175 times
Propane is dangerous, IMO. DH won't have it.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:30 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,912,049 times
Quote:
Propane is dangerous
A common misconception of propane gas. Propane MUST have the exact air to fuel mix ratio or it will not burn. My brother while waiting for a state job renewal worked for a propane company. He would demonstrate quite often that principle by lighting a match and then pouring liquid propane on it. It would put the match out. Scared the hell outa me with it. Propane has far fewer BTUs per liquid gallon with propane at 22,000 and heating oil at 138,000. If the cost is the same per gallon, there's far more heat to be gotten from the oil for the buck.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:17 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Propane has far fewer BTUs per liquid gallon with propane at 22,000 and heating oil at 138,000. If the cost is the same per gallon, there's far more heat to be gotten from the oil for the buck.
There is no exact number as it can vary slightly but 1 gallon of propane is about 91,500 BTU's. 1 pound of propane is in the 22,000 range.

Average cost adjusted per million BTU using 85% efficiency:

Propane@ $2.30/gallon - $29.63 per million BTU

Oil@ $2.88/gallon - $24.43 per million BTU

Premium Anthracite Coal@ $200/ton - $9.80 per million BTU

Prices for the oil and propane come from the EIA. Coal prices are based on local prices delivered in Northeastern Pennsylvania and can go up to say $350 if you were in Maine.

You can do your own calculations here for different rates and efficiencies:

Fuel Comparison Calculator for Home Heating

Old 08-22-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Propane is dangerous, IMO. DH won't have it.
The safest thing you can have is coal. It doesn't leak, it doesn't explode. Your house could burn down and you'd have a mound of coal wherever it sat. There is also no issues with the chimney such as you would have with wood.

The only safety concern is CO gas but that is an issue with any heating system that burns something. It is however of particular concern with coal because of fly ash, this will settle in the flue pipes and the bottom of the chimney. Typically it has to be cleaned out once a year, if you don't eventually it will block the flue.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
If you already have an oil tank, and probably a supply of oil, and an oil stove and all pipes involved already using oil, and propane is the same price, why would you switch?

Old 08-22-2015, 11:48 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
I would use oil, but would replace the boiler with a modern one. Some of the newer boilers are vented through the wall, and are a lot more efficient. The old pipe through the roof wastes a lot of heat when the boiler is at idle. Look into wall-vented boilers (direct vent).

This will give you some ideas, but do some research and shop around for the right unit:
Oil Boilers: High Efficiency Oil Boilers Installation & Replacement

Old 08-23-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The old pipe through the roof wastes a lot of heat when the boiler is at idle. Look into wall-vented boilers (direct vent).
My 98 year old Grandmother just got a new gas boiler for the convenience of everyone else, she ran out of Great Grand Children that could take care of it for her. It replaces a 40 year old coal stoker boiler that is going to someone's house because they are just that well built.

Not sure if they have them for oil but on hers it has automatic pipe damper, it opens right before it fires and when it's done firing will close. The heat can't go up the flue and stays in the boiler, there is vent across the side of boiler and you can feel it coming out. Not sure if that is by design but for her that is actually important becsue the house is probably 150 years old.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:45 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
As others have said, it is the cost that is the issue for most people. I have propane for heat and cooking and the set up is fairly simple. A tank is supplied by the propane company. A line runs to the heat pak and to the stove. But notice I said heat pack, and that means a different heating system is needed than with oil. My unit handles both heating and cooling and it cost about five thousand dollars. That said, propane deliveries are easy, they can be regularly timed or on demand. Never, ever have had a problem, and historically people never do have problems.

Oil runs into the problem of the tank eventually leaking, which requires very expensive environmental hazard tyoe clean up if not detected immediately. We are talking low tens of thousands of dollars if it gets into the soil.

Coal may not explode, but it does slowly contribute to air pollution.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:55 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
As others have said, it is the cost that is the issue for most people. I have propane for heat and cooking and the set up is fairly simple. A tank is supplied by the propane company. A line runs to the heat pak and to the stove. But notice I said heat pack, and that means a different heating system is needed than with oil. My unit handles both heating and cooling and it cost about five thousand dollars. That said, propane deliveries are easy, they can be regularly timed or on demand. Never, ever have had a problem, and historically people never do have problems.

Oil runs into the problem of the tank eventually leaking, which requires very expensive environmental hazard tyoe clean up if not detected immediately. We are talking low tens of thousands of dollars if it gets into the soil.

Coal may not explode, but it does slowly contribute to air pollution.
If you are aware of the news relating to natural gas and propane leaks around the nation, you will notice lots of problems with both, from home fires, underground explosions, and so on. Heating fuel is used all over the Northern States,m specially the East coast. And yes, there are dangers associated with the use of heating fuel, and so with propane, natural gas, coal, and firewood. Home owners have to choose the most economical options to heat their homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House