Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 04:25 PM

797 posts, read 1,748,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
What is the model number?
WA45H7000AW (bought at lowes)

Samsung Top Load Washer WA45H7000AW/A2 | Front Load Washers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 05:38 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
Interesting: GE Is Building the Great American Washer - Reviewed.com Laundry

GE thinks people are dissatisfied with HE washers, and is building traditional top-load agitator models that meet Energy Star standards (on certain cycles). They also feature a "Deep Fill" cycle for people who think putting 20+ gallons of water into the tub is the only way to get clothes clean.

FWIW, I love our LG WM3470HVA HE front-load.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:35 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
After having the top of the line Maytag and Whirlpool and unloading them because they took forever to do a load of wash and the clothes came out like they went in- dirty. I have Speed Queen now and love them. They are not a cheap though. But they have all metal transmissions unlike the others and come with a stainless tub, not plastic. It's old school all the way with you controlling the water and temperature and how long it runs. If you want to cheap and dirty clothes, buy one of the store brands. Want full control over the washer and clean clothes- Speed Queen. You probably won't live long enough to wear it out. The others will last about 6-8 years tops. The new crap is just that, plastic crap.
Please don't tell the store but I bought one of their brands with a steel tub - an LG, and it hasn't had a problem in 10 1/2 years - or they might start charging folks more. The cycle takes 52-57 minutes, the clothes not only come out clean, but they require less drying time than with other machines. No odor problems, either, since we let the machine air out after each use.

My clothes may be inexpensive but they're definitely not dirty when they come out of this machine. If turning knobs makes you feel like you're in control, perhaps you would enjoy this dial telephone I can't seem to get rid of in my yard sales.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:57 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Please don't tell the store but I bought one of their brands with a steel tub - an LG, and it hasn't had a problem in 10 1/2 years - or they might start charging folks more. The cycle takes 52-57 minutes, the clothes not only come out clean, but they require less drying time than with other machines. No odor problems, either, since we let the machine air out after each use.

My clothes may be inexpensive but they're definitely not dirty when they come out of this machine. If turning knobs makes you feel like you're in control, perhaps you would enjoy this dial telephone I can't seem to get rid of in my yard sales.
If yours is 10 years old, they are probably not made like that anymore. Besides, the SQ takes half the time to wash.

It's not the knobs as much as the replacement cost of the electronics.

About that phone, you should try a flea market or swap meet! I see them selling there I gave up my landline years ago

Old 08-24-2015, 08:03 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post

I've got two rotary phones in my house and ALL phones are corded... hate having to end a call because a battery is low or looking for one that has been misplaced.

I'm an engineer and maintain medical equipment as part of my duties... there are many benefits to modern electronics... longevity and low cost maintenance are often not.

Seems just about everything needs a service contract and when the manufacturer no longer supports the item... that is often the end of the line.

Two years ago... Mom told me it was time to replace her 1968 Avocado Kenmore Dryer... I asked why and she said it stopped working... for less than $5 I bought the replacement part and she is back in business... on a 47 year old appliance...

Her washer also needed a part called a wig-wag... and done.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:12 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I like to take a trip to the public library and look the current annual "Consumers Reports" buying guide for appliances as well as the most recent issues of the monthly magazine for any updates to the reliability / recall status.
Best Washing Machine Reviews
Best Washers For $800 or Less | Washing Machine Reviews - Consumer Reports
Best Washing Machine Buying Guide
Washers and Dryers Get More Efficient - Consumer Reports

You might also want to read this:
Washer Reviews - Best Washers
The Best Washer and Dryer | The Sweethome
Best Top-Load Washing Machines of 2015 | Top Ten Reviews
Best Washing Machines - Washing Machine Reviews
Shopping for a new washer or dryer? What you need to know - TODAY.com

Recalls:
http://wemakeitsafer.com/Washing-Machines-Recalls
https://goo.gl/lUhl7o

Happy reading

Old 08-24-2015, 08:36 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Better performance is easily achieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post
WA45H7000AW
CR says 70.
Step up to a better model.
Get a front loader.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:04 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
If yours is 10 years old, they are probably not made like that anymore. Besides, the SQ takes half the time to wash.

It's not the knobs as much as the replacement cost of the electronics.

About that phone, you should try a flea market or swap meet! I see them selling there I gave up my landline years ago
Apparently the SQ is aptly named. My machine does have a quick cycle but that's only for new items or clothing that's been in storage.

As for the replacement cost of the board, I should be so lucky. She'll want a new machine of a different color before I have to start changing out parts.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:06 PM

372 posts, read 722,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Interesting: GE Is Building the Great American Washer - Reviewed.com Laundry

GE thinks people are dissatisfied with HE washers, and is building traditional top-load agitator models that meet Energy Star standards (on certain cycles). They also feature a "Deep Fill" cycle for people who think putting 20+ gallons of water into the tub is the only way to get clothes clean.

FWIW, I love our LG WM3470HVA HE front-load.
I had the Samsung Front Loader Pair. Was very happy with the dryer. The dryer wasn't the problem. It was the washer, which almost always produced mediocre results, unless I went through numerous pre treating and soaking routines. Also didn't care for the mildew smells that would occur when using liquid "He" detergents. Sold them and went back to the top load with the GE model pair that were the predecessor to those in the article you mentioned above. They are almost identical with only a few differences.

Have had mine for over a year and will never look back. Clothes come out cleaner, less effort with the pre treatments, no more smells and gets out really tough stains. Both are also quieter...a LOT quieter, than my previous pair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House