Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 05:32 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times

Advertisements

The neighborhood has 12 homes, 13 utility poles, and 7 transducers. I think the voltage is 7.2 kV (not sure). In some cases the secondary distribution lines (120v/240v) is run from pole to pole as a way of getting closer to the house before it drops down to the home. It normally runs on it's own line just below neutral.

In one case the secondary power line is the only line below the high voltage line. You can either say the neutral line is missing or someone wound the (120/240) line around the neutral. The span is about 80'.

It may have been like that for decades, but there is no way to be sure. It could be an unexpected side effect of a truck hitting one of the poles last year. I believe that this situation is dangerous should lightning strike.

Does anyone agree with me? Can I tell the Electric Utility that this situation is potentially dangerous? Or am I being paranoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 11:03 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Why don't you just cut any and all speculation-

Call your power company and have them send a line crew out to inspect it. Paranoia averted!

Old 08-26-2015, 08:36 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The neighborhood has 12 homes, 13 utility poles, and 7 transducers. I think the voltage is 7.2 kV (not sure). In some cases the secondary distribution lines (120v/240v) is run from pole to pole as a way of getting closer to the house before it drops down to the home. It normally runs on it's own line just below neutral.

In one case the secondary power line is the only line below the high voltage line. You can either say the neutral line is missing or someone wound the (120/240) line around the neutral. The span is about 80'.

It may have been like that for decades, but there is no way to be sure. It could be an unexpected side effect of a truck hitting one of the poles last year. I believe that this situation is dangerous should lightning strike.

Does anyone agree with me? Can I tell the Electric Utility that this situation is potentially dangerous? Or am I being paranoid.
As a computer and electrical engineer working in power distribution, I can't agree with you. Neutrals will be protected from lightning strikes by surge arrestors at certain intervals (around here its every three poles.) If enough current faulted into a 120/240 line, the main breaker on the house would trip, protecting your house. Don't worry it s fine.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:33 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
It is no big deal. Frankly, the bare line below the high voltage might not even have lightning protection as a primary function but might be being used as a type of messenger line to limit stress on the other cables. Lightning protection typically run on TOP of any high voltage lines. In any event, lightning choosing to strike on wires below high voltage wires, when there is an easy path to ground within 40' would be a one in a million chance. Unless your area has more than half-a-million lightning strikes within 300 yards, you are over-cautious.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:21 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
It seems kind of unlikely the situation is as you describe. If it were, the homes which didn't have a neutral would be getting a return to the transformer only through the ground (that is, the physical earth), which would result in voltages varying with load. That's pretty noticeable. Most likely that wire isn't the neutral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House