Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 05:24 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Good god, you sound like an absolute peach. Whining about 4 foot bushes? And campers and above ground pools? You're really complaining about pools? Let me guess, a playground in your neighbors back yard must be the worst of your nightmares, eh? Jeez man, lighten up just a tad, you'll find life a little less miserable
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It sounds as though a below ground pool is ok though. Let's get to the real thorn here. Those autos that don't have a German emblem on them.
Bill, did you see that "Ford" in the Smith's garage? Peasants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Sheesh.

What HOAs are coming to, is this: You plunk down $700K for the house, then never move into it. No cars, no trucks, no hoops, no pools or swings, no visible children, no garbage barrels, no flags, no veggie gardens, and grass that looks like astro-turf. Visual and audible "perfection". Totally inhuman.
Actually I moved into a community that had a pre-existing HOA....some ten to fifteen years old. The covenants were written then, and revised about a half dozen years ago. I didn't have anything to do with writing the documents at either time.

Nor do I serve on our Board, but I do a LOT of volunteer work to keep the community active, vibrant, and a wonderfully cohesive community in which people are proud and pleased to live.

Now, to you who would tear down such happiness, here is a little tid-bit: In most (virtually all) states where communities have incorporated HOA's and Covenants, the Boards have a LEGAL obligation to enforce those covenants, or remove them by proper democratic means. It is NOT a pick and choose; it is not a "I like this, I don't like that" situation, and it is NOT an option to enforce or not enforce the covenants. If the Board has a set of Covenants, and they are not enforced, the Board is liable.

That makes it very easy for everyone. The homeowners know what is expected of them; the Board's responsibilities are laid out; and there is no gray area over things like where basketball hoops can be located. If it says "in the backyard" (or whatever), then it is real easy: in the backyard. The residents know it; and the Board is obligated to enforce the rule unless the residents vote, through an outlined process, to change the rule.

I just don't understand what is SO difficult. And for the record, I drive a Dodge and a VW....both going on eight years old. I don't have a pool, and I do have a wonderful vegetable garden that the neighbors are pleased to have in their community.

Yeah, okay, I have to take my Christmas lights down by January 15th. It is a real hell I can't even begin to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 06:04 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,337 times
I bet there were a few hoops left out in the neighborhood and then more and then more. Then kids were playing after 9 and hitting neighbor cars. And some hoops got moved away from the curb to have a better game. And then it was just easier to shut it all down and say all hoops should be put away.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:11 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
WHY there ARE HOAs!

And I can post numerous pics of great looking non-HOA places; your point?

Also; why does the HOA not just address things like that? Why do so many feel to go beyond that and get into the nit picky, absurd items? You act like any place without an HOA will by like your pics, when the opposite is true and city ordinances can easily solve those issues you pictured.

If HOAs would stick to things like you pictured, sure, great, but often they go way beyond any rational logic.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Actually I moved into a community that had a pre-existing HOA....some ten to fifteen years old. The covenants were written then, and revised about a half dozen years ago. I didn't have anything to do with writing the documents at either time.

Nor do I serve on our Board, but I do a LOT of volunteer work to keep the community active, vibrant, and a wonderfully cohesive community in which people are proud and pleased to live.

Now, to you who would tear down such happiness, here is a little tid-bit: In most (virtually all) states where communities have incorporated HOA's and Covenants, the Boards have a LEGAL obligation to enforce those covenants, or remove them by proper democratic means. It is NOT a pick and choose; it is not a "I like this, I don't like that" situation, and it is NOT an option to enforce or not enforce the covenants. If the Board has a set of Covenants, and they are not enforced, the Board is liable.

That makes it very easy for everyone. The homeowners know what is expected of them; the Board's responsibilities are laid out; and there is no gray area over things like where basketball hoops can be located. If it says "in the backyard" (or whatever), then it is real easy: in the backyard. The residents know it; and the Board is obligated to enforce the rule unless the residents vote, through an outlined process, to change the rule.

I just don't understand what is SO difficult. And for the record, I drive a Dodge and a VW....both going on eight years old. I don't have a pool, and I do have a wonderful vegetable garden that the neighbors are pleased to have in their community.

Yeah, okay, I have to take my Christmas lights down by January 15th. It is a real hell I can't even begin to share.
No, many times it is beyond what the rules say, it is the poorly written, thus the interpretation of the rules that cause issues. This is repeated numerous times across the US, anyone can search online for these HOA nightmares. HOAs also will use up their entire fund and go damn near into bankruptcy pursuing a matter of pride.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Good luck getting municipal "code enforcement" to do ANY nuisance enforcement, it may be on the books but it is not a priority! HOAs have ability and incentive to enforce infractions. I live in an HOA community and LOVE it! It's not for everyone, and that is why having freedom of choice works!
You do not have "freedom of choice"; the government in many areas have made it where only and HOA area can be developed, non-HOA developments are not allow, so this constricts the available supply of non-HOA areas for people to choose from. This is not the market force at work, this is the government at work, so there is no "freedom" in this if the government has rules against creating a non-HOA area.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:21 PM

48 posts, read 100,756 times
Woah.. lots of points! Great conversation!

To be clear, I am all for HOAs and the value they provide to keep the 'gunk' out. The community we live in is very well maintained mostly white collared professionals (physicians, small business owners, software engineers, etc).

We did an unofficial survey with residents via Facebook - Not one of the 30 or so who participated felt that basketball hoops are an eyesore...although the general remarks was that they are fine if the hoops are NOT on the sidewalk or street. On the driveway to the side, is fine.

Also, the folks who have the hoops get the high quality, aesthetically pleasing, professional looking ones.. not a basket jimmied on a wooden pole!

Basketball hoops aside...

Generically speaking, IF a MAJORITY of residents feel that something is OK, why should the HOA have a problem with that?

Hypothetically, lets say there is a legitimate survey conducted by a reputed neutral 3rd party... and if a majority of residents participate and vote (say 95% Yes and 5% No) in a poll and feel that something is OK, the HOA SHOULD honor the opinion.

They are paid to reflect the wishes of the majority of the people who employ them.
Democracy, anyone?

Old 08-26-2015, 06:52 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,910,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
It is also a widely held misconception that those of us who don't like HOAs don't take care of our own places.
Most of us know better. Most of us also know there are far too many people who live in slum conditions, and it and and does happen in any neighborhood.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:54 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
The majority of residents don't control HOAs. The busybodies who have the time and inclination to be on the HOA boards control HOAs. I live in a non-HOA neighborhood. Yeah, sometimes a neighbor's lawn goes a while without cutting. There's often a basketball hoop on some of the streets. One of my neighbors replaced some shingles and didn't bother to paint them; another has a driveway in need of replacement. Know how much this affects me? Zero. It's none of my business. It's unfortunate that all new neighborhoods are HOAs, because I like new houses better than old. Fortunately there's still renovation/infill without HOAs.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Sheesh.

What HOAs are coming to, is this: You plunk down $700K for the house, then never move into it. No cars, no trucks, no hoops, no pools or swings, no visible children, no garbage barrels, no flags, no veggie gardens, and grass that looks like astro-turf. Visual and audible "perfection". Totally inhuman.
..and completely and totally false, another person who believes rumors.. Perhaps you aren't repeating rumors, perhaps you made all of that up on your own?

Old 08-26-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
There's a reason why HOA homes are cheaper.
Not any truth to your false statement, it is exactly the opposite. How does it benefit you to spread falsehoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House