Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2015, 05:44 PM

13 posts, read 25,320 times

Advertisements

Hello, all. I'm looking to buy a 65 year-old all-brick house with a block foundation in southwestern Pennsylvania. It also has a small frame-built addition and a two-level composite deck with wood framing. I did, however, notice some cracks in the brick. Also, in the block foundation under the porch (which abuts, but is separate from the block foundation of the house), I noticed one corner block has fallen away from the foundation and there's a step crack overlying that.

I have attached images of the cracks I saw. The crack with the vertical component that has red filling is directly underneath a window and lays over an area of glass block in the foundation wall. Directly overlying the window is the very wide step crack with gray filling.

The un-filled brick step crack is on the back of the house.

I did not find any interior cracks to correspond with the exterior ones nor was there evidence of any recent interior patch jobs. The floors are not noticeably slanted.

Is this sort of issue fixable for a reasonable (i.e. $20,000 or less) cost? If so, how likely is it that the fix would be permanent?

I would like to have a structural engineer evaluate the house to determine the extent of the problems; however, the seller isn't willing to allow that without an offer. I would, of course, make any offer contingent on inspection, but if it seems to everyone here that these problems are bad enough that it's worth walking away, I won't bother. Thanks in advance for any advice you're able to give.

PS - I do have more photos available of the house, but don't want to post them publicly such that the house's location could be identified. I can send additional images by PM if necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Brick house I want to buy with step cracks, advise please-20150830_113144.jpg   Brick house I want to buy with step cracks, advise please-20150830_114245.jpg   Brick house I want to buy with step cracks, advise please-20150830_114928.jpg   Brick house I want to buy with step cracks, advise please-20150830_125847.jpg   Brick house I want to buy with step cracks, advise please-20150830_125900.jpg  

Brick house I want to buy with step cracks, advise please-20150830_125907.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 05:58 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
Quote:
the seller isn't willing to allow that without an offer.
This here screams RUN FORREST, RUN!!!! The most earnest money I would even consider putting down is ONE dollar and don't expect it back.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:53 PM

6,570 posts, read 6,736,907 times
The seller's actions speak volumes. I would walk.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:10 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,411,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodehunter View Post
Hello, all. I'm looking to buy a 65 year-old all-brick house with a block foundation in southwestern Pennsylvania. It also has a small frame-built addition and a two-level composite deck with wood framing. I did, however, notice some cracks in the brick. Also, in the block foundation under the porch (which abuts, but is separate from the block foundation of the house), I noticed one corner block has fallen away from the foundation and there's a step crack overlying that.

I have attached images of the cracks I saw. The crack with the vertical component that has red filling is directly underneath a window and lays over an area of glass block in the foundation wall. Directly overlying the window is the very wide step crack with gray filling.

The un-filled brick step crack is on the back of the house.

I did not find any interior cracks to correspond with the exterior ones nor was there evidence of any recent interior patch jobs. The floors are not noticeably slanted.

Is this sort of issue fixable for a reasonable (i.e. $20,000 or less) cost? If so, how likely is it that the fix would be permanent?

I would like to have a structural engineer evaluate the house to determine the extent of the problems; however, the seller isn't willing to allow that without an offer. I would, of course, make any offer contingent on inspection, but if it seems to everyone here that these problems are bad enough that it's worth walking away, I won't bother. Thanks in advance for any advice you're able to give.

PS - I do have more photos available of the house, but don't want to post them publicly such that the house's location could be identified. I can send additional images by PM if necessary.
These do appear to be signs of foundation movement and potentially improperly supported at one corner at least. Some have obviously been repaired while the ones that are open are unclear. Were these just not repaired or are they new signs of movement since the repair work on the others? Yes if you are interested in the home you should contact an Engineer for an evaluation. With that I would then contact several foundation repair companies for repair estimates to gain an idea of the cost.

Last edited by escanlan; 08-31-2015 at 10:08 PM..

Old 08-31-2015, 09:40 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Every contract SHOULD BE WRITTEN as contingent upon...

So, if the house meets ALL of your demands and your concerns are that of the brick/foundation/???- make an offer based on comps in the area minus say, $20k for possible brickwork and foundation work (I believe that's a realistic value- confirm with your agent. You do have an agent???). Your due diligence is usually 10days- get the people lined up BEFORE SUBMITTING the offer. If they accept, proceed if they don't then keep looking-

Do not; I repeat, DO NOT GET EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED TO A HOUSE! You will always spend more than you should

Old 09-02-2015, 08:39 PM

13 posts, read 25,320 times
Thanks for the replies. We decided to walk away. The possibility of this being an on-going problem plus behavior on the part of the seller which indicated to us that they're hiding information made it seem like it isn't worth the headache, at any price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House