U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 03:05 PM

284 posts, read 309,587 times

Advertisements

We're wanting to move to a retirement community built on a large lake. Because of our budget, we can't afford the "BIG" house on the lake, boat house, etc., so trying to decide which would be better. An existing home that would not be our preferred layout, and while it wouldn't have direct water access, it would give us nice views of the lake or build a new home to our specs on a lot that would have limited lake views, but would have direct access to the water.

Weighing out the pros and cons of each and looking for opinions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 04:24 AM

5,726 posts, read 10,794,637 times
The direct access might be more valuable if you plan on using the lake, like for swimming, sailing, paddling. If your retirement is more about sipping gin and tonics on the deck, then the lake views would be more valuable.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:35 AM

8,930 posts, read 4,601,307 times
Lakefront is always more sought after. Views are nice but most people want access and you may not get it with just a view

Old 09-01-2015, 06:32 AM

17,939 posts, read 3,646,966 times
Check into potential restrictions such as no fence or wrought iron fence. Will your property, your patio be in full view of walkers and boaters?

Old 09-01-2015, 01:18 PM

15,324 posts, read 57,454,674 times
Boil it down-

Do you NEED lake access? In other words, do you have some kind of watercraft that you would want to use at anytime?

If not, a view should do.

Or, you get real chummy with the neighbor across the street that has the waterfront lot AND the dock- savvy?

Old 09-02-2015, 03:41 AM

3,613 posts, read 3,589,276 times
Deeded lake access is a big plus for resale!! I agree with others though, is this more of a drinking coffee on the deck lake or is it recreational where people will be boating and such? If it is not a recreational lake, go for the view. If it is a large lake where people will be boating, fishing, etc., go for the access.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:27 PM

7,039 posts, read 8,253,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Boil it down-

Do you NEED lake access? In other words, do you have some kind of watercraft that you would want to use at anytime?

If not, a view should do.

Or, you get real chummy with the neighbor across the street that has the waterfront lot AND the dock- savvy?
This ^^^^. Don't know about the neighbors bit.

Most lakeside communities will have a common access area...beach/boat dock/etc. Get the view. The access is a big "meh" unless you/you have kids that want to swim/boat/paddleboard, etc. every day and there is no "public" access.

I live in a lake community.....BIG lake....35 miles. No boat (been there--sold that!). No lake access. Nice views. VERY happy with my decision. And a whole lot less headache/costs of maintaining a dock/beach/boat.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:16 PM

127 posts, read 139,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Check into potential restrictions such as no fence or wrought iron fence. Will your property, your patio be in full view of walkers and boaters?
Why would one get a house with a lake view and put wood fence to block those pretty views?

Old 09-02-2015, 06:16 PM

284 posts, read 309,587 times
Well, we know there will have to be a compromise somewhere. I would love lake access because I like to kayak and would love to go for morning paddles or swims. It's kinda my dream living. My husband on the other hand would probably prefer to sit on the deck and take in the views. Maybe as we get older, the views will become more important. We have a boat but plan to keep in at the nearby marina and there are common areas in the neighborhoods. Just having a tough deciding.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:19 PM

15,712 posts, read 50,521,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
We're wanting to move to a retirement community built on a large lake. Because of our budget, we can't afford the "BIG" house on the lake, boat house, etc., so trying to decide which would be better. An existing home that would not be our preferred layout, and while it wouldn't have direct water access, it would give us nice views of the lake or build a new home to our specs on a lot that would have limited lake views, but would have direct access to the water.

Weighing out the pros and cons of each and looking for opinions.
I think it boils down to what kind of a deal you can get on a "close enough" existing house, and how close it is to what you want.

I'm not seeing how a house you build directly on the water would have a "limited lake view" - if you are right on the lake, if you put in windows facing it, you should have a good view, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House