Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 25,638 times

Advertisements

Ceiling has three wires, red, black and white. Hooked up chandilier, black to black, white to white and capped red. Lights worked but could not use the wall switch to turn off and on. Lights just on permanantly (not an option, lol)
Then tried red with black and white with white after researching. WHen power back on I had NO lights to the new chandelier. SO it looks as if there is something going on with the red wire. Was I correct to hook up the red to the black as I've read? I'm thinking I need an electrician. Suggestions of anything else to check?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 03:09 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
First, TURN OFF THE POWER AT THE BREAKER. Not worth burning down the house or killing yourself.

THEN open up the wall switch too. Figure out if the switch is properly wired.

If the you paid attention to the wiring for the fan it is likely that that were TWO circuits, one SWITCHED for the light kit on the fan and second that was always how and controlled by a pull chain for the fan or maybe a separate switch or speed control for the fan --

Note the SHARED neutral from the switch side and the fan / ceiling side.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:11 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunter27 View Post
Ceiling has three wires, red, black and white. Hooked up chandilier, black to black, white to white and capped red. Lights worked but could not use the wall switch to turn off and on. Lights just on permanantly (not an option, lol)
Then tried red with black and white with white after researching. WHen power back on I had NO lights to the new chandelier. SO it looks as if there is something going on with the red wire. Was I correct to hook up the red to the black as I've read? I'm thinking I need an electrician. Suggestions of anything else to check?

How many wall switches? No do not hook red to black if you have two wall switches for fan and light

Ok typical
The black is your hot 120v load wire.
The white is the neutral wire.
The bare copper is the ground

This type of wiring would have only one wall switch.
If you had a red wire usually there would be two wall switches to separately control the fan and light.

Black goes to black. White to white and red to blue ( if there are two wall switches. ) bare copper to green wire

Old 09-07-2015, 07:47 PM

Default swtiches

2 wall switches only one of which was used for the light on the fan. THe fan blades themselves were turned on manually with a pull cord. So although it is a double switch, only one side was devoted to the fan.

So only the three wires in the ceiling fixture. REd, white and black.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:58 PM

of course for the chandelier I have a copper ground, white and black wires.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:22 PM

Had a friend walk us through installation. DId red to black, white to white. ALl worked and switch worked also however within an hour or so had two surges that lasted a second or so. Unhooked all and turned off switches and made an appointment with an electrician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House