Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 11:44 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Coal is 74 percent efficient,
It's closer to 80 to 85 in most units. One of the issues here is the BTU value per ton can vary from about 24 million to 28. A good average is about 25. At $200/ton and 12 cents per kWh it would have to be in the 400% range for efficiency for same BTU's per dollar.

Coal Boilers are not cheap, the one in the video I posted is about $9K on a pallet. However they are far cheaper than geothermal sytem and if you are young man you only have to buy it once. For supplementary heat they make small hot air stokers for as little as $2K that will throw about 90KBTU, you'll only get 2 or 3 decades out of cheaper unit like that.

The high efficiencies like that have been achieved since the late 40's and 50's believe it or not. Stoker designs have not changed much since then because if they make them anymore efficient you're going to start running into drafting issues.

The flue gases typically navigate a convoluted path before exiting the boiler. For example in mine there is 3 walls. This is difficult to describe but the two inside are the boiler walls, the outside wall is for the flue gases. The flue gases exit in the one corner the burn chamber and have to go around the whole unit between the second and third before they finally exit out the back. The flue exit itself is much lower than the height of the firepot inside. 99.9% of the time you can put your hand on the flue pipe and it will just feel a little warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 07:09 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
It's about 30K here. That's assuming you hit water in a well at a shallow depth, and some spots you have to go over 500ft to get it. Trust me- I have $5,000 in a dry well (for consumption/general household) that netted ZERO at 325ft. I stopped there. I would have to start over elsewhere, rough cost for the well is $12-$15K alone.
I do not think we are talking about the same kind of system. Nothing to do with a well.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:10 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
Our entire geothermal installation for our new 1500 sq ft house with full basement was about $23K. With the 30% tax credit, it dropped the total cost to within $300 of a standard air source electric heat pump (no natural gas available here).

We have 2 wells just outside the house, each 150' deep, for our loops. No need to hit water, just get the loops into the ground. We moved in the first of June and have had the thermostat at 72 since the day we moved in. Even throughout the weeks of temperatures in the mid 90s and humidities at nearly the same number, the house was very, very comfortable and our highest electric bill (which includes everything except the propane for cooking) was about $125. Expecting to see similar numbers for the heating season

Of course the SIP panels for the walls and roof and the insulated Superior wall system for the foundation system are also contributing to this. As our designer says, it's like we are living inside a foam ice chest.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:22 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Our entire geothermal installation for our new 1500 sq ft house with full basement was about $23K. With the 30% tax credit, it dropped the total cost to within $300 of a standard air source electric heat pump (no natural gas available here).

We have 2 wells just outside the house, each 150' deep, for our loops. No need to hit water, just get the loops into the ground. We moved in the first of June and have had the thermostat at 72 since the day we moved in. Even throughout the weeks of temperatures in the mid 90s and humidities at nearly the same number, the house was very, very comfortable and our highest electric bill (which includes everything except the propane for cooking) was about $125. Expecting to see similar numbers for the heating season

Of course the SIP panels for the walls and roof and the insulated Superior wall system for the foundation system are also contributing to this. As our designer says, it's like we are living inside a foam ice chest.
Very reasonable electric bills. Do you mind me asking what state are you in?

Old 09-12-2015, 11:14 AM

621 posts, read 1,123,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Off topic... the new Fujitsus and Mitsubishis mini splits are good to about -15F and -13F respectively (although I've heard they will keep running below that) , but more efficient the warmer it is (although they are still 300% efficient at 17F).
Where are you getting your efficiency numbers? Coefficient of performance numbers are derived from HSPF ratings which are a combined average of steady state efficiency at outdoor temperatures of 62°, 47°, 35°, and 17°. I'm not aware of any valid AHRI ratings at one outdoor temperature.

FWIW, comparing ductless to ducted HSPF isn't really a fair comparison. Ductless gets the luxury of adding a 62° outdoor temp efficiency to the average that ducted HP's don't

Old 09-12-2015, 11:19 AM

621 posts, read 1,123,961 times
Quote:
Air source heat pumps are pretty much worthless when the air temperature gets below 40 degrees, there efficiency goes down the toilet.
ASHP's, even an "ordinary" one, have efficiencies over 100% at or below 0°. You're confusing the declining balance point with the declining C.O.P.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:57 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
I haven't heard about these new units, I heard they were working on ways to extract heat from colder air, but didn't know they have done so.
Go take a look at the video I posted of a guy in Canada testing his Daikon unit. Mitsubishi with Hyper-heat H2i is considered the best right now (for cold climates). Tested at -13F

This is a pretty good testimonial of a Vermont customer that had an energy audit and Mitsubishi units installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKH--VgpTP8

Old 09-12-2015, 02:56 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
Where are you getting your efficiency numbers? Coefficient of performance numbers are derived from HSPF ratings which are a combined average of steady state efficiency at outdoor temperatures of 62°, 47°, 35°, and 17°. I'm not aware of any valid AHRI ratings at one outdoor temperature.

FWIW, comparing ductless to ducted HSPF isn't really a fair comparison. Ductless gets the luxury of adding a 62° outdoor temp efficiency to the average that ducted HP's don't
The Fujitsu's COP at 17F is 3.0 so, it's just an average. Average temps in January where I live (the coldest month) is 17F.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:57 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Go take a look at the video I posted of a guy in Canada testing his Daikon unit. Mitsubishi with Hyper-heat H2i is considered the best right now (for cold climates). Tested at -13F

This is a pretty good testimonial of a Vermont customer that had an energy audit and Mitsubishi units installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKH--VgpTP8
the Fujitsu RLS3H is actually better than the Mitsubishi FH series right now. It puts out more heat, at lower temps, more efficiently. I'm sure this changes pretty frequently as new models come out.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:10 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Very reasonable electric bills. Do you mind me asking what state are you in?
Ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House