Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2015, 09:24 PM

682 posts, read 2,565,765 times

Advertisements

Please give information if you have installed natural gas whole house or partial house generators in your residential home in the Phoenix area. I would like to find out the length of time they will run after a power outage as well as what care and maintenance is required year round on them.

Also, approximate costs would be appreciated.

altus2006
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 10:48 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,906,789 times
I'm in Texas and we have installed a number of backup units in homes in the country. Providing you have kept up with the maintenance on the unit and it's in top running condition, as long as there is fuel in the lines it can run for years non-stop. For a number of folks, natural gas is a good choice but it's not always available here. For that reason most we install are diesel but some of the smaller units are on propane. The Home Owner usually will upgrade to a much larger propane tank and then it's subject to how much fuel is in the tank when the electricity goes out. WE have several utility providers in the area. Some are quick to fix issues, some might take days.
Cost, depends on what you want. If you expect to have enough electricity to run all of the mechanical's of the house- fridge, lights, water heater, A/C, etc., you're talking a fairly good sized unit. It won't be pocket change. Again, depending on the demand, it could cost anywhere from 6-8 grand installed. That will keep the lights on and run the fridge, to $12-20,000 to keep everything running like nothing was wrong. What you need is a local electrician to evaluate what you need and get an estimate on a complete install. Then you'll have exact numbers on cost.
For a 2000 sq ft house with good insulation and low E windows, we've installed several units like this one. You can't run the A/C at 78F but you can run it on a limited basis. Installation can add 2-5 grand depending on where and if you want it in a shed.
Generac 6055-0 Synergyâ„¢ 20kW Variable Speed Standby Generator 200A Service Disc.+ Power Mgmt.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:34 PM

682 posts, read 2,565,765 times
Default Very informative response

Thank you for your very informative post. It is the kind of information I needed to get started.

altus2006

Old 09-16-2015, 07:18 AM

10,088 posts, read 6,418,641 times
I would have LOVED to have natural gas with which to run my whole house generator, because then I wouldn't have to worry about running out of fuel during an extended power outage. Unfortunately, I have to use a 500 gal. propane tank to run mine, as well as the water heater and gas stove, and the backup gas fireplace. However, in the 6 years I've had the generator, I've been really grateful when the power was out for several days to a week - it's automatic switchover and I don't have to worry about going out in the storm/hurricane (especially at age 65) to rig up a temporary unit. One of the best home purchases ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House