Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,050 times

Advertisements

Is this a do it yourself type of project or should i hire a contractor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 03:40 PM

248 posts, read 342,954 times
There are usually regulations about how a pool can be demolished/filled. I'd contact the local health department and building inspector and ask about the code in your state/municipality. From there, you'll have a better idea of whether you could do it yourself by renting heavy equipment or whether you'd need to hire someone.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:45 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,312 times
First, when you're at the grocery store, choose products with more packaging over those that have less. Second, start eating takeout more. Third, stop recycling.

Place a thin layer of potting soil and grass seed over the top of the pool after filling it.

You should be able to accomplish this within a matter of months without breaking a sweat or paying a lot.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:57 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
First, when you're at the grocery store, choose products with more packaging over those that have less. Second, start eating takeout more. Third, stop recycling.

Place a thin layer of potting soil and grass seed over the top of the pool after filling it.

You should be able to accomplish this within a matter of months without breaking a sweat or paying a lot.
Until the health department or, building inspectors find out.........and they will.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:58 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josse.padilla View Post
Is this a do it yourself type of project or should i hire a contractor?
Not a do-it-yourself. Needs jackhammers, soil compactors, much heavy equipment. Done wrong, and the soil will sink into a muddy pit when it rains. Concrete left in the ground can prevent building something else on the spot. Permits required and in many places, neighbor notification needed.

Runs $4k to $10k depending on if you want all the concrete removed or just broken up and buried.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:21 PM

Are there groundwater issues with a pool? When we bought this house, there was a 200 year old dug well in the front yard. About 8 feet deep and 5 feet around, surrounded by old granite slabs. I could lift the ancient lid with one hand. It was a major hazard, safety wise. To meet safety code, we could either put a 300lb lid on it or decomission it. Turns out it was a big deal from an aquifier protection perspective too. We needed a permit to decommision it and the work could only be done by a well driller licensed in our state. It had to be filled in with clean, native, crushed stone. It only cost $600 to do the well, including removing all the antique granite slab (which later became a very nice retaining wall, the granite alone was worth far more than the $600). A pool is a much bigger hole in the ground! Though it was never designed to access the aquifier like a well would be.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:44 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKay9 View Post
Are there groundwater issues with a pool? When we bought this house, there was a 200 year old dug well in the front yard. About 8 feet deep and 5 feet around, surrounded by old granite slabs. I could lift the ancient lid with one hand. It was a major hazard, safety wise. To meet safety code, we could either put a 300lb lid on it or decomission it. Turns out it was a big deal from an aquifier protection perspective too. We needed a permit to decommision it and the work could only be done by a well driller licensed in our state. It had to be filled in with clean, native, crushed stone. It only cost $600 to do the well, including removing all the antique granite slab (which later became a very nice retaining wall, the granite alone was worth far more than the $600). A pool is a much bigger hole in the ground! Though it was never designed to access the aquifier like a well would be.
That was a good price.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
That was a good price.
I know, I suspect it was a bit of a "gift", because we also spent about $7K with the same driller to repair the well head for the drilled well we use, replace leaking pressure tank, replace some piping clogged with iron deposits, put in a softener and install a radon treatment system . They even used their huge caterpillar tread thing to place the massive granite slabs (one was well over a ton) right up where we were planning to build the retaining wall, so we could save money on the other end when building the wall.

Off topic, but I've always been on town water before, I love the well water, since they've fixed it up. No chlorine, no flouride, pressure is good and I'm not subject to the "outdoor water use bans" that folks on town water have been this very dry summer. Having control over the quality of water coming into the house is a revelation . Worth the upfront investment and small maintenance costs.

Last edited by KKay9; 09-19-2015 at 05:07 PM..

Old 09-19-2015, 05:25 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
One big reason to have your old pool filled in by professionals is that if it's not done right, you can have problems with the house foundation later on.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:35 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
If you just fill it in, make sure whoever does it punches big holes in the bottom. If you don't, the entire pool can LIFT out of the ground. Do NOT ask me the physics behind this, but I've seen it with my own eyes and it's really strange. We're not talking a lot, but enough to screw up whatever you put there. It can happen with empty pools too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House