Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 04:59 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
The function of a bathroom fan is to exhaust humidity to prevent mold. As a fan pulls humidity out it also pulls good air out, so it should be located away from the air vent. I don't believe they are safe to put directly in a wet area, like over the shower.
"Bad" air as well. Code prohibits a bathroom from having an exhaust air vent into the HVAC system, and especially if it has a supply vent (our house in IL had one, our house in TX does not), then it needs to exhaust at least as much air out again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 06:10 PM

153 posts, read 278,137 times
As previous people have said the properly sized fan is all that matters. If your fan is undersized it doesn't matter where you put it. Noise level is only an added benefit to the situation.

I believe the standard for figuring out your CFM requirements is 1 cfm for every square foot of bathroom (assuming standard 8' ceiling heights).

I do have a house that has a very noisy fan right inside the shower, sure it's loud and ugly but it is 'very' hard to steam the mirrors up in that room. And no it never gets wet, even despite having little ones splash around in there. If you have the right CFM; placement is whatever gives you piece of mind.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:15 PM

168 posts, read 285,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's a big electrical waste. Much better to set up your cell phone with a white noise app...draws much less electricity.
Maybe he (like us) also likes a little air movement at night. There are bigger things to worry about than someone else running a little electric fan all night.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:50 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post
Maybe he (like us) also likes a little air movement at night. There are bigger things to worry about than someone else running a little electric fan all night.
You feel air movement from your bed to your bathroom? You have one heck of bathroom fan, I'd have to say.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:32 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
You feel air movement from your bed to your bathroom? You have one heck of bathroom fan, I'd have to say.
I was responding to the poster that said ALL fans should be quiet. And no, I don't run my bathroom fan all night.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:06 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,168 times
Quote:
That's a big electrical waste. Much better to set up your cell phone with a white noise app...draws much less electricity.
Big electrical waste? I've got a ceiling fan that uses 2.22 watts to move 1,340 CFM and a whole house fan that uses 100 watts to move 1,527 CFM of air. Consumer fans (especially bathroom fans) don't use much electricity. Compare that to 5,000 watts that a 3-ton central air conditioner condenser uses.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:14 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,500,867 times
I installed a Panasonic Whisper Quiet series fan in our master bathroom. It moves 150CFM, vs the basic, noisy 50CFM Broan it replaced. I did have to run new exhaust ducting, though, which wasn't terribly easy. I installed it adjacent to the old fan, close to the center of the room. I would have cut out a larger hole around the existing fan, but there wasn't enough room between the trusses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House