Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 10:32 PM

563 posts, read 1,786,919 times

Advertisements

Master bath has a single GFCI outlet that is not working, with a dedicated breaker switch - meaning the breaker switch has a single line to the outlet, and that is it. When the switch is off, only that outlet should be off.

Problem is, the outlet is not working, GFCI receptacle tester is showing "open hot". My non-contact voltage tester shows the line coming into the outlet is hot, and the line going to the adjacent outlet is also hot. Even the neutrals are hot. I replaced the gfci outlet, and same issue. I looked at the breaker itself, but don't see the wire being loose at all.

What lead to this - the breaker kept tripping when the hair dryer was turning on. we would just flip it, and it work work, then trip again. Now we flip it, but can't get any power into the outlet.

The outlet sits between two mirrors, above each mirror is a light. i am pretty sure the line to the outlets is a solid line, i doubt it was spliced behind the mirrors, but i guess i could check there?

Any suggestions appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 12:49 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
First thought- tester not working correctly.

Second, is it even wired correctly?

Maybe this will help narrow it down for you-

Trade Secrets - Troubleshooting Home Electrical Problems

Old 09-29-2015, 02:02 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,990 times
You saying the neutrals are hot makes me think there is an open circuit in the neutral. Does that adjacent outlet work?

Old 09-29-2015, 07:19 AM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,146,547 times
Are you saying you took the outlet out of the j box and examined and tested the wires with a non contact tester? if not...the wires at the back of the outlet should be checked

Old 09-29-2015, 10:40 AM

563 posts, read 1,786,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
First thought- tester not working correctly.

Second, is it even wired correctly?

Maybe this will help narrow it down for you-

Trade Secrets - Troubleshooting Home Electrical Problems
I know the tester works, i validated it on a different, working outlet. I assumed it is wired correctly, it was working at some point, then stopped working altogether. I will check out the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
You saying the neutrals are hot makes me think there is an open circuit in the neutral. Does that adjacent outlet work?
It didn't work, but what i should probably do is, remove the outlet completely to isolate the issue. I will try that. Maybe the GFCI is wired incorrectly, i could also remove the GFCI and have the lines go straight to the adjacent outlet. I should have done a better job of process of elimination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
Are you saying you took the outlet out of the j box and examined and tested the wires with a non contact tester? if not...the wires at the back of the outlet should be checked
Yes - I removed the outlets from the box, and verified the black wires were hot with the non contact tester.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:48 AM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,146,547 times
Maybe the inside of the GFCI device is fried and needs to be replaced if there is still electricity present.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 40,156 times
Hi
Tester shows open hot wire.Breaker is not tripped, I have opened all 4 outlets
changed the breaker in case and still I dont have power for those 4 outlets.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:43 AM

This happened because I was using sewing machine and because of electric shock breaker has tripped .BREAKE IS FINE now but i dont have power in some parts.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:59 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,613,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alireza564 View Post
Hi
Tester shows open hot wire.Breaker is not tripped, I have opened all 4 outlets
changed the breaker in case and still I dont have power for those 4 outlets.
Any chance there is a 5th outlet you are overlooking ? Behind a cabinet maybe ?

Can you tell which outlet is first in line on the circuit ? The open is between there and the breaker panel.

Do you have a voltmeter to test for voltage at the breaker's output lug ?

Old 10-09-2017, 04:10 PM

I only have 4 .I have voltage meter and multimeter, but where do you want me to check because I dont know which one is rhe first one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House